Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Weather Destroying my garden!!!!!

Options
  • 23-02-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Hey folks since January the cold weather has been slowly but surely killing my garden.

1) I have approx 60ft of Griselinia all of which has no leaves left on it. Trust 4ft stalks are not appealing!!! Are these dead or will they grow back?

2) Ihave two potted bay tress out front. Noticed today all the leaves are gone brown and begining to curl obviously dead too:mad:

3) Before the snow fell with, the mild weather, i had approx 60 kilos of daffs planted in front of that hedging that had begun to come up and have since completly stopped growing?

4) had gotten a lot of hard landscaping done last august and every plant that was in that section appears dead!!!!

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There's not really a lot of advice can be given, other than 'wait and see'. A lot of gardens have similar problems.
    I would suspect the daffodils will come on eventually.
    Wait to see what happens with the grisalinia, when the weather finally warms up a bit you may see buds forming. You can check whether the plants are completely dead by scraping a tiny bit of one trunk with your thumbnail and if it is green underneath its probably ok.
    The bay tree roots may be frozen, in which case you may have lost them, but wait and see what happens, they may put out new growth, possibly from the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DKOK

This is the story across the country, the grissilinia is almost certinaly dead, and the bays too, the bulbs will come back. You have to remember this is the coldest winter we have had for 30 years. I expect spring will come on with a bang after such a long cold period, you will then be able to assess the damage properly by the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

Apart from playing the waiting game is there anything that i can do to nurse my bay trees, which have suffered a similar faith to racso's, back to life. Is there a particular type of tree food or fertilizer that might hlp. Only the outermost leaves appear to be dying at the moment, but i'm sure this will spread to the rest of the tree soon enough...

Any help would be really appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have planted strawberrys in big pots . 2 weeks ago. very slow growth.
    pots have been pulled over to the french doors of my house. This seems to keep the heavy frost of them. With the heat from the house acting as a mild heater.

new growth only starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

El Camino wrote: »
    Apart from playing the waiting game is there anything that i can do to nurse my bay trees, which have suffered a similar faith to racso's, back to life. Is there a particular type of tree food or fertilizer that might hlp. Only the outermost leaves appear to be dying at the moment, but i'm sure this will spread to the rest of the tree soon enough...

Any help would be really appreciated...

If the bay trees are still alive they will probably be ok. The weather has been very dry now for quite a while so they probably need watering. You could give them a feed in a couple of weeks or so, but I would not give them anything yet. If there are significant chunks of branch that have died off I would suggest you cut them back to live wood, but if its just a few leaves or part leaves don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just to say the hedging seems to be coming back to life and the daff's and tulips seem to be growing again.

The bays are not doing so well will try what looksee suggests above.

On a seperate note the last week has been a pleasure to be back out in the garden with the stretch in the evenings pluss good weather and getting a bit of shape back on it. I also have my 2yr old out "helping" me and i use that term lightly reckon he could cause more damage with his shovel then the frost ever did :rolleyes: but we all started somewhere:D

Advertisement