Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Go To A Gig Just For The Support Band?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I bought my ticket to Metallica in 2009 just because I wanted to see Alice In Chains again, based on the strength of their 2006 performance in support of the same band....I wasn't disappointed

I went to a Killswitch Engage gig in 2003 in Dublin to see Shadow's Fall do a 20 minute support set....it was worth it....I now like KSE

I went to Bon Jovi last year in Kildare purposely to see Kid Rock

I went to a Judas Priest gig just to see Megadeth supporting them

And I went to see Avril Lavinge (many, many years ago) just because she was touring with a band called Our Lady Of Peace who have never played Europe since

You guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Metallica for Alice in Chains, 2009.

Metallica for Alice in Chains, 2006.

Airbourne for Stone Gods, 2008(Ambassador show, cant remember year)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I went to see Trivium in the ambassodor just to see Annihilator and Gojira. Also went to the RHCP's in the phoenix park just to see the pixies. Went to see Metallica in 2009 just to see Glyder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

U2 at Slane to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Best performance out of the many times I've seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I went to David Gray at The O2 last December mainly to see Regina Spektor.

I went to an MTV gig in the Tivoli a few years back where Feeder, Snow Patrol and another band were playing. I was mainly there to see Snow Patrol. Feeder topped the bill at that time but Snow Patrol were so much better that night.

When I was living in NJ but going to college in Baltimore, I went to a gig at a venue in NJ during the summertime just to see one of my favourite Baltimore area bands, Jimmie's Chicken Shack (JCS), open for another band that I can't remember now (though I believe they had one or two hit singles at the time).

I also went to the Merriweather Post Pavilion in 1998 to see JCS open for Creed but mainly went for JCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Ha, one of the first ever gigs I went to in Cork City Hall in about 94 to see the Emperor of Ice Cream open for The Pale I think it was.

Alice in Chains open for Metallica in 2009
    MGMT open for I can't even remember who in the Academy in 2008
    Duke Special + orchestra opened for Jose Gonzalez in Kilmainham but I think they copped their mistake and switched the bill - much to the annoyance of people actually there to see Jose that skipped the support but actually ended up missing him!

I love being pleasantly surprised by a support band / act that I've never heard of before though. Most recent notable mentions...

Fight Like Apes when they opened for Apples in Stereo in Whelans 2007(?)
    Kerbdog when they opened for Therapy in Cork City Hall 2004 I think
    Fionn Regan for Damien Rice in Vicar Street in 2006/2007
    Priscilla Ahn for Ray LaMontagne in the Olympia 2009
    Marcus Mumford (of Mumford and Sons) for Laura Marling Whelans 2009
    Sons of Noel and Adrian for O Emperor Upstairs in Whelans 2009

To name but a few that jump to mind...

It always pays to get there early!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Misfit Mum

Yeah it's great, the band you want are on early and then you can relax by the bar for the next one :)

Arctic Monkeys in 2009 to see Eagles of Death Metal, who were on fire!
    Metallica 2009 to see Alice in Chains loved DuVall more then I thought I would
    Metallica 2008 to see Tenacious D, really enjoyed Metallica though and was glad to see them again year after!
    Linkin Park 2008 to see Queens of the Stone Age
    That's all I can think of for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

JJ wrote: »
    I went to David Gray at The O2 last December mainly to see Regina Spektor.

I went to an MTV gig in the Tivoli a few years back where Feeder, Snow Patrol and another band were playing. I was mainly there to see Snow Patrol. Feeder topped the bill at that time but Snow Patrol were so much better that night.

remember that well-ish, it was paddys day and it didnt start til about 10pm.
    Never saw footage from this gig ever. Was out boozing for Paddys and then went to the gig. was so very very drunk that night. first band was called Lowgold i think.

Misfit Mum wrote: »
    Yeah it's great, the band you want are on early and then you can relax by the bar for the next one :)

Arctic Monkeys in 2009 to see Eagles of Death Metal, who were on fire!
    Metallica 2009 to see Alice in Chains loved DuVall more then I thought I would
    Metallica 2008 to see Tenacious D, really enjoyed Metallica though and was glad to see them again year after!
    That's all I can think of for now!

