Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burris Laserscope

Options
  • 23-02-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

i am currently looking for a new scope for my CZ-527 .223. the scope will be then going onto a Tikka T3 lite or laminate in .243 before september.

Any way i was thinking of getting the Burris laserscope, http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-laserscope-4-12x-42mm-laser-rangefinding-riflescopes.html

Does any body here have any opinion or experience with this scope or one similar ie the bushnell laserscope. all comments would be greatly appreciated.

The scope is fairly heavy but i wouldn't mind that as i said already it will be going on a Tikka T3 lite SS so the overall set up wont be too heavy.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Hey i have a bushnell for sale here.It was on a t3 super varmint never a bother with weight or anything found it very clear and accurate,great piece of kit.Have a look and ask any questions if you're interested.
    Cheers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055733466

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

patsat wrote: »
    i am currently looking for a new scope for my CZ-527 .223. the scope will be then going onto a Tikka T3 lite or laminate in .243 before september.

Any way i was thinking of getting the Burris laserscope, http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-laserscope-4-12x-42mm-laser-rangefinding-riflescopes.html

Does any body here have any opinion or experience with this scope or one similar ie the bushnell laserscope. all comments would be greatly appreciated.

The scope is fairly heavy but i wouldn't mind that as i said already it will be going on a Tikka T3 lite SS so the overall set up wont be too heavy.

Thanks

I was looking on the web at the new Burris range finder scope that not only ranges the distance but also puts a red dot on the retical to show you the drop needed, with a remote activation switch

http://www.burrisoptics.com/laserscope.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You would want to be careful, that scope would probably come in as restricted under the legislation regarding lasers and NV scopes mounted to a firearm.
    Your call but the gardai could be very awkward were anything to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You would want to be careful, that scope would probably come in as restricted under the legislation regarding lasers and NV scopes mounted to a firearm.
    Go ahead and get it, they would not have a clue what they are looking at

That legal advice then?:rolleyes:
    Like I say, all goes well until something goes wrong or you meet a FO that actually does know what they are on about....
    Then you are in possession of an unlicensed restricted firearm with all the heat that goes with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

That legal advice then?:rolleyes:
    Like I say, all goes well until something goes wrong or you meet a FO that actually does know what they are on about....
    Then you are in possession of an unlicensed restricted firearm with all the heat that goes with it.

Are those scpes not just rangefinders.
    Nothing to do with night vision or heat detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

i thought the same clive j!will check up more on it but i doubt they are restricted. was tempted by the eliminator but that scope is just making it too easy! plus with the eliminator you have nothing to blame but yourself if you miss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Have you all not realized yet that anything interesting, useful or fun concerning shooting equipment has been banned or restricted. Its the "i don't like the look o dat" mentality enshrined in law.

clivej wrote: »
    Are those scpes not just rangefinders.
    Nothing to do with night vision or heat detection.
    It uses a light to do so though no? Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation
    It doesn't matter to me what anybody fits, and any normal country would say the same, but this country is unique in first world (just) anglophone countries.
    Chances are that it might never be looked at but it only takes something to happen and it would be you trying to explain to the judge that the scope isn't a laser and that you thought that you didn't need a permit for that scope that is a restricted firearm.
    Thats what the box is on the FCA1 form for.
    I don't agree with the law, its stupid and nonsensical but there ya go.

maybe someone who already has one in this country can clear this up for us? i may say it to the Super to see what he says before i get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

They're the same as a stand alone range finder, half the golfers in the country have them,they're for sale in gun shops up and down the country, they are not a red dot laser pointer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

:D My take on it is, that the law (anti Hollywood law) was brought in around the time of the release of Predator the film.;):P and be cause they didn't know what a tri-reciprocating harmonic accosting targeting laser was called they just decided that they play it safe and go with light beam
    :D:D ffs:D That covered everything:rolleyes:--end of..................

Anyone can read between the lines if they want to!! and in doing so you might as well as for permission to fit a torch (light beam) while your at it!!

IMO its a step to limit usage of laser beam sights which project a targeting light beam on to the target. (and lets face facts here! this legislation is designed to stop criminals)

If you don't believe this then you better give up you reflex scopes scope as well as these project a light beam to wards the shooters eye!!

Also once again i like to point out that these items are not restricted!! nor are they specifically prohibited.
    The new FCA1 garda firearms form has section 3.2 for such accessories but its wording lacks definition and is extremely vague!!:rolleyes:
    F(feck)S they have left it as Sights/other (specify).. wow! any of these objects could be shown to be sights.

In the real world the Gardaí have enough on their plate! purely with general firearm issues! To add more to this with further complications is ridiculous and TBH if a person is fit to own a firearm then they are fit to kit it out as they see fit as long as they don't use prohibited items!!

wel my local sergeant doesn't has no problem with firearms!she says its better than hanging around the streets of the village! when she was handing me my licensce for at .22 magnum at the age of seventeen she stated " shoot as much of them f**king grey crows as u can i hate em!" so i suppose i could clear it by her!

I suppose you could! but sometimes if you ask a question, the answer you'll receive is not alway the one you had hope for!!

