Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resevoir Dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

Saturday: 10.67 Miles in Boston

Miles This Week - 21.2
    Total Miles - 145.1
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 33

Monday
    5 Miles in 45.20 on the treadmill. This run was harder than it should have been but I guess the long run on Saturday took a lot out of me so Im glad just to have it out of the way.

Miles This Week - 5
    Total Miles - 150.1
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 34

Tuesday: 2 miles 15.20

Bit of a disaster here. Should have rested as I was feeling tired after mondays run but decided to hit the gym for a quick 5k run. Literally pressed Self Destruct as I upped the pace to 7 minute miles for the second mile. By 2.1 miles my mind and body had had enough and I bailed. Should really have taken it easy but lesson learned...

Miles This Week - 7.1
    Total Miles - 152.2
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 35

Wednesday:

4.25 miles in 35.22
    Tried to hang on and do 10k, but once again needed to call a halt to the run early. Will just go out for a very easy run tomorrow and rest up until I attempt a 12 miler on Saturday/Sunday.

Entered the Boston Run to Remember half marathon on Sunday week so think I'll need that 12 miler to give me the confidence that I can finish the half in a respectable time. Looking forward to it, feel it will be a decent achievement!

Miles This Week - 11.3
    Total Miles - 156.4
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dave_ wrote: »
    Wednesday:

Entered the Boston Run to Remember half marathon on Sunday week so think I'll need that 12 miler to give me the confidence that I can finish the half in a respectable time. Looking forward to it, feel it will be a decent achievement!

Good luck with the HM.

I'm not in a position to offer advice (as I am not sure what I am dong myself ) but probably better to alternate the hard and easy days to keep the momentum going than keep pushing when it's not working.

• Advertisement

Hi Pgmcpq,

Thanks for the best wishes and feedback.

I totally agree with your advise and the worst thing is that I know myself that I was pushing too hard this week. Think I'm trying too hard to stick to a difficult program or hit a specific pace and not just listening to my body. I'm also very stubborn and if I tell myself before a run that i want to do 6 miles at 8 min mile pace, I'll just run at that pace until i cant run anymore, instead of just backing off when i know i wont be able to complete.
    Like yesterday, I knew after 2.5 miles that I wouldnt last the full 6 at the pace i was doing but still just kept going instead of decreasing the pace a bit and lasting the full distance. This attitude could bite me in the ass on Sunday week!

Thursday:
    4 easy miles this evening.....easy, although my shin was giving me a small bit of bother, nothing sore though.

Miles This Week - 15.3
    Total Miles - 160.4
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 37

Saturday:

11.2 miles in soldiers field in boston

Miles This Week - 26.5
    Total Miles - 171.7
    Runs This Week - 5
    Total Runs - 38

Tuesday:

1.3 Miles
    10 mins stretching
    1.5 miles
    4x30 sec hills
    10 mins stretching
    1.3 Miles

So hot out there, really starting to worry about my ability to run a good time on Sunday if it stays like this. Also, felt very tight in the quads after Saturdays run, hence the stretching. Was thinking of two more sessions like this before the half....do people think that this would be enoughor should I be looking to do a bit more/less?

Miles This Week - 4.2
    Total Miles - 175.9
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 39

This heat is insane. Having never been on a sun holiday i can safely say its the hottest weather ive ever witnessed. Makes running difficult but I still love it.

Wednesday:
    1.3 Miles
    10 mins stretching
    1.5 miles
    10 mins stretching
    1.3 Miles

Same as last night without the hills. Buckets upon buckets of sweat. 26 degrees at 8.30 at night!

Miles This Week - 8.2
    Total Miles - 179.9
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 40

• Advertisement

Good luck Sunday. Looks like the heat has broken a bit ... still keep an eye on how you feel. Stubborn is a good quality .... up to a point !

Boston Run to Remember Half Marathon 30 May 8am Race Report:

Hopped on the T Sunday morning at 6am to head down to the start of this Race down by the Seaport area of South Boston City. Pleased to see some cloud coverage at this time and the temperature was noticeably warm but not as bad as I expected. Effiecient registration and bag drop off facilities and I was all set with an hour to go until the race. Looked around the expo for a while and bought a packet of gel sweets so i could have 2 sweets in my pocket for during the race.

About 7.20 I went out for a walk, followed by a run and warmup. Kept at a nice slow pace and thanked my lucky stars when I realised that my shin was not in pain.This gave me confidence that I could go out and run the race and try to keep up to the 2 hour pace that I wanted. Unfortunately, the heat was rising all the while and was about 25 degrees when the race started at 8am on the dot.

Counted around 2 minutes to cross the start line so passed the first mile in the city at 9 and a half minutes. Made up this in the second mile to average out at 9 minute miles for the first two.

