Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The news and star

• 23-02-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Jesus...what a shambles of a newspaper.

We have two "journalists" in mairead wolmot and Gillian o Neill with two columns that belong in a take a break magazine...not a local paper. This week the two of them bitch about Ashley Cole "(think he's one of the coles from Ursuline court)..as well as going on about Kerry Katona and some other crap culture ****e that are of no interest to anyone. How these people are paid to write this drivel is beyond me.

Elsewhere there seems to be stuff from the courts all over the paper...that will suit many but why not just have it on one page? I think if it wasn't for the court pages this paper would be a leafet. Oh and front page this week? Jedward mania. Enough said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Personally i love the court notes. Its a guilty pleasure of mine, But on a serious note i think that anyone who talks about the likes of kerry katona and Cole outside of football should not be refered to as a journalist. Are you saying abouttobebanned that they have like a full article blowing on about these muppets?

On a side note, i'm delighted that my plan of marrying cheryl is one step closer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yea, agree with you there. I've always had a problem with the court pages in local papers. It just strikes me as lazy for a paper to fill it's pages with tales of minor brushes with the law. I'd reckon that unless a case results in a prison sentence or huge fine then it hardly warrants column inches. Jeeze Loiuse, who gives a rat's arse about some clown being caught pissing in public or carrying a small quantity of 'jazz tobacco' ... or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think you're a shoe in with Cheryl to be honest.

And have a read of their "columns" this week and decide for yourself.

The court pages these days are dominated by foreign nationals...and as much as they are a guilty pleasure they're spread out all over the paper...it's ridiculous. These writers...the two girls I've mentioned, should be writing about Waterford..the night life, the youth scene, local restaurants business etc...my guess is all they do is go home
    from their cushy job, slip into their pjs and watch soaps and x factor specials all night so really don't have a clue what's happening in Waterford...except of course what the facebook updates of their friends tell them.

I'm sure they are lovely girls hut they are wasting their abilities writing about the lives of British celebrities.

I know the news and star changed their format to tabloid but I wasn't aware that their mentality and moral code changed with it.

Jaysus...as I write this...I've just been proved wrong. There are a bunch of middle aged men and women sitting opposite me...I think they're here to talk and learn Irish together...anyway, they're talking about ashley cole now. Sorry gillian, sorry mairead, I was wrong... Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Totally agree with the op , its never been the same since it was printed in tabloid format. I do like the court pages , when its all printed together not scattered around from page to page filling in the gaps left by the rest of the tat.

...the two girls I've mentioned, should be writing about Waterford..the night life, the youth scene, local restaurants business etc...my guess is all they do is go home
    from their cushy job, slip into their pjs and watch soaps and x factor specials all night
    I'm getting all stoked up now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

it's better than the munster express anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

iseegirls wrote: »
    it's better than the munster express anyway.

Agreed, when it comes to sports anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They're both as bad as each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I like em. I only look at the pictures to see who I know. Wouldnt be bothered reading the ****e in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

both papers are muck these days tbh

Waterford Today ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I go to tescos pick them up,glance at them for two mins and put them down again.

decies wrote: »
    I go to tescos pick them up,glance at them for two mins and put them down again.

i cant do that. Id feel weird reading it and putting it back down. Remember years ago there was this mad one who used to go into the shop where carry out is now in lisduggan. She would go in and open up the broad sheets and cover the ice cream fridge and read the whole paper. She could be there for over half an hour reading it. She gave me some looks a few times when I asked her to move for a second so I could get a loop da loop out of the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

seanybiker wrote: »
    i cant do that. Id feel weird reading it and putting it back down. Remember years ago there was this mad one who used to go into the shop where carry out is now in lisduggan. She would go in and open up the broad sheets and cover the ice cream fridge and read the whole paper. She could be there for over half an hour reading it. She gave me some looks a few times when I asked her to move for a second so I could get a loop da loop out of the fridge.
    Good one,that reminds me does anybody actually buy books in the book centre or do just people go in for a free read.:)

Good one,that reminds me does anybody actually buy books in the book centre or do just people go in for a free read.:)
    Ah I dont mind reading in the book centre. Sure they have seats and all for ya.

O yea, I love going in for the free read on a Saturday but then again I sometimes end up buying the book. The day they get a wine license is the day I'll move in :p

old gregg wrote: »
    O yea, I love going in for the free read on a Saturday but then again I sometimes end up buying the book. The day they get a wine license is the day I'll move in :p

a nice smoking area be cushty also.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

yea a late licence and a good dj would be the job as well....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

News and Star has gone down hill with a long time. Sport in the paper is reasonably good but the news section is not worth talking about. Some of their news stories or so called news stories are utter crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

their building on Micheal Street is in some condition too ... a real eyesore right in the heart of the City ... TCH should be ashamed of themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

comeraghs wrote: »
    their building on Micheal Street is in some condition too ... a real eyesore right in the heart of the City ... TCH should be ashamed of themselves

They are moving arent they.

• Advertisement
Advertisement