Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resevoir Dog

Options
  • 23-02-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,

Long time reader, and have decided to create a log to keep track of my training and hopefully get some advice from you fine folks!

A bit of Background
    Age - 26
    Height - 5' 9"
    Weight - 206lbs, down from a high of 215 from the start of Feb

From Co Limerick and have a history of running from my teens and have kept it up very casually since, training for specific races. Have run for West Limerick AC in my teen years and joined GCH for a year last year, competing in the 5k series of races. Since then, my life has seen a huge change! I've moved to the US with the company I was working for in Galway and have started a new life in Boston since November.

So, back to the running, I am currently training for a 5k race on the weekend before Paddy's day, called Ras na Heireann. 5000 entrants so should be quite a spectacle.

My PB from the 5k series last year was 25.30 so I'm out to beat that as my immediate goal. After the training for the 5k is over I will hopefully find a 10k not too far away after that and build my way up. How far up, I dont know but I am certainly enjoying my training at the moment.

The Training
    So, I have been training for the last month, the last 2 weeks of which have been serious and following the latter few weeks of a Hal Higdon 5k plan. Most of my training has been in the Brookline area where I live. Its a great place to train and has a resevoir with a sand path surounding it which is about 1.3 miles around and just over a mile's run fro mmy house. It's so scenic and is a resource that I'm very appreciative of as it keeps the knees off the pavements for part of my run.
    Here's a picture of it that I found on Flickr, I'lll add my own soon.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2204/2044765070_e1e2574354.jpg

Back to the last few days:

Sat: 5.5 miles
    Mon: 3.5 Miles
    Tuesday: 3.1 Miles Treadmill in 26 mins

Hope to hear from you all
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck with the log and your goals Dave. Looks like a nice area to run.
    Even though the Boston marathon kicked my ass a few years ago I really enjoyed the area and the enthusiasm the locals have for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

Thanks Derm,

Actually meant to say that in my first post. The enthusiasm and following for running and jogging in Boston is phenomenal! No matter what time of the day it is, there will always be someone out on the roads.

The resevoir is great, that picture was obviously taken in summer but at the moment the water is frozen over and there is some snow on the paths, really great to see and inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Dave_ wrote: »
    Thanks Derm,

Actually meant to say that in my first post. The enthusiasm and following for running and jogging in Boston is phenomenal! No matter what time of the day it is, there will always be someone out on the roads.

The resevoir is great, that picture was obviously taken in summer but at the moment the water is frozen over and there is some snow on the paths, really great to see and inspiring.

Best of luck,

Love the name of the Log, Cant beat running with snow around providing its safe:) It really is insprining!

gluck

Work meant that I didn't get a lot done last week but I enjoyed a good long run before the rugby on Saturday and got close to my 5k pb on the treadmill yesterday so I am happy with how the training is going. Hoping for a perfect week this week and into mid next week to set me up for the race on the 14th.

Saturday: 5.6 miles in 1 hour around Jamaica pond
    http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2009/01/15/jp8__1232039598_8003.jpg

Monday: 5k on treadmill - 25:39, a few seconds off my PB!

Tuesday: 4 Miles in 37.20 on the treadmill.

Feeling good again today. Tried to stick to 9 min miles, but was tired after yday. Sansa clip is helping with the boredom in the gym. Great piece of kit for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good luck with the goal Dave_. I hope to make it to Boston some time for the marathon. I have the qualifying time already, just need the money and the time.

Love the photos! Keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck dave. I'm also targeting a 5k pb on the 14th (in Dublin) so fingers crossed for both of us.:)

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - 4*400, 400 jog recovery.

Tradmill Interval session today. Was feeling quite ill before this and would have like to have done more but I'm glad I dragged myself to the gym to do it at all. Will have to look at pacing when on treadmill too. Did the fast @7.30 mpm and found it very comfortable, did the jog @12mpm and found it too slow. Will tweek this going forward as it's my first interval session in quite a while. 9 days till my first race of 2010, and I feel in good shape, legs have certainly improved in strength since this time last year, not getting any niggles worth talking about, thank god.

Friday: 4 Miles, 36 minutes on treadmill.

This has been a good week so far. Long run either tomorrow or Sunday and I will be happy with my weeks work. Ordered a pair of 2140s today aswell. Ran in a friends a couple of weeks ago and liked them so hope they turn out well. Might not run the race in them though.

Summary since log was created
    Miles This Week - 13.1
    Total Miles - 32.8
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 8

2 Miles tonight, half of which was up the very aptly named Summit Avenue (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/114945841_f9f1a632ae.jpg?v=0). Left me a wheezing mess! Not ideal preperation for Sunday but at least i got out i guess.