Went over that at mile 4 when i took on water but again by mile 6 i had managed to keep the average at 9 mins per mile. It was after the water station at mile 8 that my pace started to drop off a bit. Having went out of the city for miles 3-10, the route back into the city tired me out. By mile 10, I was just about on for 2 hour pace but knew I was struggling. After hitting the water station at mile 11 I had to do the 2.1 miles in 19 minutes and even though I tried my best I knew I wouldn't do it when I crossed mile 12 in 1:52. Was exhausted at this stage and the last mile hurt like hell, passing Boston Common and out towards the World Trade Canter again.

Crossed the line in 2:03:30, for a chip time of 2:01:33. Very happy overall with finishing the race and staying on pace for so long. Learned a few lessons about running in heat and where to apply Body Glide in the future (my legs were fine but my arm-pits were raw!).

Miles This Week - 21.3
    Total Miles - 193.0
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 41

Wednesday:

5k in 29 mins on treadmill. First run back after the half. Was a nice easy one and didnt have too many aches and pains.

Miles This Week - 3.1
    Total Miles - 196.1
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 42

Great job on the HM. In humidity it's amazing what can chafe !

Bad week last week with only 5k but will get back on track this week.

Monday:

5 Miles in 44.45 on the treadmill. Found it tough after a week off. Hi tthe 200 mile mark though!! Will be interesting to see how far i can go in '10!

Miles This Week - 5
    Total Miles - 201.1
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 43

Didnt have much time today but still got over to the gym at work for 5k. Started off slow and gradually increased tha pace

Tuesday: 3.1 Miles

Miles This Week - 8.1
    Total Miles - 204.2
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 44

After an eventful 3 weeks which included a 10 day holiday in California and falling off a dirt bike Im back with some updates.

Week of 14th - 20th
    This was the week I was away so despite lots of hiking and walking I only got one session
    5 miles in 35 degree sunshine!

Week of 21st to 28th
    4 miles resevoir run
    2.5 miles treadmill
    3.1 miles treadmill

This week
    Monday - 4 miles resevoir run

Miles This Week - 4
    Total Miles - 223.8
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 49

Tuesday:
    3.5 miles hills

2 laps including two climbs of "Summit Avenue", half a mile up hill, with an ascent of 174 feet. Quads were burning after it but felt good overall. Should have done the full 4 miles I intended as I altered the route on the second lap but still feel that this was a good workout.

Miles This Week - 7.5
    Total Miles - 227.3
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 50

Wednesday:

Really going to try and fit in one cross training day a week while I train for the marathon. Did this weeks installment yesterday and did some core and strength work. I was a bit all over the place in terms of structure however. Can anyone link me to a thread in the main forum that lists out a core and strength program for runners?

Today's plan - 4 miles (+ might try and make up the half mile i missed on tuesday!)

Thursday:

4.5 Miles total
    1.5 @ 10 mins
    2 @ 8.57
    1@ 10 mins

Made up the half mile I missed and added in 2 PMP miles so happy with today's effort. 2 runs left this week, will hopefully fit them in tomorrow and Saturday.

Miles This Week - 12.0
    Total Miles - 231.8
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 51

• Advertisement

Friday:
    4 slow miles around the resevoir

Saturday:
    7 miles around the resevoir. 2 miles short of my planned lsr but good to get out. Overall, my best week in a while.

Miles This Week - 23.0
    Total Miles - 243.8
    Runs This Week - 5
    Total Runs - 53

Monday:

4 miles at the reservoir. Left it till 8.30 but was still boiling hot!

Miles This Week - 4
    Total Miles - 247.8
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 54

Tuesday:

4.2 miles with 2 circuits of summit avenue for hills. tough in sweltering heat again.

Over 250 miles woop!

Miles This Week - 8.2
    Total Miles - 252
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 55

Friday:

5.4 miles tonight in the heat. Tough and slow!

Miles This Week - 13.6
    Total Miles - 257.4
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 56

Monday:

4 miles on treadmill. Tough after an unhealthy weekend!

Miles This Week - 4
    Total Miles - 261.4
    Runs This Week - 1
    Total Runs - 57

Tuesday:

5 miles on the treadmill. Nice run today but took a lot out of me. Will throw in some cross training tomorrow instead of a run.

Miles This Week - 9
    Total Miles - 266.4
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 58

Wendesday:

Weights and core work

Friday:

3.5 miles on the treadmill
    Not good today, head wasn't in it + body was still hurting from above!!

Long run tomorrow morning, and possibly a 4.1 mile race on Sunday depending on how i'm feeling.

Miles This Week - 12.5
    Total Miles - 269.9
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 59

Didnt get either of the planned runs in this weekend, very annoying

Tuesday:

5 miles, starting slow finishing strong

Wednesday

Same as above

Miles This Week - 10
    Total Miles - 279.9
    Runs This Week - 2
    Total Runs - 61

Friday:

4 miles in 37 mins on the treadmill. Happy to get this done and felt quite good.

Miles This Week - 14
    Total Miles - 283.9
    Runs This Week - 3
    Total Runs - 62

• Advertisement

Saturday:

4 miles down at the resevoir. 100 degree heat made it tough.

Miles This Week - 18
    Total Miles - 287.9
    Runs This Week - 4
    Total Runs - 63

Advertisement