Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to bust saddlebags

• 23-02-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

After loosing 4 stone I am running nearly 40k a week and I also do leg excercises to try and bust the fat on the outside of my legs , ass an hips .I also do squats and lunges I know I cannot spot reduce but I am getting so disheartened. I also do leg raises with ankles weights .

Should I just get really strict on my diet now but I dont want to loose too much more weight as I will be to gaunt looking. What can I do ? I just cannot seem to break down these fat deposits its bloody depessing ;(

Please help as I do not know what else I can do ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

are you male or female?

a more balanced excersise regime that includes proper weights programme and cardio programme coupled with a good diet will help you lose the excess fat without looking gaunt imo

if all you do is run your going to look like a runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Post up your full diet in detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

After loosing 4 stone I am running nearly 40k a week and I also do leg excercises to try and bust the fat on the outside of my legs , ass an hips .I also do squats and lunges I know I cannot spot reduce but I am getting so disheartened. I also do leg raises with ankles weights .

Should I just get really strict on my diet now but I dont want to loose too much more weight as I will be to gaunt looking. What can I do ? I just cannot seem to break down these fat deposits its bloody depessing ;(

Please help as I do not know what else I can do ???

current diet? current weight / height? timelines involved - how long you at current weight and how long did it take to lose 4 stone etc.. it could possibly be lose skin also which can happen if weight loss is too quick .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onahealthkick

I am female ;) can men get saddle bags? Anyhow I am 5ft three 9 stone and it tok me 12 months to loose weight after baby. I would be prone to weight on my hips and thighs anyhow ;( Its not sagging skin its fat deposits.

My diet would be
    Weetbix or porridge with skimed milk or scrambled egg with wholemeal bread and butter

Pitta bread with turkey lettuce , spinach and a tiny bit of mayo !

Stirfry veg with chicken or prawns with garlic and ginger and half cup of brown rice . I also may have oven cooked salmon and potatoe with lots of green veg.
    Never sauces!

Snacks are apples or celery and hummus

I drink hot water and cold water all day .Oh and I dont drink alcohol

So any sugguestions thanks ???

I forgot to say that I run and I do circuit training .

i dont even know what saddle bags are :p

if you read the stickies you will get a good idea of what a balanced excersise regime entails and you may even feel confident enough to create your own

your diet seems ok but agian read the stickies im not an expert and all the information is there

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i dont even know what saddle bags are :p

Why did you orginally post then , sorry but thats pointless:confused:

if you read the stickies you will get a good idea of what a balanced excersise regime entails and you may even feel confident enough to create your own

I have read stickies and I have had helpfull tips given to me in the past. Thats what I am looking for now ,tips .

your diet seems ok but agian read the stickies im not an expert and all the information is there

Thanks but I think you cannot offer any tips as you do not know even know what I am taking about as you said yourself .

I hope you dont think I am being rude but I just want proper tips from people who know what I am talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I have no idea what saddlebags either but thats immaterial. You can't spot lose weight. Reduce your overall bodyfat accordingly:

Significantly increase your day to day lifestyle activity level- cycle to work, walk instead of drive.

Have 3 intense gym sessions per week incorporating the lifting of heavy things and moving at a fast pace.

Strip your diet down to consisting as much as possible of lean meat (lots) eggs lots of veggies and some fruit. No more sugar, chocolate, bread, etc. Eat a lot meat and a lot of non-starchy veggies.

Voila!

How long are you training - how long did it take you to lose the 4 stone?

Fat loss does slow down, and sometimes it really is just a question of time and being patient to see results. Your diet looks pretty good - I presume your portions are within reason too?

Do you drink? Do you eat any/much junk food?

I see loads of these kind of threads and my advice would always be the same more or less:

1) Make sure your calories are where they should be - never forget you need to burn more than you consume and if you are unsure start measuring calorie intake. I know you know this but it's often the most obvious concepts that are overlooked or lost in the info-overload.

2) Change up your exercise programme regularly.

3) Persist and be patient and know that the results will come eventually.

In the case of 2) above, how long are you running 40k a week? Could be time to change to that up and give your legs a break - maybe replace with shorter-burst, higher-intensity stuff.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    How long are you training - how long did it take you to lose the 4 stone?
    12 months of solid training and it took 12 months to loose weight

Fat loss does slow down, and sometimes it really is just a question of time and being patient to see results. Your diet looks pretty good - I presume your portions are within reason too? Yes very strict on the diet

Do you drink? Do you eat any/much junk food?No alcohol , no junk either

I see loads of these kind of threads and my advice would always be the same more or less:

1) Make sure your calories are where they should be - never forget you need to burn more than you consume and if you are unsure start measuring calorie intake. I know you know this but it's often the most obvious concepts that are overlooked or lost in the info-overload.