On the up side, got a pair of 2140's and my reg pack for Sundays race today. Had tried my friends pair a few weeks ago and liked them. Felt good for a first run. Feel a lot lighter than my Mizuno Wave Alchemy's which I'll probably still wear on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Friday: 4 Miles at a good pace. Built up the confidence again ahead of the race.

Sunday: Ras na Heireann. Unfortunately, the wettest weekend of the year and a horrible day. Preparation was terrible, got hammered on an all day session, oops!
    So, the race. Felt good for the most part. Never stranded in a field of almost 4000, and was mostly moving up through the field. Felt a bit tired from half way on but struggled on. NO markers on the course to indicate where we were and that was very annoying. Was feeling well enough to pick it up near the end but only saw the finish line when we were 100 yards away. Overall it was a good race through the streets of Somerville.

So, finished in 24.59, which I'm quite happy with. 32 second PB and indicates im running a bit faster than this time last year. Hopefully be able to keep it up this year.

Tuesday 16th - 1 hour spin

Wednesday 17th - 3 miles 28 mins

Thursday 25th - 3.1 Miles in 29.30

Back training after a full week out with flu. Felt rough today but hopefully I'll get back into my stride again within the next week or so.

Miles This Week - 3.1
    Total Miles - 47.8
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 13

Monday: 5.25 Miles on Treadmill in 51 minutes

This was tough....wanted to hit 6 miles but was perhaps too much today. Hit more of a mental barrier than a physical one.

Down under 205lbs for the first time also, mostly thanks to running. The weather is getting better here so will finally be able to start running outside at work. Office complex building is built into the forest, and have a USATF certified trail which I'm looking forward to using on lunch.

Tuesday: 2.1 miles in 16:30, treadmill

Hit the treadmill again today, hoping to get 5k out of the run but could not hold on so ended up a mile short. Bit disappointed but ran a good distance yesterday and can't complain.

Miles This Week - 8.35
    Total Miles - 55.3
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 15

Thursday: 3.25 Miles on Treadmill in 29 mins

Friday: 4 miles down by the resevoir in the glorious boston sunshine. :cool:

Sweated like an animal in the sun but really enjoyed the run today even though i was as slow as a wet week.

Miles This Week - 15.6
    Total Miles - 62.5
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 17

Tuesday:
    1/2 Mile Warm Up + Stretch
    800m 3.45
    400m jog
    800m 3.45
    400m Jog
    800m 3.45
    400m jog
    800m 3.45
    400m Jog
    1/2 mile cool down + Stretch

Did this on the treadmill so wouldn't believe the pacing too much although i did wait until the treadmill had reached the 7.30 pace before starting to count the 800. Found the run tough but enjoyable. Will look to increase the number of reps over the coming weeks.

Miles This Week - 4
    Total Miles - 66.5
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 18

Wednesday: 4 Mile walk with herself on my running route in 31 degree sunshine (not going to count this in my weekly mileage but it was enjoyable)

Thursday: Treadmill 5k, Very tiring run but delighted I stuck with the pace as I wanted to stop after 2 miles!
    1/2 mile warmup
    5k - 23.45 PB!
    1/2 Mile cool Down

Miles This Week - 8.1
    Total Miles - 70.6
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 19

Saturday: 4 Mile Run of the normal route. Did it with a mate in the sun and have developed a very traditional farmers tan!

Miles This Week - 12.1
    Total Miles - 74.6
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 20

Sunday: 7 Miles LSR - Longest Run to date

Miles This Week - 19.1
    Total Miles - 81.6
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

...some snow on the paths ...
    .... in 31 degree sunshine

Hey !

Reading your log I hit the 31 degrees comment and just just realized that you are "up the road" from me (I'm in NJ across the river from NYC). Good luck with the goals - I can sympathize with training though winter and summers in the North East. Buy the sunblock in bulk ! Brookline is a nice area - years since I've been there, though we make it to Boston pretty regularly. Hoping to be there for the Boston Marathon next year ( fingers crossed).

• Advertisement

Hi PG,

Nice to hear from another person here in the States. It's funny looking back on the log and remembering back to a few weeks ago when the resevoir was completely frozen over. What a difference a couple of weeks can make, the snow has turned into rain (had two 3-day storms) but its been perfect besides that, in the high teens every day.

I am looking forward to the Boston marathon, albeit as a spectator. As a long term goal, to qualify and run Boston in 2012 would be a dream come through. I reckon if i got a marathon under my belt this year in a reasonable time, it could be a realistic target, but I dont want to get ahead of myself as I am enjoying it all so much at the moment.

