Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Landline numbers important?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the early stages of setting up a business with a friend. We are getting our business cards printed up in the next week or two. These will have our mobile numbers and a website address on them.

I'm interested on getting some feedback on whether we should also have a landline number? Is it important for a business to have a landline number along with mobile numbers and are we limiting our customer base by not having one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

I think it's very important. Remember there are other ways to get landline numbers without paying crazy eircom business rates, skype would be one for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LauraOrlagh

I think it's essential for any business to have a landline number - it gives the company more credibility and a sense of being more established. Another important aspect to remember is that if you are applying for credit from any company they may decline you if you don't provide a valid landline number. You also would be limiting your customer base by not having a landline number in my opinion. I hope this helps.

Laura Kelly
    Credit Control Covered Ltd.
    http://www.creditcontrolcovered.com/
    Laura@creditcontrolcovered.com

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭happyeveryday

I think it's essential for any business to have a landline number - it gives the company more credibility and a sense of being more established. Another important aspect to remember is that if you are applying for credit from any company they may decline you if you don't provide a valid landline number. You also would be limiting your customer base by not having a landline number in my opinion. I hope this helps.

Laura Kelly
    Credit Control Covered Ltd.
    http://www.creditcontrolcovered.com/
    Laura@creditcontrolcovered.com

+1. Never like seeing promotional material, websites, what ever without a landline, even if its just a fax machine at the other end. You could just use a home number with an answering machine.
    Truth is i have the number at home as mine, broadband and fax machine, never answer the phone as nobody ever rings on it except telesales, and only get one fax a month. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Guillaume77

racram,
    You can get a also get a landline number and forward it to your mobile number. That way you don't need an actual phone.
    Another option is if you have a smart phone (iPhone, Android ...) you can receive calls to a geographic number directly on your mobile without any forwarding cost (you need a SIP client application which are free or are costing only a few bobs).

My company, Blueface, can help you in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Thanks for all your replies and feedback! Will definitely follow up on getting a landline number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I went through this recently. I am often offsite so a mobile number suits me better but I think a landline number is essential for credibility. I have a skype online number which diverts to my mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 reddog1

I think a skype # diverted is the way to go ,it has worked for me for some time now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

The companies that first come to mind that dont have landlines are those "charity" clothes collectors and dodgy tarmacadam companies, you dont want to be lumped into the same group as them!

Advertisement