Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientologists in Limerick

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Are there many of these followers/sellers of the writings of a B standard science fiction writer in Limerick?

I ask because one tried to force his way into a private conversation yesterday with his ramblings about aliens, auditing, and the promise of upper levels if a person donates a set amount of money. :rolleyes:

One of the people in the group I was with is a psychiatrist, so I have a feeling that she may have been targetted by the ignorant person who thought it fine to just sit at a table uninvited and spout some science fiction rethoric, a lot of it condeming psychiatry.

What I took from it is that they are desperate to be seen as a religion as their commercial venture would then receive the tax incentives that most religions can get.

In the end we had to threaten to call the gardai to get rid of the person as despite many requests asking him to leave us alone, he continue to harrass and be borderline abusive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doubt it was an actual Scientologist if they were babbling on about aliens or 'donating' money, they try their best to downplay that side of things initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Doubt it was an actual Scientologist if they were babbling on about aliens or 'donating' money, they try their best to downplay that side of things initially.

Well the way he phrased it was not as a donation but rather as a fee for counselling sessions and personal auditing. He also made reference to "study courses"

The psychiatry side of things he really got stuck into, calling it an evil practise that destroys the mind.

Whatever he was he came across as a crackpot with some twisted beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont see how anyone can view scientology as any less crackpot than the "real" religions, catholics have a virgin birth, a talking snake, a boat with every species of animal in the world on it, the worlds first zombie, an ignited shrubbery that talks and magic wafers that get stuck to the roof of your mouth. At least scientology has an alien warlord, giant warships, nuclear weapons hidden in volcanoes and Tom Cruise, thats much cooler on the crazy belief scale :D

krudler wrote: »
    I dont see how anyone can view scientology as any less crackpot than the "real" religions, catholics have a virgin birth, a talking snake, a boat with every species of animal in the world on it, the worlds first zombie, an ignited shrubbery that talks and magic wafers that get stuck to the roof of your mouth. At least scientology has an alien warlord, giant warships, nuclear weapons hidden in volcanoes and Tom Cruise, thats much cooler on the crazy belief scale :D

I don't hold the Catholic church in any high esteem either, but I am not going to ligitimize the newer one by calling it a religion when even it's pulp writer creator called it a business and not a religion, and only seemed to decide on calling it a religion when obvious financial benefits came with that title.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I don't hold the Catholic church in any high esteem either, but I am not going to ligitimize the newer one by calling it a religion when even it's pulp writer creator called it a business and not a religion, and only seemed to decide on calling it a religion when obvious financial benefits came with that title.

Catholicism is a business as well, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves, this is a religion that used to tell people they could buy their way into heaven after all, the crown jewel of the Vatican , St Peter's Basilica, was built using money from people trying to pay their way into gods good graces, how is that any different from scientologists paying to attain higher "levels"

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Catholicism is a business as well, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves, this is a religion that used to tell people they could buy their way into heaven after all, the crown jewel of the Vatican , St Peter's Basilica, was built using money from people trying to pay their way into gods good graces, how is that any different from scientologists paying to attain higher "levels"

I will repeat that I don't hold that church in high esteem and that at no point did I say it was better than anything else.

I asked about what I asked about because that is was the person who rudely tried to force his way into a private conversation kept going on about, and was wondering if similar had happened to anyone else whilst out in town.

I could not give a hoot as to which organisation is better or worse at getting money off of people, I was more concerned about the crackpot spouting off about personal responsibilities, the evils of psychiatry, and the benefits of personal auditing/counselling/ e-meters and what not.

If people want to believe in stuff, then that is there own business regardless of how obvious a business it may seem. But I defo take offence to a guy who marches up to strangers in a cafe and tries to force his beliefs onto others. I would have the same objections if the guy had been going on about any other scheme designed to take money from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I love the leader

I for one welcome our new Thetan overlords

Advertisement