Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - no audio over HDMI cable

Options
  • 23-02-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

So I've just had a 15m HDMI cable installed that goes from my PC to my AV receiver. I've got an Atlona AT-HD500 to merge my video and audio from my PC and output the signal onto the HDMI cable. Unfortunately, I'm getting the video but no audio is coming through.

To troubleshoot, I connected a laptop in the same configuration (using the same HDMI cable) but got the same result. However, when I substituted the HDMI cable for a 2m one, everything worked.

My question is:
    a) is it possible that the cable was damaged during the install (eg. perhaps bent a little more than it should have been). If this is the case, then wouldn't the video not work also or is it possible to just lose the audio?

or

b) is it more likely that the cable was bad in the first place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

could be the length of the cable that's causing the issue?

do you really need 15m?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Unfortunately, I do need 15m. This evening I borrowed a friends laptop which has an HDMI output (that also outputs audio) and connected it to the cable to see what would happen and it worked fine, audio and video. So it's not the cable, it's the Atlona unit. It must not output a strong enough signal to be transmitted over such a distance. Bummer :(

Advertisement