Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old English Sheepdog Breeders

Options
  • 23-02-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

The Family have been thinking about getting another dog for a while, since Cassie past on about a year ago. She was a red-setter/black-labrador mix breed, who was just about the kindest dog that's ever lived. Died at 18, following a stroke. It's taken this long to grieve :)

We were thinking of going with a purebreed this time around though. Does anyone know any good sources for information on Old English Sheepdog breeders in Ireland? I have read up a fair bit on them and from what I'm gathering, you really need to select your breeder with extreme care, given the health risks that are endemic to the breed outright, in addition to the added complications that arouse through inbreeding. Is there much showdog selectiv breeding with OES? Has anyone any tips to look out for charlatans, i.e., certs, qualifications etc?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wouldn't really know about good breeders, but I'm not aware that anyone would breed OES other than for showing/selling as they have become quite surplus to requirements otherwise ...nobody needs a drover dog these days anymore.

We only have an OES mix (I think there's a bit of Bearded Colllie in ours) but I would advise that an OES really isn't a dog for the house proud. The amount of dirt that they bring in in their profuse coats is astonishing, the amount of dust and hair that they spread everywhere overwhelmes most hoovers and the amount of time, effort and patience it takes to have them looking their best is almost a full time job. Be sure that this is what you are prepared for before you commit.

Also, there have been reports of increasing amounts of aggressive OES in certain lines ...something to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

A relative of mine had one. They have so much hair and it needs a lot of upkeep unless you get it cut. Also they need a lot of exercise. It was a very good-natured dog though and lived to be very old, died of cancer in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Upkeep, exercise and space is not an issue, we are all dog lovers in the house and understand the importance of hygene, grooming and palliative bathing. We've a fairly big garden and are very proximal to a woodland area.

The reason we're drawn towards the OES is it's playful, foolish temperament. (It came down to a boxer or a OES). Cassie was a wonderful dog, but very much a serious, protective nature. She'd do rounds of the house as we'd call it, poking her head in all the different rooms in a manner almost like a maitre d'. Any time my father in particular was out, she'd wait by the door for him to return. She wasn't very playful, but did enjoy her walks and runs in the countryside.

On that note, we'd like to bond with a completely different personality, so that we can recalibrate our affection for the dog and not always be comparing and contrasting on the previous. Dogs should never have baggage thrown at them.

Anyway, that's just in case anyone was thinking this is just a case of "OH MY GOD THEIR SO CUTE AND CUDDLY I WANT ONE DADDY, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE", and we hadn't considered the labour and care that would be needed to ensure the dog was happy and extremely well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear about your dog that passed but what a great age. Sounds like she was a real part of the family.

Getting a dog with a different personality is a good idea, I know an OES and she's a real goof (her name's Dizzy, to match her personality).

She was gotten from Colm Hastings, who is probably Cork's top breeder, and he is involved in showing OES's, but I'm not 100%sure if he still breeds.

here's the info
    http://www.showdogsireland.com/Magazine/Adverts/RaggleTaggle.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Neil3030 wrote: »
    On that note, we'd like to bond with a completely different personality, so that we can recalibrate our affection for the dog and not always be comparing and contrasting on the previous. Dogs should never have baggage thrown at them.

That's a great approach.

I don't know if our OES mix is typical, he certainly has lots of "goofy" moments, is a great softy and a perfect gentleman with a sense of humour ...but... he also has a very serious side and takes his job as guardian and protector very seriously. I believe that this is a remnant from his lineage of drover dogs that also served as flock protetors and I have met other OES that also displayed that behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Try contacting the IKC for a list of OES breeders, a good ring around (and a few home visits) and you should find someone who has pups or will have them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have you tried rescues, the do come into rescue now and then.
    Gorgeous looking dogs, since you had a setter cross before they can be nutty like them lol.

Advertisement