How could I forget that one myself:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Twice

Duke Special + orchestra opening for Jose Gonzalez in Kilmainham. Bill was switched but happy either way

Peter Gabriel in Marlay Park to see Crowded House. Never been so wet in my life (I've been drier in a shower TBH) but the Crowdies were brilliant. Peter Gabriel reminded me of a drunk dad at a wedding. He looked like he wandered up on stage by mistake and couldn't figure out how to get off it. Left half way through his set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Metallica tickets to see Tenacious D! Though Metallica surprised me!! I thought they'd be playing nothing but Garage inc crap but they played the good ole classics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i went to muse in marley park few years ago to see kasabian who were amazing but muse were class that gig really got me into there music

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I went to My Chemical Romance back in 2004/5 I think in The Ambassador to see Every Time I Die.

When I was at Oxegen two years ago I only wanted to see Pendulum and then I fcuked back to the tent until Sunday for RATM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Mushy wrote: »
    Metallica for Alice in Chains, 2009.

Metallica for Alice in Chains, 2006.

A couple of people have said this alright, such a shame they couldn't do their own headline show over here and yet gave the UK a good few dates

A couple of people have said this alright, such a shame they couldn't do their own headline show over here and yet gave the UK a good few dates

Its amazing no promoter has picked up on it. Would easily sell out, prob two dates at Olympia. Someday though, someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I went to see Trivium in the ambassodor just to see Annihilator and Gojira

Me too :)
    Also went to the RHCP's in the phoenix park just to see the pixies

Me too :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Linkin Park in 08 to see Queens of the stone age

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There were a good few people ( several of my friends included) at The Who in 2007 for Velvet Revolver - who weren't even there in the end. :cool:

David Gray for Regina Spektor in December, although I got food poisoning and ended up leaving for David Gray...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Misfit Mum wrote: »
    How could I forget that one myself:eek:
    NTMK wrote: »
    Linkin Park in 08 to see Queens of the stone age

snap! jesus, i wonder how many others were there for qotsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

One more at Metallica 2009 to see Alice In Chains and Chili Peppers to see the Pixies.

Would love to see AIC headlining. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

One of my first gigs.

Went to see JJ72 support Muse in The Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

me too!!!

and I had a ticket for Metallica in Marlay last year but got sick a few days b4 the gig so couldn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Marduk for Anaal Nathrakh just the other week there.

The Haunted for Stampin' Ground a few years ago.

Possibly Suffocation for Annotations of an Autopsy in a couple of weeks.

Probably loads more that I've forgotten..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

While I didn't go to the gig in the end, Pixies supporting Red Hot Chili Peppers in Phoenix Park, 2004 was a real pisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I went to see Radiohead in Marlay Park just to see Beck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

everyone i know went to that gig to see Qotsa or Coheed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

2004 - Chili Peppers in the Phoenix park. I went for the Pixies.

2007 - Arctic Monkey's in Malahide - I went to see Supergrass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I can't believe I had to buy a ticket to the ****ing Foo Fighters to see Nine Inch Nails - play in the middle of the day! That was unbelievably frustrating.

I stood there, watching Dave Grohl bash out a load of generic rock songs thinking 'Trent could be on now, in the dark, with an amazing light show..bollocks'

To make matters worse, my girlfriend met one of her friends at the end of the show. She asked her friend about Nine inch Nails and she replied with something like 'oh yeah, who the hell were they?'

Gah!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Went to Slane in 1993 to see Pearl Jam who didn't disappoint.

Whoever put Van Morrison on before them was a complete and utter sadist. All the women in flowery dresses who were watching Van got destroyed the minute Eddie and the lads came out onto the stage. That was a great set.

I enjoyed Neil Young as well eventhough I wasn't and am not really into his music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Its amazing no promoter has picked up on it. Would easily sell out, prob two dates at Olympia. Someday though, someday!

I reckon we could get a date in 2010, their UK tour was a joke in many ways...that's why they had to come back and do some extra dates a month after they first played. I don't think they realised how popular they were, in some venues the fee was less then £20 and it was the size of the Village.

Advertisement