Monday: 4 Miles on Treadmill - 36:00

Amazed how easy this felt after the 7 miles yesterday. 9 minute miles are now a quite comfortable pace.

Weight now down to 198 pounds, a 17 pound drop in 3 months, delighted with this as I feel very healthy right now.

Miles This Week - 4
    Total Miles - 85.6
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 22

Thursday: Good treadmill interval session at 7.03 minute miles with 2/300m rest. Felt good for most of it but slight pain in shin. Thinking 5 miles tomorrow and 5k race on Sunday but not sure yet.

800m Warm up
    200m jog
    400m - 1.46
    200m jog
    400m 1.46/300m jog (x6)
    400m warm down

Miles This Week - 7.9
    Total Miles - 89.5
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 23

Friday: 8 Miles LSR on the treadmill. First 6 at 9.47 and last 2 at 9.30... Tired!

Miles This Week - 15.9
    Total Miles - 97.5
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 24

Doing another 5k race on Sunday.....will tip me over the 100 mile mark :D

So, ran another 5k race today and must say im delighted. Not great prep again as I was out last night but still feel i did well. Got up at 7.30 and had a banana to give me some energy an hour before the race.

The race took place in soldiers field , a place where ive been meaning to go for a run for a while now. Down by the river and a lovely setting. Gun went off and took about 4 seconds to get past the start. Used the slippy grass to get past a few people, followed by a tall bloke in a yellow t-shirt who i would meet later in the race. Felt quite good at this early stage.

Stayed with yellow t man for half a mile and he then started to open up a gap. was left running at a good pace with a lady from boston, who turned out to be yellow t's girlfriend. She also broke away from me, going on to catch a red haired guy that had been 30 m in front of us by halfway. She also caught up with her fella.

Went through a rough point at just past halfway and was convinced that I would not break my pb. Started to feel a bit better coming on the way back and could see the finish less than a mile away. Caught up with red haired man with half a mile to go, bringing him along with me. at this stage i had closed the gap to yellow t-man from about 100 metres to about 30. Started to think I could catch him at this stage.

With about 400 to go I was up just behind him and could see the finish. Coming around the final bend we were neck and neck and flat out sprinting together. Passed him with 5m to go and was delighted and jaded with my effort. Delighted with the time of 23:01, which i am going to shorten to 22.59 to add in the time it took me to pass the start.

OVER THE 100 MILE MARK TODAY ASWELL!!

Overall - 800m warmup
    3.1 mile race

Miles This Week - 19.6
    Total Miles - 101.7
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 25

Friday: Back in the saddle after a week at home in ireland where i chose not to run. Plenty of walking in the countryside and at home which was nice.
    So 4 Miles around the Resevoir

Monday:
    3 Miles on the treadmill. So humid in the gym. Wanted to do 5 miles but I was feeling lightheaded so decided to stop.

Tuesday:
    5 Miles on the treadmill in 46.30. Felt really good doing this today, happy to be back again.

Miles This Week - 8
    Total Miles - 113.7
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 28

Thursday:
    Back to the treadmill this lunchtime.
    2 Miles @ 9.20
    2 Miles @ 9.05
    2.2 Miles @ 9.20

Trying to work my way up to that 8 mile workout in the Advanced Marathoning book. Long way away from week one of a program like that though. Wouldn't have been able to do 4 miles at quicker than 9 mins per mil, today anyway.

Miles This Week - 14.2
    Total Miles - 119.9
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 29

Friday:
    4 very easy miles in 38 minutes. a 8-10 miler tomorrow, to complete my best weeks training since i started back.

Miles This Week - 18.2
    Total Miles - 123.9
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 30

Missed out on my long run due to work and was absolutely raging but overall it was a good week

Monday:
    5 Miles in 46.30 on the treadmill. Felt easy so upped the pace for the last mile.

Miles This Week - 5
    Total Miles - 128.9
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 31

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 5.6 Miles with 3 miles at fast pace in the middle

1.3 Miles Slow
    3 Miles Fast
    1.3 Miles Slow

Have no idea of pacing (this is a problem if i intend doing a marathon. My total time was around 45 minutes so im guessing somewhere around 12 minutes each for the 2 x 1.3 miles and the 3 miles was somewhere around 8 minute mile pace. Guideline was half marathon pace but it was definately a lot too fast for that. Happy with the session overall though

Miles This Week - 10.6
    Total Miles - 134.5
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 32

Advertisement