Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to meet new people

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I'm a Portlaoise noob (well I'm here 2 years now) and I don't think it's THAT boring?! There's plenty more here than any other towns nearby!

It is tough to meet new people though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

I see what you mean, I work up in Dublin so wouldn't do much or go out here during the week other than go out for some grub and a few pints so yeah you're right that there's nothing lively to do like there is in Carlow and the like.

I'm still trying to figure out how to meet people too cos I havn't got the time (or the fitness anymore lol) to commit to GAA team or the like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

I'm relatively new to the area (three years!) but work in Naas, so I'd agree it can be difficult to meet people. However, I wouldn't call it boring, I've found that no matter what your interests are, there is usually some outlet for it in the general Portlaoise area. From having been around the block a few times, I've certainly lived in worse provincial towns and I reckon Laois people themselves are fairly hard on the town and the county. In saying that, if anyone wants to meet for a pint and a chat, let me know:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Iolar wrote: »
    Knacker drinking.... :P:pac:

But you can only do that so many times a week before it gets old! :p

Kenteach wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it boring, I've found that no matter what your interests are, there is usually some outlet for it in the general Portlaoise area. From having been around the block a few times, I've certainly lived in worse provincial towns and I reckon Laois people themselves are fairly hard on the town and the county.
    thats very true, as a blow in i really like portlaoise and all my friends that visit and that have moved down here like the place too. I think the hardest part to meeting people is not knowing whats going on in the town so theres loads of missed opportunities. And like others have said, the midweek nightlife is pretty nonexistant! That being said, dya ever really meet new friends when your locked out of your bin in a nightclub on a wednesday night lol

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Hi guys not sure if any of ye would be interested but the Order of Malta are holding an information evening this Thursday night at 8pm. We provide a voluntary ambulance service around the county and further a field varying from GAA matches, Horse racing and concerts (Oxegen) etc...... The age profile varies from mid twenties upwards good way of making friends and its a bit of craic while learning a new skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

I tried resurrecting the beers thread but there wasn't much of an uptake :(

When would even suit people? There seems to be a fair amount of heads here living in Portlala, so what about some weekday evening?

Last drinks chat seemed to get derailed cause it was for a weekend and someone always has plans made for a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GR midlands

Hiya all, im new here, 20yrs old looking to meet new girl-friends in portlaoise new-ish enough to portlaoise, been here 2yrs this november

Hiya sasha, i am indeed-what about urself?

Hiya sasha
    cool, well im invovled in YWIlaois {Youth Work Ireland laois as a volunteer} i have leadrer training & drugs & alcohol awareness training under my belt from YWI & the midlands drug network & im also in the process of applyin for the Garda Reserve, i have my interview+written exam thrusday week, im also involved in IHF-Irish heart foundation volunterring for this yr's happy heart weekend & im currently due to undergo more learder training in association with the Laois sport's partnership, so im so proud of myself im all of my achievements & the oppurtunities i've had since i've moved down , though IFH is dublin , i do travel up there once a month or so to continue with them.

I think other than YWI-a youth club for teens & the lesiure center-which currently laois sport's partnership is residing-there really is not a lot more fun things to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

It sounds like you lead an active lifestyle, I also volunteer and am applying
    for the reserves, Laois can be quite lmited in terms of activities.
    Do you play sports?

Hiya sasha & miss5
    yeah i loved being invovled in my community , i've actually just come from a meeting in YWI laois!.

I dont play alot of sport now-a-days, i used to play alot of volleyball when i was at school & football but not since then, im hopin to get back to it by leading teams or things like that etc.

Well now i have to say the imagination is a great thing,

Anything can happen just as long as u believe in it.{my motto}

If u have an idea for sports etc go to the partnership in the leisure center & make that idea into reality.

My plans went from paper to a club-my idea's went from my head & i got them up & running-try it sometime!

