Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nikon lens cleaning !!!

• 23-02-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    I just purchased a Nikon200 and there seems to be specks in the viewfinder. Do I need to have it serviced by a professional or is there anything I can do to clean same .....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

if it's just on the viewfinder if could be wiped off with a lens cloth or any lint free cloth. if it's on the mirror it's a bit more tricky. First of all clean the viewfinder glass and the lens glass.

if the dust/mark is on the mirror then you can clean it yourself if your confident enough and are very careful. I recommend a good professional clean anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Here's a handy page that explains the location of each component of an slr
    http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/SLR/

Slr-cross-section.png

1 - Cleaned with lens cloth
    2 - be very careful with the mirror and use a lens cloth
    8 - viewfinder glass can be cleaned with lens cloth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Dust on the inside of a viewfinder is difficult to clean, I suggest you get it cleaned by a professional although that dust wont affect the photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

..or, it will drive you nuts! Every SLR gets specks of dust in the viewfinder. This cannot be prevented completely because every time you change lenses dust gets in. If it is really bad then a pro cleaning is the only job. The dust specks you can see will not appear on any of your photos.

I would be more concerned to be sure the sensor is clean, that is more important as dirt on the sensor (which happens on all SLRs as well) WILL show up in photos especially at smaller apertures of about f/8 onwards.

Good luck with it, FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

Tanks for all the help, just one more thing, where is the cheapest place in Ireland to buy Nikon lenses .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Ebay. Most of my photo gear was bought on ebay.Most of it was secondhand. I buy from sellers with good ratings who are based in the UK. Works a treat.

-FoxT

Advertisement