Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Leahy's all request hour is a sham

• 23-02-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Ok im not a fan of 2fm or RTE at all, in general i think its just a closed shop of talentless people for the best part so you can take this as baised if you like. Apart from the fact that Will Leahy is not a bad broadcaster, i find laura woods absolutly unbearable to listen to you she comes across as a snob.

Anywho back to my point. When i listen to the radio in the evenings i hear Will contsantly barking on about this all requst hour every 5 minutes egging people to call in night or day and leave a message and they will play the song. Surely and obviously the best part of all requests will never be played as they dont have enough air time, so all 2FM are looking to do it line their pockets with the proceeds from the calls to their phone lines as they are stone broke (as we all know by the bombardment of pay you tv license ads playing to make up for the lack of ads being booked on airtime).

Thats all well and good as a new format but i kind of find it insulting that this is the best they can come up with in a attempt to raise a few quid. Do they really think as a public we are all that stupid enough to swallow this crap or just it just go to prove the lack of imagination that surrounds the whole of the studios around RTE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alphanumeric

The one thing that gets me big time about the Will Leahy show are his "Live Interviews". Heard on Colm and JimJim one morning that he was in interviewing someone which was broadcast later that day. He still said it was live. I just do wonder now what is live and what is pre recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

stevoman wrote: »
    Ok im not a fan of 2fm or RTE at all, in general i think its just a closed shop of talentless people for the best part so you can take this as baised if you like. Apart from the fact that Will Leahy is not a bad broadcaster, i find laura woods absolutly unbearable to listen to you she comes across as a snob.

Anywho back to my point. When i listen to the radio in the evenings i hear Will contsantly barking on about this all requst hour every 5 minutes egging people to call in night or day and leave a message and they will play the song. Surely and obviously the best part of all requests will never be played as they dont have enough air time, so all 2FM are looking to do it line their pockets with the proceeds from the calls to their phone lines as they are stone broke (as we all know by the bombardment of pay you tv license ads playing to make up for the lack of ads being booked on airtime).

Thats all well and good as a new format but i kind of find it insulting that this is the best they can come up with in a attempt to raise a few quid. Do they really think as a public we are all that stupid enough to swallow this crap or just it just go to prove the lack of imagination that surrounds the whole of the studios around RTE?
    I'm not sure RTE are going to rake in too much money with an 085 mobile number when so many people have free calls anyways! Saying that though I am not a huge fan of the new request hour - preferred the old show format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

stevoman wrote: »
    i find laura woods absolutly unbearable to listen to you she comes across as a snob.

+1. Shes an absolute idiot aswell. Shes meant to be the entertainment correspondant or something but shes completely unprofessional in that anytime Ive listened to the show shes gotten the names of films, people, bands or songs wrong. She obviously doesnt do her research and it just comes across as embarressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

tunguska wrote: »
    +1. Shes an absolute idiot aswell. Shes meant to be the entertainment correspondant or something but shes completely unprofessional in that anytime Ive listened to the show shes gotten the names of films, people, bands or songs wrong. She obviously doesnt do her research and it just comes across as embarressing.

Will Leahy is in the studios in Limrick and she is actually sitting in the studios in dublin. they often say she's sitting at a computer so as you can imagine her research probobly is done stiing in front of that.

i have to say nobody gets under my skin more on radio than her. honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Every female presenter on 2fm is a certifiable, locked-down idiot. They seem to have a competition to see whose accent can be the most annoying and thus destroy the last vestiges of my sanity. They all try to be posh and snobby, NEWSFLASH LADIES: It ain't working. There is a female presenter on Lyric FM who sometimes presents the breakfast show, when the regular presenter is off. She has a voice like milk and honey. Its obvious that her parents sent her to elocution lessons when she was a kid, and all I can say to them is: MONEY WELL SPENT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i like laura woods, her and will have a good laugh when he talks to her. but overall his show isnt as good since it was extended. I HATE when shows brings in correspondants to talk "showbiz" type stuff. WE CAN READ IT IN THE PAPERS!!!!! lauraS gig is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

These days radio stations rarely if ever play requests for particular songs. The playlists are so tightly scrutinised, each song falls into a particular category in terms of style, how old the song is, whether its irish in origin or not (which is interpreted quite loosely at times) and also in terms of rotation , with the newest and most popular songs being on the most frequent rotation. Hence, when a dj suggests you text in your requests, he probably more specifically means your dedications, because it is simply not protocol for dj's to let the listeners dictate the playlist. As well as this, people who text in anyway tend to ask for the more up to date songs which you will play anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

heybaby wrote: »
    These days radio stations rarely if ever play requests for particular songs. The playlists are so tightly scrutinised, each song falls into a particular category in terms of style, how old the song is, whether its irish in origin or not (which is interpreted quite loosely at times) and also in terms of rotation , with the newest and most popular songs being on the most frequent rotation. Hence, when a dj suggests you text in your requests, he probably more specifically means your dedications, because it is simply not protocol for dj's to let the listeners dictate the playlist. As well as this, people who text in anyway tend to ask for the more up to date songs which you will play anyway.
    I think that's what makes Wills request hour so different though in that you hear a lot of songs that would never usually be part of a stations regular play-list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

It certainly is a sham.its just a way rte can make money easily as they know a large amount of the people who make a request will want something that is new and popular which is allready on high rotation so it will be be played whether it is requested or not

easy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I don't see how they can possibly be making any money from it.

It is just a standard mobile number, it is not like the 30c per message set up that newstalk has

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

I don't get these request shows anyway.

''Oh please play (insert crap song here) - it's my favourite song! I love it!''

Then chances are you have it on your mp3 player or whatever so how about you turn the bloody thing on and get your annoying voice off the radio! Twat.

Advertisement