Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database Administration

Options
  • 23-02-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Im going on Friday to a company about work experience with db administration. I have studied database development but not administration. Anyone who has worked in this able to give me pointers on what I should know/study?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Administration looks after the day-to-day running of a database. Typically, you would look after backups (possibly the most important DBA task), configuration, errors escalated from support/development staff (end-users typically would not contact you), patching, installing, cloning databases (for development, perhaps) and so on.

You tend to be a bit of a jack-of-all trades, a bit of system administration, a bit of networking, lots of scripting and a bit of programming.

Usually, you would be expected to have industry certification in database technology, such as Oracle, MSSQL Server or some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

should also know how to monitor the database performance, trouble shoot slow running queries, understand SAN technology, database backups/mirroring/restoration, file groups, deadlocks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Be able to answer "what happens if the system fails" .. .what do I look at, what are the likely causes of downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    Im going on Friday to a company about work experience with db administration. I have studied database development but not administration. Anyone who has worked in this able to give me pointers on what I should know/study?

Thanks

Sounds like your a student going into work for the first time. Even if you're not you're going to work as a DBA for the first time. I'd imagine the company will have senior DBA who you'll be working with. One or more will be acting in a mentor role for you (hopefully).

Don't sweat it to much about what you need to know and study at this stage, as the job progresses the senior staff and your manager will advise you on what to study. I'd imagine you development knowledge will be enough to get you started, they wouldn't have given you the job if it wasn't.

Advertisement