Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap general purpose GSM module

Options
  • 23-02-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any details on cheap general purpose GSM modules, basically looking for something that will take a digital input and send out an SMS.

I can get Telit modules for in or around €100, which will do the job, but they are way over specified for whats needed. Is there anything cheaper out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I can't help you there DD, but I would be very interested in the units that you are refering to. Where do you get them? Will they work from a 12 VDC supply?Do they use a normal SIM card? Can a DO get them to send a text?

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

2011 wrote: »
    I can't help you there DD, but I would be very interested in the units that you are refering to. Where do you get them? Will they work from a 12 VDC supply?Do they use a normal SIM card? Can a DO get them to send a text?

Many thanks!

yea telit do a range of modules. I don't have the exact model number of the one i use to hand, but from memory it will take a 12->36V power supply, got a few digital i/o and an few analogue channels. It takes a normal sim card and can send service data via sms, gprs and even voice calls. You write scripts in python to run on it.

I get them through a supplier in work, so not sure who would supply the general public with them, i'm sure you can buy them off the net.

it just seems like the telit module although great, is a bit over-kill for the application i'm looking at, so was wondering if there's something simpler out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Have a look here http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/index.html - but my impression is that 'low cost GSM' doesn't exist due to the license fees paid by the manufacturers.
    I heard that 85% of the cost of a GSM device goes into the (2000?) licenses alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Have a look here http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/index.html - but my impression is that 'low cost GSM' doesn't exist due to the license fees paid by the manufacturers.
    I heard that 85% of the cost of a GSM device goes into the (2000?) licenses alone...

I never thought about RF solutions for a gsm module.

They look quite good and cheap at £30, http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/GSM_Modules.html. i'm sure in volume they would come down in price. It looks like it would need to be plugged into a main board to supply regulated power + sim card connections..

Advertisement