Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scalextric / Slot car racing in Dublin

Options
  • 23-02-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello all,

unlike in the UK, the States, Australia, France, Germany and so on, there isn't much of a slot car racing scene in Ireland, which as I'm very much into my slot cars is a shame!

However I am part of an informal group who meet up every second Thursday night in Dublin (North and Southside) in each others homes for racing. We use a variety of 4 lane analog tracks (mine is made from wood and is very smooth, there is a Ninco track and the others are scalextric) and generally have a bit of fun.

I set up a simple blog to try and promote the hobby which you can see here:

http://dublinslotcars.blogspot.com/

Please do send me a PM if you are interested in coming along to a race night or even just to talk slot cars.

Ronan

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I never got into slot cars (trains are more my thing) but I have always liked the look of a good layout, well done, it all looks great!

Don't be shy in posting pics on here please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ronan71

Dyflin wrote: »
    I never got into slot cars (trains are more my thing) but I have always liked the look of a good layout, well done, it all looks great!

Don't be shy in posting pics on here please. :)

Glad you like the look of the track! Here is a site dedicated to wood scalextric tracks in Canada that gave me the idea to do it in the first place:

http://www.oldslotracer.com

I'll try to add more pics later on.

There is an active Dublin model train club I do believe, some of the guys I race the scalextric with are also into trains in a big way. I think there are around 40+ in the train club. Anyway, I'm into cars big and small so scalextric suits me! LOL!

Thought I'd try bumping this thread, given that Marks Models and Hamelys sell a reasonable amount of Scalextric stuff I'm amazed there aren't more people out there keen to race them in Dublin.

If anyone is interested in meeting up every 2 weeks to race slot cars then please contact me as myself and the others in the group would love to get a few more regulars on board.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Ronan:
    If you look back into the archive several pages back there is another thread on this subject.
    Or use the search function.
    There may be other interested boards members in that thread, that you wish to contact by pm.

Will do, I'm sure there are a few more racers out there if I look hard enough!

• Advertisement

Thought I'd bump this thread. Just on the off chance there might be someone out there interested in slot car racing.

We race every 2nd Thursday night in the Dublin area and we would love a few more regulars because if only one or two regulars can't make it on the night then we don't have enough people to both race and marshall the cars. A shame there isn't more interest in the hobby, clubs seem to be in every sizeable town in the UK, but apart from our small group there aren't any in Ireland apart from a group in Belfast.

We don't take it too seriously and it's usually a fun evening out of the house!

PM me if you have any interest in scalextric at all.

Ronan

Advertisement