2) Change up your exercise programme regularly.

3) Persist and be patient and know that the results will come eventually.

In the case of 2) above, how long are you running 40k a week? 6 months Could be time to change to that up and give your legs a break - maybe replace with shorter-burst, higher-intensity stuff.
    I do circuit training also twice a week ?Maybe I will have to cut down my diet and start to look gaunt to get the legs I want :rolleyes:

Thanks but I think you cannot offer any tips as you do not know even know what I am taking about as you said yourself .

I hope you dont think I am being rude but I just want proper tips from people who know what I am talking about.

well its not hard to surmise that it has something to do with fat on your ass/ thighs jeez

i gave you proper tips do with them as you please

again you dont have to look gaunt you just have to have a balanced training plan but if all you continue to do is cardio then looking gaunt will probably be the result

• Advertisement

I do circuit training also twice a week ?Maybe I will have to cut down my diet and start to look gaunt to get the legs I want :rolleyes:

That is actually a possibility. Your proportions are your proportions at the end of the day! But do all the other things before you arrive at that conclusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 giveityourbest

Hi OP - first off, congratulations on the weight loss, that is a tremendous achievement. I think your diet seems fine, but I think you need to change your training routine for a while. Incidentally, where do you train (i.e. outdoors, at home, in a gym?). Has your training routine changed or advanced much in the last say 3 months? Have you been doing circuit training all along?... Cutting back more calories will only be counterproductive & not as effective (long term) as simply varying your training more often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I am female ;) can men get saddle bags? Anyhow I am 5ft three 9 stone and it tok me 12 months to loose weight after baby. I would be prone to weight on my hips and thighs anyhow ;( Its not sagging skin its fat deposits.

My diet would be
    Weetbix or porridge with skimed milk or scrambled egg with wholemeal bread and butter

Pitta bread with turkey lettuce , spinach and a tiny bit of mayo !

Stirfry veg with chicken or prawns with garlic and ginger and half cup of brown rice . I also may have oven cooked salmon and potatoe with lots of green veg.
    Never sauces!

Snacks are apples or celery and hummus

I drink hot water and cold water all day .Oh and I dont drink alcohol

So any sugguestions thanks ???

I forgot to say that I run and I do circuit training .
    do weights properly - circuit training IMO does not count as a proper weights program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why did you orginally post then , sorry but thats pointless

I'm sorry but how was his post pointless. There is no need for a rude/bitchy response when people are trying to help you.

The only pointless post in this thread you asking specifically for advice on saddle bags. When already said that;
    I know I cannot spot reduce

And this was worse;
    Should I just get really strict on my diet now but I dont want to loose too much more weight as I will be to gaunt looking

So, you want to loose the fat from thighs and ass, but you don't want to lose weight.:confused::confused::confused:

Just because you can't spot reduce doesn't mean weight doesn't come one different spots at different times. I imagine that the saddlebags are one of the last to go for women. Keep up the diet, and training. Include proper weights, and upper body work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

I know what saddlebags are, maybe it's a girl thing! Some women just carry extra fat in the thigh/bum region, some (like me) the tummy region! But anyway, as you know you can't spot reduce, so you will have to lose more weight if you want to lose that fat. I know a girl who had a similar shape to what you have described and when she started to lose weight her top half got smaller fast while her bottom half stayed the same - it looked very odd for a while! But as she kept at it she lost all the remaining weight too, now she looks great :) I think often the worst bits are also the last to go, unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I think the "saddle bags" is the same as "muffin top".
    Two week ago I got weighted hoola hoop to work on mine. 1.5cm gone since I started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

j@utis wrote: »
    Two week ago I got weighted hoola hoop to work on mine. 1.5cm gone since I started.

Nooo, the muffin top is what hangs out over the top of your jeans when they're too tight... here is a pic of saddlebags, note the helpful arrows :)

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Get-Rid-Saddlbags-1012369

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

j@utis wrote: »
    a good weights program would sort all of that out far better than a weighted hoola hoop - granted not as fun but will work the whole body also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Chubbcakes

PUMP classes
    OR
    Lunges with hand weights (not pink soft weights, 5kg+!)

Advertisement