Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spamming Action Feedback

Options
  • 23-02-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi All,
    Hope this is the current forum. Anyways, through some misunderstanding between mods, I posted in a forum which I thought I had permission to "pimp my wares" and naturally it was picked up as spam. Now this isn't my issue at all but what is is the automatic information that seems to be written instead of what I had originally posted, namely this below appeared instead of my post:

Hi All,
    I dont want to pay to advertise on here so instead I'm trying to spam you all.....

Cork Maths Teachers.

(Post this message again and you will be banned)

Now, I was horrified at first but also insulted because this is pure misquoting. Surely something simple such as "please stop posting adverts" or spam or merey asking for clarification from the user and freezing the post hidden or something but instead boards.ie went and misquoted me which correct me if I am wrong, is infringing on misquotation and all that goes with it, not to mention branding our name over a simple misunderstanding (all of which was subsequently sorted with the mods with no bad feeling)
    I would suggest to boards.ie that a more mellow reaction to spamming as its not right posting quotes that appear from someone else. I would think its awful if anyone here could post a quotation from me on any matter.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You should firstly PM the mod in question & explain your feelings on the situation to them.
    If you still have an issue after discussing with the forum mod - PM the CMod for that area of boards.
    If you still have an issue after discussing with the area CMod - post your grievance in the Help Desk forum & the site Admins will deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Did you read the Terms and Conditions when you signed up?

They specifically say that you can't sign up to advertise.

Why do you think there should be any mellowness to people who wish to advertise without paying?

Why should Boards.ie allow freeloaders to use their site to get business, when there are other perfectly legitimate businesses who are paying to advertise
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

First of all, I was of the presumption that this was a standard spamming action by boards.ie and is undertaken by all mods, not by any mod in particular. This is a feedback forum and I was of the understanding that boards.ie values feedback for what I thought eas a site wide action. Apologies if I am incorrect and naturally feel free to delete my thread here.
    Secondly, if you bothered reading my post Des, you will see that I had already discussed this with one mod prior to posting and it was a misunderstanding between them. We are a voluntary group who run events which help students for low cost while also funding all our other voluntary activities which the government should do but doesn't. I won't go into this any more because I was given a very nice welcome to boards initially where the Edu Mods thanked us for our work and were encouraging of organisations like us.
    Please don't paint us all with one brush.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If one relevant mod had said you were fine to post, then it should have been up to him to give a headsup to the other relevant mods. I think you should PM him and ask him to sort out the misunderstanding. The usual rule, as Des pointed out, is to not allow anything that is perceived as spam, so if a mod makes an exception, he should let all other fellow forum mods know.

The issue of taking out what was written and putting in a semi derogatory comment is something that some mods do at times, and some (probably most) don't. It is more likely to happen for someone who is seen as a spammer, as the majority of actual spammers are sitebanned very quickly anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok guys, lets cool it a bit. :)

tl;dr version - there was a misunderstanding, plus a mod having a bad day. The result, what you see above.

The long version, myself and a number of mods welcomed Corkmaths.ie to the Education forums as a potential valuable resource for students. Unfortunately, I may not have clarified enough what is and is not acceptable on Boards.ie to Corkmaths.ie and he did what he believed he had been given the go ahead to do.

So to Corkmaths.ie - I take on board your feedback and I can assure you that what you saw was a rare occurrence by a mod having a bad day (in his own words). There is a very low tolerance for spammers and he misinterpreted your post as coming from a spammer.

Both yourself and I, plus the mods in question have exchanged PMs and I hope that we have clarified matters and work to ensure something like this won't happen again. It is not the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

(all of which was subsequently sorted with the mods with no bad feeling)

If it has all been sorted, then why is this thread here? It only serves to highlight your bad behavior, and further muddy your name.

I have no time for spammers, none at all, and any insult perceived in the removal of spam posts is none of my concern. The only message a spam poster will get from me is to contact the Community Managers to pay for advertising, right after they get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CorkMaths.ie

As I have said earlier in my thread, I am merely giving some constructive feedback to boards.ie mod community. Its not anything I want "sorted" but merely the whole practice looked into more favourably.
    I am not a spammer, there is no reason why my name should be any way muddied. Please stop giving out to me for spamming as like I have said above, all was ok'ed with the section Mod but some misunderstanding on all sides caused an issue. No bad feeling or anything. I just want to give feedback into the whole spamming issue and am in no way complaining about any mod or anything.
    Maybe boards.ie should ensure all mods give the same feedback with regards to spamming (as in proper spamming?) and not let it up to each one about what to say? Otherwise a mod may be open to liable or saying something they shouldn't?
    Look, time for me to give up on this thread, I came on boards.ie to extend our organisations efforts to support students and teachers voluntarily and hoped the community would be part of the spirit, we are not all business people peddling wares. I hope my feedback is taken in the spirit it is meant and please don't call me a spammer again, I clearly am not and hence namecalling is not becoming of the site.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Dont have miscommuncations".... ooook, got it.

DeV.

Advertisement