Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wide lens in north county

• 23-02-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys wonder can someone help would anyone be around the rush /lusk area willing to pop over my house to take a few photos of rooms as im looking to rent them out.

wide lens be a good idea cause rooms aint that big.

would really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi Blahblah, what's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

was thinking along the lines of a 20 euro donation to the haiti fund? not looking to get a professional job

ah that's very charitable of you, well done.

I guess people have gotten greedy and are not willing to help others out. not to worry ill sort something

would these be the same people who spent years in college studying photography, have years of experience and have invested over €15,000 in equipment?

I've no problem with someone doing this for you for free but don't go calling me greedy because I think it's reasonable to expect payment when you provide a quality service.

greed? how about you give one of your rooms to a homeless haitian person rather than greedily charging someone rent? do you work for free?

anyway, if you don't have a wide angle lens and nobody volunteers their services then just take a series of pics and stitch them together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Oh pack the bags, we're going on a guilt trip.

I'd rather give 20 quid to Haiti than go round to someone else's house and photograph it for them, in order that they use those pictures to make money.

Oh wait, I've already given that much and more.

If you cared about the Haiti fund you'd just give your 20 euros, rather than holding it to ransom until you get something you want from a stranger.

BlahBlah10 wrote: »
    not looking to get a professional job

Guess you didnt read that. get off your high horse if your not interested thats fine but id thought id ask.

Thanks for the idea on the attaching pics together never thought of that.

Im not holding no haiti fund to ransom. I simply cant afford to pay someone and thought rather then give them 20 they would prefer it go to charity.

I didnt think it would be that hard to take 3 photos of 3 rooms

dont worry lads I wont be back on this category

i genuinely hope you get someone to do it for you blahblah, i'm not on any high horse... and I'm not greedy, I would have no problem doing pro bono work for a charity but not for someone who plans to exploit my time, skill, experience and 'wide angle lens' for profit.

seriously, all the best.
    you should go over to the motors forum, might be able to get someone to service your car for nothing.

im not exploiting it. I was honest in what I need the photos for if I wasnt then I would have been using ya. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Guess you didnt read that. get off your high horse if your not interested thats fine but id thought id ask.

Thanks for the idea on the attaching pics together never thought of that.

Im not holding no haiti fun to ransom. I simply cant afford to pay someone and thought rather then give them 20 they would prefer it go to charity.

why bother coming into a forum asking for someone to do "non-professional" pics of a room for you to rent - tell ya what ... I'll turn up with my mobile phone and do them and you can give €20 to the petrol costs.

infact why dont you use your own mobile phone - stand in a corner and take a photo, if you are not concerned about a professional look to the images why bother looking for anyone to assist you !!

I'm more interested in an answer to these question ? why would anyone of us want to help you rent your room - what's in it for us ? (I'm not greedy, for me....dont see the point in doing photos of a room for you - when I dont know you)

I have no problem helping out a friend and on occasion a stranger (but you clearly state that this is purely for your benefit) ....can I have €100 towards my rent and bills this month ? please (I even said please)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

im not exploiting it. I was honest in what I need the photos for if I wasnt then I would have been using ya. thanks

I'll come and do it for you. But I want you to donate €500 to the Haiti fund. €20 is an insult.

Jesus christ are all use pissed off today or something?

It was just an idea I had to make the wide pics look better. I took one with my own camera but you cant get the full size of the room in.

I swear you guys never asked anyone for help for your benefit??

As I said I offered 20 eur for haiti. Ive no idea what you guys would normally charge so offered what I can afford right now.

If you dont see the point in helping then dont reply to the thread im interested in speaking to people who dont mind helping. simple really

trooney wrote: »
    I'll come and do it for you. But I want you to donate €500 to the Haiti fund. €20 is an insult.

thanks trooney for the offer but cant afford that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This is a largely identical proposition:

I would like to rent your room, but instead of paying you the going rate, I will donate 20 euro to charity every month. If you refuse I'll accuse you of being greedy.

Not too nice to hear it that way is it?

As for your problem, if you don't have a friend with the equipment there is a free alternative:

Take a bucket load of pictures from a single spot in the room, left to right and up and down, download autostitch which is free software and will put them all together, then use picasa to crop to a rectangular crop and you will be left with largely the same effect as a wangle lens.

apologies for giving you a hard time blahblah, don't mind us on here we're all just having a bad day, if you do genuinely want this done for nothing can I suggest befriending an amateur photographer who would do it as a favour to a buddy. Your best bet might be to sign on to a dating agency citing photography as one of your hobbies. alternatively phone the IPPA and ask them to recommend a part time snapper who might do it off the books for you - they're very helpful with queries like that. :pac:

This is a largely identical proposition:

I would like to rent your room, but instead of paying you the going rate, I will donate 20 euro to charity every month. If you refuse I'll accuse you of being greedy.

Not too nice to hear it that way is it?

As for your problem, if you don't have a friend with the equipment there is a free alternative:

Take a bucket load of pictures from a single spot in the room, left to right and up and down, download autostitch which is free software and will put them all together, then use picasa to crop to a rectangular crop and you will be left with largely the same effect as a wangle lens.

