Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Voltage Festival

Options
  • 23-02-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭

Taking place in Victoria Park on 24/25th July.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/high-voltage-festival-six-bands-added/
    Transatlantic, UFO, Venom, The Quireboys, The Union and Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa have all been added to the bill of Classic Rock’s High Voltage festival.

The latest bands add to an already stellar line-up that will run across two days and three stages – Main Stage, Prog Stage and Metal Hammer Stage.

The High Voltage Festival is set to take place in London’s Victoria Park on July 24 and 25, with headline appearances from Emerson Lake And Palmer and ZZ Top.

Tickets are available from www.highvoltagefestival.com or 24hr cc ticketline 0871 230 5582.

Here’s the scam on our six new High Voltage additions:

Transatlantic (Prog Stage) – A rare performance from the prog-rock supergroup made up of Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings), Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Neal Morse (ex-Spock’s Beard) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater). The band released their latest album The Whirlwind in late 2009 to widespread critical acclaim.

Venom (Metal Stage) – Venom’s seminal 1982 album Black Metal spawned an entire genre. Acknowledged as a major influence by Metallica, Slayer and countless extreme metal bands, Venom are still led by iconic frontman Cronos, who was a guest star on Dave Grohl’s Probot album.

UFO (Main Stage) – One of Britain’s all-time great hard rock bands. Say no more.

The Quireboys (Main Stage) – One of the surprise stars of last year’s Hard Rock Hell, The Quireboys are, in their own words, “purveyors of the finest English good-time rock’n’roll since 1984” – a band in the tradition of The Rolling Stones and The Faces. But then you probably knew that already.

The Union (Main Stage) – The Union are a new band formed by Luke Morley, formerly the guitarist for Thunder, and ex-Winterville vocalist/guitarist Peter Shoulder.

Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa (Prog Stage) – Dweezil Zappa and band play a greatest-hits set of the music from his father, the maverick rock legend Frank Zappa. The band return to the UK for the first time since a sell-out tour in 2008.

…All of which means that the confirmed High Voltage line-up to date is as follows:

Main stage – Emerson, Lake & Palmer, ZZ Top, Foreigner, Heaven & Hell, Bachman Turner, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, UFO, The Answer, The Quireboys, The Union…

Prog Stage – Transatlantic, Asia, Zappa Plays Zappa, Marillion, Argent, Steve Hackett, Focus, Pendragon, Uriah Heep, Magnum, Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash, The Reasoning, Touchstone…

Metal Stage – Black Label Society, Down, Venom, Clutch…

More bands will be added soon, so stay tuned to the Classic Rock website.

Some amazing bands in there. Now with Transatlantic in there, I might try make a day for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Marillion, Zappa plays Zappa, UFO, Transatlantic and Uriah Heep?

Damn I wish I could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jako8 wrote: »
    Marillion, Zappa plays Zappa, UFO, Transatlantic and Uriah Heep?

Damn I wish I could go.

am gonna try go for Transatlantic day. Can see Marillion nad Zappa plays Zappa being on same day.

Knowing my luck, Clutch and Down will clash with these too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Mushy wrote: »
    am gonna try go for Transatlantic day. Can see Marillion nad Zappa plays Zappa being on same day.

yeah, been monitoring this since it was announced a couple of months back.......really has gotta be a Prog fans wet dream...
    and it's not just the bands that are playing its the special sets that are being played :-

can't remember which albums off the top of my head but....

Asia (first album in full), Argent, Wishbone Ash, The Reasoning are all playing special full album sets.......
    I just think that of the festivals on this summer this one has a very different vibe to it and it's interesting me, not cheap - but feck it, could well be the last time to see a number of these bands, and can you imagine the reception Dio will get when they hit the stage ?

Mushy wrote: »

a number of the bands have released what days they are on already, I know Marillion are on the Sunday, headlining the Prog Stage (unless I'm having a brain outage).......will try and put together what I have when I get a few minutes....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

NIBBS wrote: »
    yeah, been monitoring this since it was announced a couple of months back.......really has gotta be a Prog fans wet dream...
    and it's not just the bands that are playing its the special sets that are being played :-

can't remember which albums off the top of my head but....

Asia (first album in full), Argent, Wishbone Ash, The Reasoning are all playing special full album sets.......
    I just think that of the festivals on this summer this one has a very different vibe to it and it's interesting me, not cheap - but feck it, could well be the last time to see a number of these bands, and can you imagine the reception Dio will get when they hit the stage ?

Yeh it is a very different festival. When first saw the lineup, wasn't overly interested, and is very expensive. think a mate is going to full thing. Good to see Dio on stage again alright. Say Transatlantic would headline prog stage, play The Whirlwind in tour(it is the self-proclaimed whirld tour:eek:)
    NIBBS wrote: »
    a number of the bands have released what days they are on already, I know Marillion are on the Sunday, headlining the Prog Stage (unless I'm having a brain outage).......will try and put together what I have when I get a few minutes....

Yeah found that out after bout Marillion. Transatlantic on the Saturday unfortunately(for me!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Foreigner! And Down & Clutch :) London is fab in July, so I will definitely be up for hanging out in a beautiful park listening to awesome music

Have a feeling that the Scorpions will be at this, don't know why - but just seems to fit for me......would be nice to see them before they hang up their guitars.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Would love to go to this but unfortunately funds will put a stop to that :-( ... fantastic line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 milnerrm

what an awesome festival...ZPZ!!

Advertisement