Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Go To A Gig Just For The Support Band?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

U2 at Slane to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Best performance out of the many times I've seen them

ditto. they were brilliant that day.

also went to see Simple Kid when he supported David Gray down at the Marquee in Cork. Left halfway through the first david gray song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That_Guy wrote: »
    When I was at Oxegen two years ago I only wanted to see Pendulum and then I fcuked back to the tent until Sunday for RATM. :)

Are you me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Ben Folds and The Divine Comedy did a double bill in the Ambassador a few years ago. I left after Ben Folds' set.
    I went to Simple Minds in the O2 last December to see Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark play an hour's support slot.
    Not quite the same thing, but I bought a ticket for Grizzly Bear in Vicar Street when it was first announced, but then St. Vincent was added to the bill, so I was much more interested in seeing her on the night.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

That_Guy wrote: »
    I went to My Chemical Romance back in 2004/5 I think in The Ambassador to see Every Time I Die.

When I was at Oxegen two years ago I only wanted to see Pendulum and then I fcuked back to the tent until Sunday for RATM. :)

I'd say they're a jolly bunch

o1s1n wrote: »
    I can't believe I had to buy a ticket to the ****ing Foo Fighters to see Nine Inch Nails - play in the middle of the day! That was unbelievably frustrating.

I stood there, watching Dave Grohl bash out a load of generic rock songs thinking 'Trent could be on now, in the dark, with an amazing light show..bollocks'

To make matters worse, my girlfriend met one of her friends at the end of the show. She asked her friend about Nine inch Nails and she replied with something like 'oh yeah, who the hell were they?'

Gah!!!! :mad:

is someone not knowing NIN such a bad thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

didn't realise how often i've done this til i read the thread, thank OP!

RHCP in slane for PJ Harvey
    RHCP in landsdowne road for New Order
    RHCP in phoenix park for the Pixies.
    I don't even like RHCP and i've now seen them 3 times.

Foo Fighters in Marlay Park for Nine Inch Nails
    Kaiser Chiefs in Marlay Park for the Fratellis
    Placebo in the SFX for Kerbdog.

all i can think of atm.
    Marky

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jordonvito wrote: »
    is someone not knowing NIN such a bad thing?

What I meant was, I'd spent years waiting to see a NIN performance, and here was some eejit just fobbing them off as some rubbish instantly forgettable support band.

It angered mise :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

went to Lily Allen just to see Example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

snap! jesus, i wonder how many others were there for qotsa?[/QUOTE

Me too.Got a bit drunk and started shouting that Linkin Park are S*it and had to leave quickly.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the Phoenix Park, just to see the Pixies.

It was awesome to see thousands of people streaming out after them. Security looking baffled and constantly saying to people, you cant come back in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

What I meant was, I'd spent years waiting to see a NIN performance, and here was some eejit just fobbing them off as some rubbish instantly forgettable support band.

I was at that gig as well, NIN were class. I hadnt listened to a lot of their stuff at the time, i had one album, but it was one with the remixed stuff. For most people they were some rubbish instantly forgettable support band. I was supprised they were on the same line up as the Foo's. would love to see NIN again, indoors!

was going to go to Linkin Park, just to see QOTSA, but at the time i had no car, so i couldnt justify spending that much on a gig ticket and return bus from roscommon to see them play for 40 mins. I nearly cried when they clashed with MUSE at oxegen 07:(

i understand your anger anois,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Went to Def Leppard in the SFX back in 1987 just to see Tesla - who's debut album, Mechanical Resonance, had just been released and I instantly thought it kicked arse. They were brilliant. Def Leppard ended up being OK too that night ... I think it was their Hysteria Tour ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

And I went to see Avril Lavinge (many, many years ago) just because she was touring with a band called Our Lady Of Peace who have never played Europe since
    Been lookin for that band for AGES! Only caught the end of their set, they're whopp

Lenny Kravitz in Marlay Park to see Alanis Morisette, and One Republic and The Script

I like Lenny, just not as much as the rest

Alanis bein the ultimate highlight though, Best gig ever!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

went to bowling for soup last year to see mc lars and zebrahead, going to liverpool in march to mc lars gig to see k.flay support

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Motörhead 2002 (for Anthrax)
    Priest Feast 2009 (for Testament and Megadeth)
    Fatboy Slim 2009 (for Dizzee Rascal and Calvin Harris)
    :)

Lacuna Coil 2006 or 2007 (to see Lacrimas Profundere - when I got there I had to find out they canceled their support that day)
    :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭lanyonwhites

Went to see Pixies just to see Kings of Leon in Landowne, not a fan of Pixies then, fastforward 5 years, fan of pixies and well KOL grew up into the worlds biggest popband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

A few years back I went to see Kings Of Leon play in Landsdowne thinking they were the headliner but it turned out they were supporting the Pixies. This was before I knew who the Pixies were. Ended up leaving halfway through the set. Now I love the Pixies and couldn't give a **** about KOL. Funny how things change in a few years. Definitely one of the biggest regrets of my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

Btw had no idea the guy above me posted the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

RHCP at Slane really just for QOTSA, but also the day out I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

May 26, 2010

Rihanna show, but I only go to see Pixie Lott.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I just remembered that I also went to see Sparklehorse mainly to see Gemma Hayes but I was also delightfully entertained by the main act. In light of Mark Linkous' recent suicide, I'm glad I got to see Sparklehorse live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭fluke

Went to see Crowded House when Peter Gabriel was the headline act at marley park, left after a few of his songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If it's true that The Jesus and Mary Chain will be support QOTSA in Novermber I might go to see JAMC

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Nirvana in the Point to see The Breeders and Teenage Fanclub. Still didn't get the Nirvana fuss after seeing them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

honru wrote: »
    While I didn't go to the gig in the end, Pixies supporting Red Hot Chili Peppers in Phoenix Park, 2004 was a real pisser.

I saw the Pixies, and left :)

It was also my daughter's first gig unless you count being a fetus at Iggy Pop and the Stooges. She's now going on her own ticket to see the Pixies in November this year. Traditions huh?

Some things are priceless, for everything else there is Dad's Mastercard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Tempted to go see Foals but just to see Cage The Elephant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Went to a CKY gig in the Ambassador years ago to see Clutch support. Clutch were amazing, but wasted on the majority of the audience. I got through a song and a half of CKY's set and had to leave - I don't know anything about them, but they came across like a bunch of jackasses. 40 minutes of Clutch was worth the ticket price though, plus I was able to pick up the Live in Flint album and a shirt on the way out. Man I wish they'd come back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Evan Dando to see The Icarus Line in Galway and Dublin
    Elastica in TBMC to see Muse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Went to faithless in marley park just to see kasabian who were oddly supporting them. Left as soon as kasabian finished.

Advertisement