Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Desks/Tables?

• 23-02-2010 12:57pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to get a new a new table for my pc etc. Currently I have it on something like this - but its not very good, its way too small. Apart from a monitor, mouse and keyboard I have some other stuff on the table like speakers and also a dj console, so this is really not big enough. Dimensions are Height 70cm, Width 120cm and depth 50cm. It's not long enough for all my stuff, its not deffo enough so you cannot really sit under it without your nose being 2 inches from your monitor, it would be nice to have it a bit higher too so you can sit under it easier. I want something about 160-200cm wide, 80-120 deep and 80cm+ high. Ideally I'd like something with at least one set of drawers for storage etc too.

Anyone have any ideas of where I can get something like this? Ikea is the obvious choice but looking on the site there is nothing that perfectly matches my needs. However maybe I can do a mix-and-match type thing if I can find the right bits, has anyone done this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Garoid6

I got a beautiful white Jonas desk at IKEA, looks great and stylish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Having never found a suitable computer desk, because they're all too small and badly designed, I had to go down the DIY route like a lot of other people. MDF is your friend, and a good supply of Elastoplast for when things go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Built my desk/shelving unit with help from my dad(let him at it for all the tricky bits). Its an L shape and all the shelves are above the longer side, starting about 80cm above the desk with a narrow shelf(15cm deep) then deeper(25cm) the rest of the way up to the roof. The desk itself is 1.2M along outer side of the L and 1.7M along the other. .6m deep the whole length bar obviously the corner. This is where the monitor, HDDs, KB and mouse go and are connected down via a hole in the very corner. The desk is supported by 2 stainless steel legs and batons on both walls. Its laminate MDF that we sprayed with several good coats of laquer.

Its quite the gucci:p Thing is the space it takes up is quite significant but I've never like "straight" desks. This kinda setup would let you put your MIDI/Mixers on one side and have the other free for other work. I'd do that bar I have loads of other junk filling up the space.

You would need though:
    Table saw(could be avoided, but more hassle)
    Jig saw with long narrow bits
    Router
    Spray system
    Hammer action drill for mounts

I think just hit Ikea :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Exactly, I did think about it but I'd rather save myself the hassle... ;)

Advertisement