Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a puppy!

Options
  • 23-02-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi everyone.
    I'm buying a king charles for my partner. I'm looking on irishdogs.ie where there are a lot of these pups. Some are registered and some arent, is it important that the dog is registered? Also a lot of these breeders are saying their dogs not registered and that they vaccinate the pups themselves!
    I dont want to get an inbred so should I only get a dog that is registered and does this guarantee the pup isnt inbred..any advise would be grately appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Irishdogs.ie don't sell dogs, they just link you to donedeal.ie which in my opinion is a not a great place to look for a dog, especially a breed like the CKC where you need to be careful. Registered doesn't mean that a dog will not be inbred or develop problems later on so you really do need to pick a breeder that has a good reputation and has had all the relevant health checks done on the parents. Do steer clear of unregistered litters.

CKCs are popular with puppy farmers, you'll want to avoid these so please please really do your research before you go out and buy a pup.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/forum.php is an excellent board with lots of experienced cavalier owners. If you're looking for a recommendation then this is the place to go or you could also look into rescuing a Cav. There is also lots of info there about avoiding bad breeders, looking after your CKC, the health problems suffered by the breed, etc.

And before you go out and buy please make sure that your partner really wants the dog and is fully up for it and is aware of all the ins and outs of owning a dog. I don't really agree with buying dogs as gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jayo11

well she does know all the ins and outs and how to look after a king charles as she had one for seven years which died recently from mvd.i didnt come on here for that kind of advise,maybe you didnt read my thread properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you said any advice would be grately appreciated. Nevermind, you can just ignore all the other advice I gave you too eh? You must have skipped the first 3 paragraphs. Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

jayo11 wrote: »
    well she does know all the ins and outs and how to look after a king charles as she had one for seven years which died recently from mvd.i didnt come on here for that kind of advise,maybe you didnt read my thread properly.

Sorry but Toulouse did answer your questions you asked:confused:

Why bother coming asking for advise and then reply like that??

Toulouse gave good advice, if you chose to ignore it then off you go and try and find a dog yourself!

did i ask if you agree with buying a pup as present dont think so.what a bunch of twats coming on here just to tell people what you think is ok or not ok.i didnt ask you for your permission to buy a pup as a present did i,how sad get off your computer and get a life.

• Advertisement

i didnt come on here looking for help to find a pup what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You are obv a troll and i have reported your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

jayo11 take a few days break - read the forum rules before posting again - and please don't be so rude in future
    jayo11 Toulouse was only giving advice - which you asked for. You never mentioned having had one before or knowing how to take care of one so how is anyone else meant to know?
    Lots of people start threads going I want X dog and know nothing about it.

Her advice still stands anyway, you need to be careful when looking for a CKC pup, she also gave a good link.

Regarding registered/unregistered, you can still get inbred / puppy farmers registering pups, but there is a lower chance of it being a puppy farmer if it is registered properly.
    Some experienced breeders will vaccinate the pups themselves as it is cheaper, but you won't have the vet signed vacc page (which you would need if you ever had to put the dog into a kennel for a short time).

You should be able to see the parents papers, see both parents, see where the dogs live, see the pups interact, be registered/vaccinated/wormed/parvo vacc.
    I don't know directly about CKC, there is a lot to look into as some do have inherited health problems. So I'd listen to the likes of Toulouse if I were you.

EDIT I will leave this thread open but only for people to give advice regarding getting a CKC, I do not want any response to the OPs other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Cavaliers are a breed very close to my heart... you need to be so careful when buying them because they are abused by so many puppy farmers and you could end up with a very sick dog on your hands.

On getting a Cavalier pup - health checks and certs are a must. Not just a vet cert stating that the puppy is healthy at a certain period of time (lots of breeders supply these, and the more health info they can give the better but generally these are not enough). You need to see certs for both parents, in particular ECGs and MRIs, and some joint and eye scoring.

Registration is also a must (IMO) simply because legit breeders will register without a second thought, and won't over breed their bitches so will be able to register every single litter born. With regards to vaccinations, the first should be given around 6 weeks either by a vet or the breeder and maybe a second depending on age. If the breeder has done them themselves they should be able to provide you with the stickers that come with the vaccination bottles so that you know when they have been vaccinated against, and know when to get any subsequent vaccinations. The pup should also be microchipped and you should get a registration card.

Lastly, when you are buying - make sure you see the parents, and pups with the parents (or at least the mother). Question the breeder about the breed and the health problems they have to make sure they know what they are talking about. Look at where they are kept to make sure it is clean and well kept. The website Toulouse gave (www.cavaliertalk.com) is a brilliant place to get tips etc. about breeders and buying, well worth a look.

Advertisement