Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In a different world...

• 23-02-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

...transfers of professional footballers was banned 20 years ago. Based solely on academy players, which team would win the league?

United? Neville, Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Brown, Butt, Evans, O'Shea, Gibson? Solid, but unspectacular, with the very best players now long in the tooth.

West Ham? Lampard, Joe Cole, Ferdinand(s), Carrick, Defoe form a very solid basis for a team. The likes of Noble and Sears add depth.

Everton? Rooney, Osmon, Vaughan, Hibbert, Richard Dunne, Rodwell, Gosling, Anichibe...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Leeds Delph,Woodgate,Milner,Lennon,Rose .....

Arsenal too but I don't have the time to copy and paste there squad :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City -

Schemeichel

Mears
    Richards
    Onuoha
    Jordan

Barton
    Johnson

Wright-Phillips
    Whelan
    Ireland

Sturridge

Subs: Boyata, Croft, K. Etuhu, D. Etuhu, Miller, Logan, Weiss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

United? Neville, Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Brown, Butt, Evans, O'Shea, Gibson? Solid, but unspectacular, with the very best players now long in the tooth.

add in Fletcher, Greening, Higginbotham, Bardsley, Shawcross, Luke Steele, Macheda, Welbeck, McShane, Eagles, Campbell, Ebanks-Blake, Eckersley, Pique, Pugh, Rossi, Spector

with the exception of Steele they are all in or have played in the Premier league.

Steele

Brown
    Pique
    Evans
    Neville

Beckham
    Scholes----Fletcher
    Giggs

Rossi
    Campbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Robinson

--Richardson--Woodgate--Kilgallon--harte

Lennon--Delph--Milner--McPhail--

Smith--Kewell

bench:

Carson, howson, woods, taiwo, rose, garbutt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea

Nick Colgan

Duberry ---- Huth --- Terry
    Harley

Morris --- Mancienne
    Forsell
    Stoch
    Sinclair

Cole

Subs - Pidgeley, Cork, Hutchinson, Clement, Dalla Bona, Borini, Sahar.

Ugh, pathetic. I bet in 5 years the youths we have coming through now would develop into better players.

West Ham have produced some great players.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont even want to try and do a Liverpool one. Very embarassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Barcelona's team would still be superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca's team would be obviously good. Assuming that you mean under the age of 16 for United, I'd expect

Steele
    ---Neville
    Brown---Evans
    O'Shea
    ---Beckham--Fletcher---Scholes
    Giggs---
    Welbeck----Campbell

With Simpson, Jones, Butt, Gibson and probably King in that situation by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Arsenal:

Mannone
    Eastmond Djourou Touré Cole
    Muamba
    Wilshere Fàbregas
    Larsson
    Vela
    Bendtner

Subs from: Gibbs, Traoré, Coquelin, Mérida, Barazite, Aliadière , Cruise, Eastmond, Emmanuel-Thomas, Bartley, Gilbert, Hoyte, Lansbury, Murphy, Randall, Simpson, Sunu, Szczęsny, Watt, Pedro, Stokes, Bentley, Thomas

Not a bad team, very youg...surprise surprise! A few players playing out of position. I reckon we would be there or there abouts. Any foreign players included are because Arsenal is their first senior club. Could swap Bentley in for Larsson but Bentley has issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Villa would have

Myhill, Ridgewell, Cahill, Samuel, Hitlzeberger, Gardner, Stephen Davies, Hendrie, Agbonlahor, Vassel, Delfouneso

And probably a few more that I've forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

jasonorr wrote: »
    Arsenal:

Mannone
    Muamba
    Wilshere Fàbregas
    Larsson
    Vela
    Bendtner

Subs from: Gibbs, Traoré, Coquelin, Mérida, Barazite, Aliadière , Cruise, Eastmond, Emmanuel-Thomas, Bartley, Gilbert, Hoyte, Lansbury, Murphy, Randall, Simpson, Sunu, Szczęsny, Watt, Pedro, Stokes, Bentley, Thomas

Not a bad team, very youg...surprise surprise! A few players playing out of position. I reckon we would be there or there abouts. Any foreign players included are because Arsenal is their first senior club. Could swap Bentley in for Larsson but Bentley has issues.

