Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth, Reserves and Loan Players

Options
  • 23-02-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Just thought i'd start this thread to keep an eye on those players who are hopefully coming along nicely.

Harry Kane,Dean Parett and Mpoku all had great games against Coventry for the under 18's where they won 8-1 hopefully in the next couple of seasons we will see them force there way into first team action where Parett has already made his debut and Kane has been on the Bench a few times this season.

THE LOAN WATCH from http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/loanwatch220210.html
    Andros Townsend scored his second MK Dons goal as his loan spell at the League One club continued to go from strength to strength after he helped them to a 3-1 win over Southend United on Saturday.
    The winger's strike 10 minutes from time put the game out of sight for the Shrimpers and takes the Dons to within five points of the play-off positions.
    But Adel Taarabt was the only other of our young players out on loan to end up on the winning side over the weekend, as he came off the bench 13 minutes from time to see out QPR's first Championship win since Boxing Day, a 2-1 success over Doncaster.
    Staying in that division, Kyle Naughton was on the wrong end of a 1-0 defeat for Middlesbrough at the hands of high-flying Nottingham Forest.
    In League One, Steven Caulker played as Yeovil Town made their first ever league visit to Charlton Athletic but came away with a 2-0 defeat.
    And ex-Yeovil boy Jon Obika fared no better with new club Millwall, for whom he came on as a substitute 20 minutes from time in a disappointing 1-0 defeat at strugglers Wycombe Wanderers, although the young striker did force a fine save from home goalkeeper Tom Heaton in the dying minutes.
    On Friday night, our young stopper David Button was beaten only by Ryan Lowe's 71st minute penalty as Shrewsbury Town were defeated 1-0 at second-placed Bury.
    The England Under-20 international impressed again, keeping Paul Simpson's side in it with two top drawer saves late on.
    And you can see David in action tonight when Shrewsbury take on fellow League Two promotion contenders Rotherham United live on Sky Sports 1.
    Of our more senior players out on loan, Robbie Keane scored his first home goal for Celtic in their 1-0 victory over Dundee United to keep the pressure on leaders Rangers at the top of the SPL - with the big Old Firm derby next Sunday.
    Glasgow-born Alan Hutton was back in North London on Saturday, but it wasn't a trip to remember as Sunderland were beaten 2-0 by Arsenal at the Emirates.
    And Jamie O'Hara was also on the wrong end of a Premier League defeat as Portsmouth's plight continued with a 2-1 reverse at home to Stoke City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I still think its fcuking crazy that we abandoned the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I still think its fcuking crazy that we abandoned the reserves.

I'm reserving judgement for a while, the last few years the reserve fixtures were all over the place cos we play them at lower division grounds that were often unplayable due to weather or needed by the clubs themselves.

I really hope Townsend does well, I was very impressed with him vs Arsenal in the Youth FA Cup last season.

Bit disappointed Mpoku and Kane didn't get a run out vs Bolton during the week, but I didn't see the game so can't say if the subs made sense as they happened.

My mind has been made up mate. I think its fcuking stupid to have scrapped it. I thought it was a fine way of keeping fellas ticking over when not playing regularly, or helping fellas on recovery from injury. And also having a look at some of the younger lads without sending them out on loan.

Dont get me wrong, im all for sending a lad out on loan if you feel he needs to taste some 1st team football etc...but scrapping the whole reserve set up was stupid.

At the moment, townsend is the only good prospect I think we may have in our ranks. Time will tell if he develops as we hope. The rest including Bostock appear to lack the ability to go all the way, maybe Im being harsh, I hope Im wrong, as its been a long time since we brought a young lad through the ranks to the 1st team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote: »
    My mind has been made up mate. I think its fcuking stupid to have scrapped it. I thought it was a fine way of keeping fellas ticking over when not playing regularly, or helping fellas on recovery from injury. And also having a look at some of the younger lads without sending them out on loan.

With the exception of playing time for squad players, I don't think the reserves served any purpose for us in the last few years, and we could address the first bit by not stock piling right backs IMHO. Can't think of many who've made a step up from reserve to first team the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Bently and Defoe where taken off because of knocks and Palacios because he has this bug.
    He had already said aswell that Gudjohnsen would get a run out so that didn't give much opertunity to them

• Advertisement

With the exception of playing time for squad players, I don't think the reserves served any purpose for us in the last few years, and we could address the first bit by not stock piling right backs IMHO. Can't think of many who've made a step up from reserve to first team the last few years...

Agreed, not many at all have made the step up at all, but is the answer to scrap it all together? I dont think so ! Surely the problem goes a bit deeper than just the reserves.

And is the purpose of the reserves not to keep squad players and potential squad players sharp and ready and fit in case needed !

Emmanuel Mbola insists that a move to Tottenham is on the cards after training with the North London club.
    The 16-year-old is currently playing his football in Armenia with Pyunik Yerevan.
    However, Mbola is now in dispute with his employers, who he is contracted to until 2011, and claims they are threatening to scupper his hoped-for move to White Hart Lane.spacer.gif
    "I am not going back there (Pyunik Yerevan) because I have issues with my contract. I could not sign for Tottenham because I have to finalise things with my club," he told the Zambian Post.
    "Hotspur liked me a lot but it is just because of the contract confusion with Pyunik and my agent."
    Trial spell

Mbola has just returned to Zambia from a trial in North London and the left-back thoroughly enjoyed his spell with the club.
    "It was fantastic because I trained with the first and second team," Mbola said.
    "They were happy with me and I should be going back maybe next week depending on how fast the issues are sorted out here."
    Elijah Chileshe, a director at Mbola's former club Mining Rangers, is confident that the youngster could be freed from his contract in Armenia as he signed when he was under 16.
    "I have written to FAZ (Football Association of Zambia) to deal with the matter because they [Pyunik] made him sign a contract as a 15-year-old which is against the rules; he was a minor," Chileshe said.
    Despite being just 16, Mbola has already amassed a staggering 20 senior caps for Zambia.
    Mbola will now remain in Zambia, training with the nation's Under-17 side, until his contract situation is resolved.

Possible new player

Andros Townsend has been recalled from his loan at MK Dons

He is available for the FA Cup as is Livermore.

Dons Manager also was quoted as saying it's difficult going into the changing room at half time and saying the only one playing was an 18 year old from tottenham during one particularily bad day at the office for Paul Ince.(Para-phrased because i couldn't remember exact Ince quote)

Adam Smith's early strike gave a Spurs XI victory over a young West Ham United reserve side in a friendly at Spurs Lodge today (Tuesday).

Both teams were looking to bounce back from friendly defeats against our club partners San Jose Earthquakes, who toured here last week.

But it was the hosts who won the day, with young full-back Adam, currently on loan at Torquay United, cutting in from the left-hand side after 10 minutes and hitting a right-foot shot into the far corner.

Development Coach Clive Allen took charge of the side, and said: "It was an excellent goal, and with the way we started the game I think we deserved it.

"It was a competitive game played in the right way, and after last week's game that was played in very different conditions, it was a really good test for us.

"I thought we defended very well and controlled the possession for most of the game, creating a number of opportunities.

"Their goalkeeper was in good form but we worked him and played well in the first period especially."

Spurs (4-4-1-1): J Walker; K Walker, Dervite, Byrne, Smith; Townsend, Livermore, Bostock, Rose; Mason; Obika

Advertisement