Miss5 where r u living-r u in portlaoise town, i dont know anyone who is apply gor the GR & would love to chat with u about it!
    god all excited

Hi,
    I am quite close to Portlaoise, What stage are you at in applying?
    I was hoping to do full time but with the recruitment freeze this
    should be great experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Wow i'm the same came back from college in London nearly 2 years ago and its like I know no one around anymore, and the people I do know seem to be stuck in the same work mid week, go out fri-sun and back to work monday rut

Not far,
    i have my exam+interview thrusday week. Im applying to become a full-time member when the campaign comes up in 2012 so im hoping that i pass & get into GR & it will stand to me when i apply in the next campaign.

PS;
    Volunteers needed for portlaoise in association with the Irish Heart Foundation.
    Please contact me for details -pm me if interested thanks

bazmaiden wrote: »
    Wow i'm the same came back from college in London nearly 2 years ago and its like I know no one around anymore, and the people I do know seem to be stuck in the same work mid week, go out fri-sun and back to work monday rut
    Are you involed in any clubs? I know Laois is pretty hopeless
    for the youngr generation in terms of social activities.

Involved in a good few things down here, as i said before there's a good few interesting things down here to take part in if u know where to look, but then again there's only so much to do!

What about urself -r u involved in many things down here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Iolar wrote: »
    Tell me about it,the town has changed so much the past few years:D

Yeah but my problem is that my work/course just keep me so busy that i don't have time to go out and when I do I'm usually so knackered that i'm always end up going home early due to exhaustion

But anyway i'm planning to get back into a band, either playing guitar, bass or singing, this summer and hopefully that will sort things out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 garniey_luvs

thanks also now i am having a baby so i am finding there is ever less now that i could participate in,does anyone no when book clubs or if there is anything for first time mums to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

God, this thread is very hard on old portlaoise, from 'near' portlaoise and personally think there is loads of things to do, once you look for them.

As suggested, head to the dunamaise, there are loads of group info there, from reading to drama to art classes. there are football,soccer and hurling, cycling clubs if thats your thing. Tennis in nearby abbeyleix, not to mention golf clubs.
    Theres a bowling alley, a cinema, many restaurants, pubs etc.
    A great library, where you will find lots more info re books clubs.
    The parish centre is great for holding different classes, and the staff there are so nice!
    Portlaoise college holds loads of differnt part time courses as well.
    The lesiure centre, you can pay each time you use the pool or the gym, no need to pay up for a year.

Garniey-luvs, i know there is a baby massage class that you can attend, will find out the details of it for you. Also several mother and baby coffee mornings held in the parish centre. The swimming pool also have a couple of sessions during the week that are strictly for mothers and babys.

Going to make it my mission this week to find as many things to do in portlaoise, to keep you young ones amused. Presently on extended maternity leave and filling my days has become my number one priority!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 garniey_luvs

gogo wrote: »
    God, this thread is very hard on old portlaoise, from 'near' portlaoise and personally think there is loads of things to do, once you look for them.

As suggested, head to the dunamaise, there are loads of group info there, from reading to drama to art classes. there are football,soccer and hurling, cycling clubs if thats your thing. Tennis in nearby abbeyleix, not to mention golf clubs.
    Theres a bowling alley, a cinema, many restaurants, pubs etc.
    A great library, where you will find lots more info re books clubs.
    The parish centre is great for holding different classes, and the staff there are so nice!
    Portlaoise college holds loads of differnt part time courses as well.
    The lesiure centre, you can pay each time you use the pool or the gym, no need to pay up for a year.

Garniey-luvs, i know there is a baby massage class that you can attend, will find out the details of it for you. Also several mother and baby coffee mornings held in the parish centre. The swimming pool also have a couple of sessions during the week that are strictly for mothers and babys.

Going to make it my mission this week to find as many things to do in portlaoise, to keep you young ones amused. Presently on extended maternity leave and filling my days has become my number one priority!

hey thnax for ur reply i look forward to hearin ur suggestions

Advertisement