No transfers allowed so no Fabregas etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Melion wrote: »
    Scrap my team so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Arsenal:

Mannone(signed from Atalanta)
    Eastmond Djourou(Étoile Carouge FC) Touré(ASEC) Cole
    Muamba
    Wilshere Fàbregas(Barcelona)
    Larsson(Eskilstuna)
    Vela(Chivas)
    Bendtner(Copenhagen)

Subs from: Gibbs, Traoré(Monaco), Coquelin(Lavallois), Mérida(Barcelona), Barazite(NEC), Aliadière , Cruise, Eastmond, Emmanuel-Thomas, Bartley(Bolton), Gilbert, Hoyte, Lansbury, Murphy, Randall, Simpson, Sunu(Châteauroux), Szczęsny(Legia Warsaw), Watt, Pedro, Stokes, Bentley, Thomas

Arsenal may have been where some of these players made their first team debuts etc but they weren't their first team. The OP wanted to make a list of the players teams would have without transfers and the teams would be made up of players solely from their academies as a result the vast majority of these players wouldn't be available to Arsenal.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Arsenal may have been where some of these players made their first team debuts etc but they weren't their first team. The OP wanted to make a list of the players teams would have without transfers and the teams would be made up of players solely from their academies as a result the vast majority of these players wouldn't be available to Arsenal.

I thought players brought in to the youths were fair game. Arsenal was their first senior club, they were taken from the youths. If not, we got fook all, still probably do ok. Start this thread again in 10 years time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Iago wrote: »

add in Fletcher, Greening, Higginbotham, Bardsley, Shawcross, Luke Steele, Macheda, Welbeck, McShane, Eagles, Campbell, Ebanks-Blake, Eckersley, Pique, Pugh, Rossi, Spector

Macheda, Pique and Rossi were purchased so not sure they'd count, even without them though it's admittedly still a strong team

Arsenal:

Mannone
    Muamba
    Wilshere Fàbregas
    Larsson
    Vela
    Bendtner

You've got some nerve leaving out one of the greatest wingers of our generation.....that's right.....

Jermaine Pennant!!! :D:D

PaulieC wrote: »
    You've got some nerve leaving out one of the greatest wingers of our generation.....that's right.....

Quit it with your big bold writing, he's shit and we bought him from Notts County!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he came form notts county.

i dont think people get the rules here, or else people dont know a lot about how youth academies work these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For consistency, let's take PHB's approach of being at the club in question since they were under 16.

Liverpool:

???
    S. Wright-Carragher-Matteo-Warnock
    Potter-Guthrie-Gerrard-
    ---Mellor----Fowler---Owen

Pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

to all my fellow utd fans o shea was a transfer was he not signed when he was 17,18 or somethin so wouldn't be seen as a youth product of utd. dont think he would've played youth team football.even if he played 1 yr in the youths and a couple of reserve yrs you still couldn't call him a product of the academy when he played here in waterford til he was 17'18. hardly brought through the ranks now was he!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Ipswich:
    Richard Wright
    -Jamie Peters-Titus Bramble-Richard Naylor-Matt Richards
    Darren Ambrose-Owen Garvan-Kieran Dyer-Ian Westlake-
    -Darren Bent -Conor Wickham

Wright is a good keeper but its fairly weak at fullback with Peters playing somewhat out of position but other than that I think I'd take a team with that midfield over our current one. Up top would be pretty strong as well with Wickham looking like he has the potential to be a good player.

Quit it with your big bold writing, he's shit and we bought him from Notts County!

:D <---- These little fellas indicate humour which is what I was going for so relax!! Of course he was sh1t you'd want to be a proper space cadet to think he was in any way good.

I was under the impression he came through the Arsenal ranks and was unaware he was signed from Notts County so apologies for my misinformed post, as for the way the post was presented however i.e. with its 'big bold writing' - I'm afraid you'll just have to get over that

he came form notts county.

i dont think people get the rules here, or else people dont know a lot about how youth academies work these days...

Apologies - Im aware of the rules was just certain Pennant started off at Arsenal...tbh it's not like I was going to waste my time googling such a dire footballer just to be sure!

:D <---- These little fellas indicate humour which is what I was going for so relax!! Of course he was sh1t you'd want to be a proper space cadet to think he was in any way good.

I was under the impression he came through the Arsenal ranks and was unaware he was signed from Notts County so apologies for my misinformed post, as for the way the post was presented however i.e. with its 'big bold writing' - I'm afraid you'll just have to get over that

The only reason I responded was because we signed him from County, didn't really care about the rest of the post...

The only reason I responded was because we signed him from County, didn't really care about the rest of the post...

But....but...you mocked my big bold writing - BULLY!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Liverpool:

???
    S. Wright-Carragher-Matteo-Warnock
    Potter-Guthrie-Gerrard-
    ---Mellor----Fowler---Owen

Pretty poor.
    Could trim it down into a helluva 5-a-side team mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

PiE wrote: »
    Could trim it down into a helluva 5-a-side team mind.

Might be there only chance of a trophy for years to come...Shocking that a team like Liverpool isn't producing anything through the academys, even Everton has had lots of gems come through theirs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Iago wrote: »

You forgot the immaculate Robbie Savage!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For Liverpool, since 16, i'd probably have;

Bouzanis
    Kelly
    Carra---Whitbread----Warnock
    Anderson--Gerrard--Guthrie--A.Hammill
    Pacheco
    Owen

Bouzanis is the only keeper i can think of that has definately been with liverpool since 16.

