Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Club Group Texts

• 23-02-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Trying to set up a group text for a cycling club ie upcoming events,spins postponed due to weather etc. Need to be able to send up to 1000 texts some months. I have 250 a month how do I bridge the gap to 1000 on the few extra months without spending too much.
    thanks
    Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

antod wrote: »

Cheers Antod but 750 txts at 10c 75euro. Looking for something around 20euro or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

2 cents a text? You're joking right. Don't know any service that does it less than 8c/text.
    Flankerb wrote: »
    Cheers Antod but 750 txts at 10c 75euro. Looking for something around 20euro or less.

I know o2 have unlimited texts for 20euro month on one of their prepay sims just wanted to see if anybody had any advice on getting the best system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Flankerb wrote: »
    I know o2 have unlimited texts for 20euro month on one of their prepay sims just wanted to see if anybody had any advice on getting the best system.

All operators have this. They also have webtexts which are free to send, and they store your contacts details online which makes it handy.

o2 give 250
    meteor 300
    and vodafone have 600 webtexts.

Using the prepay unlimited texts for €20, you can connect the phone to the pc and send that way, rather than manually select each contact on the phone.

• Advertisement

Cheers Davy, Have the webtext side fairly well covered, it was the what do I do when I run out of webtexts I was worried about. I was suprised that they have such a prepay offer. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You will find all the details on the plan here:http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Plans/Free+SIM+cards/O2+Experience+More/

The fair usage allowance is 5000 texts a month, so you should be well covered. Dont forget you will be building up €20 each month, and wont be spending it if only using the free texts. Then every 7 months you would have enough credit to send the 1000 texts at 13c each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

elderlemon wrote: »
    2 cents a text? You're joking right. Don't know any service that does it less than 8c/text.

There are plenty of web based services that allow you to send a text for 2 or 3 cents each. A few that come to mind that I have used are betamax services (e.g. voipbuster, justvoip, smsdiscount etc) and fishtext. Many of these products can be used with mobile phone clients to send them as well. Furthermore, these are international texts.

Davy wrote: »
    You will find all the details on the plan here:http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Plans/Free+SIM+cards/O2+Experience+More/

The fair usage allowance is 5000 texts a month, so you should be well covered. Dont forget you will be building up €20 each month, and wont be spending it if only using the free texts. Then every 7 months you would have enough credit to send the 1000 texts at 13c each.

We wont need it every month so will top when we need it. Which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭anton

Last time I heard http://www.twilio.com/sms/ were doing sms at 0.03USD a pice, might be worth looking into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

I set up a service like this for a small pub I work in. We have about 105 people registered for the service and I usually send out a 2 page text every week about music, games and whatever.

Anyway, I just bought the cheapest prepaid Nokia available on Meteor, top up by €20 a month and get free texts.

For handiness I connect the phone via USB to a pc and use Nokia PC Suite to type up the text messages, back up all the contacts and keep a record of all the texts I send out. It might seem like a bit of extra hassle but most Nokias only let you send a group text to 20 people at a time, with this you can just do up the text, add all the contacts, press sent and come back 10 minutes later and it’s all done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I set up a service like this for a small pub I work in. We have about 105 people registered for the service and I usually send out a 2 page text every week about music, games and whatever.

Anyway, I just bought the cheapest prepaid Nokia available on Meteor, top up by €20 a month and get free texts.

For handiness I connect the phone via USB to a pc and use Nokia PC Suite to type up the text messages, back up all the contacts and keep a record of all the texts I send out. It might seem like a bit of extra hassle but most Nokias only let you send a group text to 20 people at a time, with this you can just do up the text, add all the contacts, press sent and come back 10 minutes later and it’s all done!

I did similar with a group of 74 people and used a Nokia E71 because you can do groups on the phone as well as via PC Suite. I haven't tried sending a group txt directly from the phone yet but am having reliability problems sending from PC Suite. When sending a txt from PC Suite I usually get a number of failures where the phone comes up with "failure to send to 08x-xxxxxxx". I end up taking note of the failures and going back and sending individually - very frustrating. I have broken down the group into 3 smaller groups but get the same problem. Sometimes after a group attempt the phone will fail on all txts from PC Suite and I have to power off/on the phone to get txt sending going again.

Just wondering if anyone else has these experiences sending from PC Suite? I pulled the latest software onto the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MoreOran

Has anyone ever tried www.Teamer.net ? They claim their service won't cost the organiser anything to send group texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

MoreOran wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried www.Teamer.net ? They claim their service won't cost the organiser anything to send group texts.

Hmmmm, first post eh?

Anyway, I've had a look and signed up. Sent out notifications for game this weekend, 5 players have responded already.
    This looks good, much easier than my meteor webtexts which only allows me to send one group text a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

On the Dublin 15 forum we use Teamer for our 6 a side football meet ups.

So far so good. Been using for a few months now.

Advertisement