I am reminded of over cautious folk ring the Phoenix park and yakking on about the bore size of 303 enfields and opening a Hornets nest for themselfs and others..

If you need to ask then ask but it seems that we are all to easily pleased with the scraps of from the table of life!!

IMO it all a bit OTT..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Please don't advise people to knowingly break the law. It's a laser rangefinder in a scope - that's pretty much the exact wording in section (g)(i) of the definition of a firearm in section one of the act:
    (g) except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),
    (ii) a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (e), and
    (iii) any object—
    (I) manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and
    (II) without which it could not function as originally designed,

It's not going to be restricted or prohibited, but you *will* need it on your licence; or to get permission from your local Superintendent (and you'll need to renew that permission annually, so it's probably less hassle to get it on your licence).

If you need to ask then ask
    In this case, you don't. I don't think you could really draft the law to be any clearer in this specific case.

Sparks wrote: »
    In this case, you don't. I don't think you could really draft the law to be any clearer in this specific case.

If the law is so clear then let us all give up our scope mounted torches and return our reflex sights to our dealers!..

All OTT IMHO>>>>>

The law says "telescope sights with a light beam". The laserscope is a scope with a laser beam for rangefinding. Laser beams are light beams by definition (and I mean by definition in the real world, not just in law). So there's a one-to-one mapping here. It's not rocket science Ivan, this is one case where the law is crystal clear, uncommon as that tends to be.

As to scope mounted torches, you already need permission for those or you're done for poaching.

As to reflex sights, they can be deemed to be component parts, but you rarely see folks checking the box on their licence for them. That doesn't mean you're "safe" to have them, it just means that people don't normally actively look. Get on the wrong side of your FO and have him notice you've got what is under the law an unlicenced firearm and you're headed to a judge to plead your case (and that's an expensive trip, regardless of whether you win or lose).

Sparks wrote: »
    As to scope mounted torches, you already need permission for those or you're done for poaching.
    This is new to me! could some expand on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This is new to me! could some expand on this!

You cant shoot protected wildlife at night with a lamp unless you get a section 42

Unprotected is a different kettle of fish

Ivan please drop the issue, the pattern of questioning legislation is getting old and tired. Condoning illegal activity is against the charter and advising people to ignore legislation and heed your interpretation is not on here.

You make decent contributions in other areas of the site but it looks to me like you are trying to get banned when you start with this stuff. Can you not just leave it. There's no problem stating your opinion on the legislation but giving advice about ignoring it is unacceptable.

So as a mod warning, please don't continue down this path,

• Advertisement

Just rang the FO a few minutes ago and once i explained the scope she said it should be ok. she was happy once a red dot wasn't showing on my target.

It was her first time coming across such a scope so she took the name of it and will ring me back once she looks it up.

i will let ye know what her verdict is ASAP

just got the phonecall back from the FO. She said that scope is perfect and nothing needs to be applied for!

All i need now is a website that will import it for me with little hassle!

Any advice welcome!

just got the phonecall back from the FO. She said that scope is perfect and nothing needs to be applied for!

Any advice welcome!

get a letter off her stating what she said , e.g that the scope is ok to have off licence and doesn't need any paper work . the guards are contradicting themselves all over the place and what is gospel one week is a damn lie the next.
    i have been told one thing by the f.p.u. in the park and this has been contradicted by the superintendent.

thanks for that rowa.

i see with the states they are looking for a license to import a scope, is there any country where this wouln't matter? it seems to be an awful amount of hassle!

thanks for that rowa.

i see with the states they are looking for a license to import a scope, is there any country where this wouln't matter? it seems to be an awful amount of hassle!

try some of the bigger dealers in the uk like the sportsmans centre etc , buy a copy of gun mart in easons , someone will have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Any advice welcome!

Glad to hear that, I won't say "I told you so" cos I might get another ban:o
    Take your time and shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

rowa wrote: »
    get a letter off her stating what she said , e.g that the scope is ok to have off licence and doesn't need any paper work . the guards are contradicting themselves all over the place and what is gospel one week is a damn lie the next.
    i have been told one thing by the f.p.u. in the park and this has been contradicted by the superintendent.

Exactly, patsat you can see for yourself in the legislation above what's what.

Get what she said in writing

Any advice welcome!

I use an address of a mate in the north and most US firms will ship here with less hassle!
    But your prob hitting a wall with the 100 dollar limit export rubbish- for which i have no answer!

good result with the scope!:D;) some common sense from the garda:D
    Might just give one a little faith in the Fubar'ed system:D

some common sense from the garda:D
    Not until it's in writing and signed. Until then, it's worth the paper it's printed on...

• Advertisement

So now your going to go back and annoy the FO by demanding bits of letters which is not a requirement but you want it still because it will make you rest easy even though you were told its OK! and TBH the garda are up there drink coffee with feck all to do except sign off on silly OTT issues IMO!!

All this hassle for something that your FO says is not a requirement!!!

If you had any concerns a simple email that simply confirms your conversation would be as far as i'd go...
    The problem is that the Garda dont even have email as far as i know!

No body has been encouraged to break the law here!!!

regards ivan

Advertisement