I haven't seen whitbread since he joined Norwich, but saw him looking very impressive for Millwall a good few times.

Jack Hobbs would be another option at CB, doing well at Leicester.

I could still see Adam Hammill and Paul Anderson becoming very good players and was very disappointed when both left. Both wanted more first team football opportunities though so its fair enough.

Pacheco and Owen looks pretty decent up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For Liverpool, since 16, i'd probably have;

Bouzanis
    Kelly
    Carra---Whitbread----Warnock
    Anderson--Gerrard--Guthrie--A.Hammill
    Pacheco
    Owen

Bouzanis is the only keeper i can think of that has definately been with liverpool since 16.

I haven't seen whitbread since he joined Norwich, but saw him looking very impressive for Millwall a good few times.

Jack Hobbs would be another option at CB, doing well at Leicester.

I could still see Adam Hammill and Paul Anderson becoming very good players and was very disappointed when both left. Both wanted more first team football opportunities though so its fair enough.

Pacheco and Owen looks pretty decent up front.

How can one forget God?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any liverpool one without Fowler is a bit of a joke tbh

especially those that will include names like Pacheco

what about Stevir Mac? was he not a youth product? did a bit for ye no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

kryogen wrote: »
    Any liverpool one without Fowler is a bit of a joke tbh

especially those that will include names like Pacheco

what about Stevir Mac? was he not a youth product? did a bit for ye no?

Yes but is it not players who are still around today? I know Fowler's playing in Oz but he'd be no use today.

I've been a big critic of Rafa lately for certain reasons but his decision to take complete control of the club at reserve and academy level and do a massive clear out from top to bottom was spot on.

We have some real prospects of all ages coming through and now it looks like we have the staff and system in place to nuture that talent properly, I applaud Rafa for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

PHB wrote: »
    Barca's team would be obviously good. Assuming that you mean under the age of 16 for United, I'd expect

Steele
    ---Neville
    Brown---Evans
    O'Shea
    ---Beckham--Fletcher---Scholes
    Giggs---
    Welbeck----Campbell

With Simpson, Jones, Butt, Gibson and probably King in that situation by now.

Guiseppe Rossi for Campbell.

Why are people freaking out about Fowler? I LOVE God, he's one of my favourite players of all time, but I would have Pacheco and Owen starting in a current day lineup. Would have God on the bench, but considering he's been dropped by his Australian league team, and isn't the trimmest he's ever been, I wouldn't be starting him in the prem ahead of either of those two. Sad as it is to say, he's very much not the player he was.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

...transfers of professional footballers was banned 20 years ago. Based solely on academy players, which team would win the league?

West Ham? Lampard, Joe Cole, Ferdinand(s), Carrick, Defoe form a very solid basis for a team. The likes of Noble and Sears add depth.

Everton? Rooney, Osmon, Vaughan, Hibbert, Richard Dunne, Rodwell, Gosling, Anichibe...
    Gosling was signed from Plymouth. O'Shea moved to United aged 17. Beckham was at Spurs until he was 16. Defoe was at Charlton until 16/17.

Most players are signed from other clubs. Where do you draw the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Galvasean wrote: »
    You forgot the immaculate Robbie Savage!!! :pac:

Peter Beardsley (edit: he was transferred to United), Darren Ferguson and David Platt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Giggs came through the city academy but was rejected so he went to united

edit he joined United just before he turned 16 so never mind.

The Liverpool team is pretty bad

Bouzanis
    Wright
    Carra----Sanchez
    Staunton
    McManaman---Gerrard
    Thompson--Insua
    Fowler---Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pacheco Pacheco Pacheco Pacheco Pacheco

You'd swear he had just been named young player of the season rather than only playing 30 minutes for the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

noodler wrote: »

You'd swear he had just been named young player of the season rather than only playing 30 minutes for the first team.

Also, he was signed when he was 16 so wouldn't count, for the record.

noodler wrote: »

well he got in my team for the simple reason that him and Mellor are the only 2 strikers our academy has produced that were with us from the age of 16, since Fowler and Owen. So with Owen straight in, its down to Mellor, Pacheco and Fowler, and in current fitness and form, that has to be Pacheco.

<edit> I thought the rule we were going by was they had to be with us when they were 16, which he was. Sure, that was the year he signed, but should still count imo.

I see above Staunton and McManaman. I think we're playing different games, I'm picking people to play, as they are now, not retired men who were great when they were young. Insua also wasn't signed till he was 17/18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Sorry, I took it to be under the age of 16, which would mean the player would have to be 15 at the time of signing (just going by PHB's criteria, that is)

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Sorry, I took it to be under the age of 16, which would mean the player would have to be 15 at the time of signing (just going by PHB's criteria, that is)

I dunno, I took it to mean "could play U-16". (dont know what month the cut off is, but i played U-16 when I was 16)

Advertisement