LOL come on taking pics and giving a room in your own home cannot be compared. I know my job as a cab driver ive given plenty of free runs to people who were either friends and at times stranger who had no cash and needed to get somewhere.

Thanks for the idea of the autostitch ill give it a bash but next time please dont be so harsh towards new people on this category theres simply no need for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Jesus christ are all use pissed off today or something?

It was just an idea I had to make the wide pics look better. I took one with my own camera but you cant get the full size of the room in.

I swear you guys never asked anyone for help for your benefit??

As I said I offered 20 eur for haiti. Ive no idea what you guys would normally charge so offered what I can afford right now.

If you dont see the point in helping then dont reply to the thread im interested in speaking to people who dont mind helping. simple really

Firstly - you are the one asking for help.....so maybe you should have worded your post properly instead of insulting the photographers and photo enthusiasts in here.

I am insulted by the fact that you offer a paltry donation to charity for someone effectively doing you a favour,

- the reason you were not able to get the whole room into a picture with the camera you have is simply because the room is small and with a wideangle lens you can give the appearance of more room, as another poster has said - why dont you stitch the images together.

Look at it from our side ...... you are asking for someone who has spent a decent amount of money on a lens to turn up an do pics of a room for you....so it will look appealing to prospective renters...and in return...you say you will donate €20 to charity....whoop de doo ...charity begins at home - I'd rather watch you give the money to someone on the street rather than take your word that you will donate to charity.

I wouldnt have insulted anyone if I wasnt given a smart answer first.

well then ill give you the 20 euro or the person on the street. If someone was in the area and was willing to do it thats all I asked. I didnt ask to be made a laughing stock at.

At least I offered something to charity.

I will be stitching the images together and ive already said thanks too other posters for saying this.

I didnt ask you to comment wether you thought what I was doing was right or wrong.

I asked for a favour nothing more nothing less.

I wouldnt have insulted anyone if I wasnt given a smart answer first.
    I guess people have gotten greedy and are not willing to help others out.

sorry that you misinterpreted my comment commending your charitable nature, it wasn't intended as a smart answer - i haven't a sarcastic bone in my body.

anyway have to go, have a sack that needs filling with puppies before being washed in a stream.

sure mini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

Can't believe this thread. Chill out people. If somebody doesn't want to do this person renting a room a favour, just ignore the thread. Really no need for the abuse.

Not the first time I've seen this kind of thing on the photography forum though, and part of the reason I rarely post, but just "lurk" as they say. This particular case was really over the top though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have read Crap on here before but this is down right RUDE.

BlahBlah10 asked for a favour from someone in the area Rush/Lusk and offered €20 for charity. It could be just a neighbour with a camera who would do it and be happy to do it If it does not suit dont bother replying and dragging this into a slagging match. Careful getting off your high horses folks.

€20 is a lot of money to a lot of people at this time. If the people replying are professional photographers I sincerley hope they have a better manner when dealing with clients who will often look for a bargin.

I live in Rush/lusk area and would gladly do it for you but it will be Friday. I will pm you later.

Oh would any of you guys ever borrow a lens or light stand?

I really appreciate it. I'm in the process of sorting out one last room and look forward to hearing from you there's is no rush next week would do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If I was nearer I would help you out but if you want to take a load of shots I will stitch them together for you, send me a pm for email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you are renting a room.not selling your house. does not matter if you get the whole room in. just make it look bright and warm.

and you can up load several pics to most of these sites so just take a pic of one room from both sides .

that should be fine. and i find normally its the price you have it up will determine the amount of views not the pictures, because most people renting will have a good idea of the type of house as 9/10 they are local anywyas

i would not stress over the quality.

you should still donate that 20 euro by the way :D

Hi matron.

Well I've had the rooms for advertisement since start of dec at a rate that is 50 a month cheaper then everyone else. The rooms are magnolia and plenty of storage.

This is why I think it's the pics as I've only received 3 calls since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think its more the current market rather than your pictures.

post up the ad and maybe someone here can offer suggestions on the pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

There's really no need for most of the replies here. Way out of order. Points can be made more politely and in different ways.

Unfortunately I don't have a wide angle lens but would help if I could. Although I do agree that the quality of the photos are probably not what's stopping you from renting the house. But every little helps, so if you get the shots you're after then good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

crazydaize wrote: »
    There's really no need for most of the replies here. Way out of order. Points can be made more politely and in different ways..

It's the attitude of the OP here that's out of order. He's asking for strangers to provide a service for him so that he can make money. And he expects them to do it for free. And then when people raise an eyebrow at this he describes them as "greedy and not willing to help others out" ?

Besides which, I thought there was a 'services wanted' thread for this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This Thread has been closed by a CMod & as far I am concerned it will now remain closed.

The OP should probably have been placed in the Services Thread in the Stickies. It was due to bun fights like this that thread was created.

If you have a problem with a thread REPORT IT do not get into a slanging match in thread. Thank you to those who have done this.

Personally I think the original request was naive but not rude. If you are not interested in assisting then just move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement