Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Archives and Records Management

Options
  • 23-02-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Im wondering if anyone has done this masters and can tell me anything about it or job prospects afterwards? Any info at all would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this course. I plan to do this as an M.A. after I finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 19

Hi,
    The course MA Archives and Records Management at UCD is very intensive but you will get a very in depth knowledge of the archives and RM world. You also do a work placement for a week, usually in the UK which helps to put the theory into perspective. In order to get onto the course it would be essential to have work experience. This could involve volunteer work at your local authority archive. Job prospects at the moment are the same as all other sectors, very little. If you are willing to go to the UK the employment prospects are usually some what better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've applied for this. Have 6 months full time experience volunteering in an archive. Hope to get in after all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

I've applied for this. Have 6 months full time experience volunteering in an archive. Hope to get in after all that!

Hi- sorry I know this is an old thread but I was just wondering where you did your volunteer work ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 yelofmail

Job prospects are nil. All archivist positions being advertized at the moment are through FÁS job placement programs and pay €50 above the basic social welfare.
    You'd be competing with archivists who qualified years ago and have years experience (over the last 3-4 years many archivists were employed on contracts that have expired and they are now on the job market).
    I completed the course a few years ago and I've never earned so much as a cent from archival work.
    The situation is slightly better in Britain and other countries but to be honest if you want to work as an archivist there you'd be better off finding an archives MA course in your preferred country and studying there, you will find much better opportunists to volunteer there and gain the experience you need to get a foothold in the profession.
    As usual with everything else in Ireland that is dominated by the public sector archives are backward and underfunded, the archival profession is incestuous and dominated by dull public servants who are more interested in protecting their own benefits than archives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

yelofmail wrote: »
    Job prospects are nil. All archivist positions being advertized at the moment are through FÁS job placement programs and pay €50 above the basic social welfare.
    You'd be competing with archivists who qualified years ago and have years experience (over the last 3-4 years many archivists were employed on contracts that have expired and they are now on the job market).
    I completed the course a few years ago and I've never earned so much as a cent from archival work.
    The situation is slightly better in Britain and other countries but to be honest if you want to work as an archivist there you'd be better off finding an archives MA course in your preferred country and studying there, you will find much better opportunists to volunteer there and gain the experience you need to get a foothold in the profession.
    As usual with everything else in Ireland that is dominated by the public sector archives are backward and underfunded, the archival profession is incestuous and dominated by dull public servants who are more interested in protecting their own benefits than archives.

Hey- thanks for the reply.

Do you mind if I ask about how you found the course itself ?

30Min wrote: »
    Hey- thanks for the reply.

Do you mind if I ask about how you found the course itself ?

The course was heavy on theory. It would have been a lot better if it was stretched out over two years with a lot more emphases on practical work. I have done work in archives and I've found that what I learned in the classroom was not of great help on its own. Of course the program has changed over the years and that may be part of it but I doubt that. You really need to find a course that would provide practical work with it. Check out the courses on offer in the UK. The Irish degree won't get you a job in the UK and that is your best option for paying work. Opportunities for archivists in Ireland are non existent. You won't hear that from UCD or the Society of Archivists but it's the case. Many jobs that are "advertized" are contracts up for renewal and people who've been qualified for years with years of experience aren't even called for interview. Don't be fooled by job postings. If you have the resources and no short to medium term commitment to Ireland (eg, boy/girlfriend, spouse, children, elderly parents) even further afield than the UK is a better option.

Volunteer work and the FÁS jobs are sucker work too, considering the market. I wouldn't encourage anyone to take such jobs until there were opportunities for paying work. There are companies out there who take archivists on for short term contracts (a couple of months at a time) but they pay below the starting rate for archivists with longer term contracts or permanent jobs and of course there are no pensions or other benefits. That work is limited. So over all such jobs contribute to the problem rather than solve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Luna2012

I just got offered a place for next sept. Very happy about it, but a bit worried now after reading above! Just wondering what the timetable was like, how often were you in college during the week? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

My girlfriend just got accepted onto that course. I just asked her and she said she got a letter saying expect 'daily attendance in Archives often for very long hours'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

CommanderC wrote: »
    My girlfriend just got accepted onto that course. I just asked her and she said she got a letter saying expect 'daily attendance in Archives often for very long hours'.

That's no understatement!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

BabyBirch wrote: »
    That's no understatement!

What were the hours like Baby birch ?

How many people were in your class ?

Did you enjoy it ?

Sorry- I am asking on behalf of gf who doesn't have an account :o

Did you enjoy it ?

Core modules are in the morning as are most electives. In the first semester there was an archival collection to process, this was mostly done in the afternoon and Friday, no lectures were scheduled on Friday. In the second there was the dissertation which was worked on in afternoons and Friday. It's not like anyone is checking up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Did you enjoy it ?

I was there a couple of years ago, we were in pretty much 9-5 but some people stayed as late as midnight working in the library (there is a library of archival theory related material in the department). There was 11 in my class, it was a nice bunch which made it more pleasant but the work was quite overwhelming.

The previous head of the course retired this year so perhaps it will become a little more relaxed in the department!

If you want to PM me I'll send you my email address if your gf wants to get in touch, I'd be happy to chat to her :)

Advertisement