Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Go To A Gig Just For The Support Band?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A few years back I went to see Kings Of Leon play in Landsdowne thinking they were the headliner but it turned out they were supporting the Pixies. This was before I knew who the Pixies were. Ended up leaving halfway through the set. Now I love the Pixies and couldn't give a **** about KOL. Funny how things change in a few years. Definitely one of the biggest regrets of my life!
    wasn't the pixies best night!!

Went to see annihilator and gojira support bloody Trivium of all people...i'm not one to blatently make a point of walking out, but once Trivium played 4 songs it was passed my time to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The Stones at Slane in 2007, I went for The Hold Steady, but also got to see Tinariwen (if you haven't heard them, stop what you're doing and seek them out) and the Charlatans.

The Hold steady were better in Limerick the next night, mind.

The Stones were pure wank. As far as I'm concerned they ceased to have any relevance as the final chords of Undercover faded away.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

o1s1n wrote: »
    I can't believe I had to buy a ticket to the ****ing Foo Fighters to see Nine Inch Nails - play in the middle of the day! That was unbelievably frustrating.

I stood there, watching Dave Grohl bash out a load of generic rock songs thinking 'Trent could be on now, in the dark, with an amazing light show..bollocks'

To make matters worse, my girlfriend met one of her friends at the end of the show. She asked her friend about Nine inch Nails and she replied with something like 'oh yeah, who the hell were they?'

Gah!!!! :mad:

Same here, went to that gig to see NIN, who were class. And then fooked off soon after foo fighters came on, couldn't take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

A few years back I went to see Kings Of Leon play in Landsdowne thinking they were the headliner but it turned out they were supporting the Pixies. This was before I knew who the Pixies were. Ended up leaving halfway through the set. Now I love the Pixies and couldn't give a **** about KOL. Funny how things change in a few years. Definitely one of the biggest regrets of my life!

Was at that gig, Budwieser festival. The place was jammer's for KOL then emptied out when the Pixies came on, lot of teenage girls and their drunk boyfriends. KOL were good but ran out of steam near the end. Pixies were great but the whole Stadium was half empty by then. The Place lacked atmosphere. I taught Teenage Fanclub stole the day that day, pity the crowd were full of disinterest teenagers.

Next day went to see Franz Ferdinand support Scissor Sisters. Franz were awesome but the place was empty until SS came on and stunk the place out. They play nothing but new stuff and didn't release half that stuff on the second album.

• Advertisement

wasn't the pixies best night!!

They were good but the crowd lacked any atompshere and the weather was crap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Looper007 wrote: »
    Was at that gig, Budwieser festival. The place was jammer's for KOL then emptied out when the Pixies came on, lot of teenage girls and their drunk boyfriends. KOL were good but ran out of steam near the end. Pixies were great but the whole Stadium was half empty by then. The Place lacked atmosphere. I taught Teenage Fanclub stole the day that day, pity the crowd were full of disinterest teenagers.

Next day went to see Franz Ferdinand support Scissor Sisters. Franz were awesome but the place was empty until SS came on and stunk the place out. They play nothing but new stuff and didn't release half that stuff on the second album.

Was at that gig too...was a bit of an odd buzz, but at least there was more room for hopping about. I saw them in Frankfurt for the Doolittle anniversary tour and they were much much better. Just a shame they hate each other so much ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Red Hot Chilli rubbish in Slane a few years back, just to see QOTSA, Feeder, and PJ Harvey.

RHCP are awful... every song sounds the same

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Caonima wrote: »
    Red Hot Chilli rubbish in Slane a few years back, just to see QOTSA, Feeder, and PJ Harvey.

Amazing the amount people who haven't realised that yet. And the amount of complete douchebags in their audience.

Shocking how they've managed to sustain their success for so long, too. Just a poor man's Faith No More, and I hope I don't insult FnM by saying that

• Advertisement

That was a great day

That was a great day

Queens had a strong setlist that day. Banging gig, you're right.

Queens had a strong setlist that day. Banging gig, you're right.

Did feeder play that day? Saw them in slane, and having never gone out of my way to listen to them I thought they were great, and I seemed to know most of their set somehow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Did feeder play that day? Saw them in slane, and having never gone out of my way to listen to them I thought they were great, and I seemed to know most of their set somehow!

Feeder played that day. Pretty good too. Metallica 96. Didnt go for the support but came away a fan of CoC. Played a great set that night.

Seen the Libertines support Supergrass back during Life on Other Planets tour, no one was about and they just release their debut album. Brilliant stuff. Supergrass were great as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

motorhead in wembley to see anthrax (and motorhead too i suppose)
    Anthrax to see my mates band The Swarm support them in the ambassador (i was going to anthrax anyway)
    dream theater 2 nights in a row to see Symphony x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

motorhead in wembley to see anthrax (and motorhead too i suppose)
    Anthrax to see my mates band The Swarm support them in the ambassador (i was going to anthrax anyway)
    dream theater 2 nights in a row to see Symphony x

The Swarm. A Limerick band?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

went to see Ash support U2 at Landsdowne Rd.

i hate U2 and Ash had '1977' out, which was a decent album (the rubbish that followed 1977 i was not to know about at the time). Diana had died the night before, so Bono had a big Diana image on the screen in the background near the end of the night and hammed up the event as you'd expect Bono to do, might have been Zooropa tour or whatever that album was called. anyway, went with some buddies, enjoyed Ash, suffered U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Hatebreed to see Crowbar, a couple of years back in whelans.

Feeder were great; they were on very early in the day. I had been a fan of theirs for a while and was impressed with them live. Sadly I missed the first 15 minutes of their set because I was waiting for my sister's spastic friend to show up at the main gate because she got lost. She ended up getting wasted after Queen's set and I had to haul her ass out of there. Would've bothered me more but I was only missing RHCP...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

metallica for alice in chains
    foo fighters to see nine inch nails
    linkin park for queens of the stone age
    bowling for soup for zebrahead
    plain white t's for cartel and boys like girls

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

lemonheads to see you am i
    symposium to see you am i
    the vines to see you am i
    rocket from the crypt to see you am i [tho i love rocket too]
    pearl jam to see the fastbacks
    soundgarden to see mudhoney
    u2 to see the pogues and rem
    counting crows to see the hold steady
    rhcp to see the rollins band
    thin lizzy to see the supersuckers

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Josh Ritter to see Delorentos in the Iveagh Gardens this year. Was the day before my birthday so went absolutely bonkers while everyone else was waiting patiently for Ritter to come on... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

seachto7 wrote: »
    The Swarm. A Limerick band?
    that'd be them alright.

the vines to see you am i

Met the Singer from You am I outside The Ambassador had the most awesome Afro I ever seen and he was Aussie (this is before Wolfmother guy was on the scene). Really nice guy we were talking about all kinds of music. Really underrated band.

That Vines gig was one of the worst but most interesting gigs I ever been too. It was a cluster**** but you couldn't turn away from the mess (this is before anyone knew about Craig Nicholls suffering from Asperger Syndrome). I think he could barely finish a song, he was thrown his clear see through guitar at the bass player (who looked like he wanted to kill him) and he was singing Outkast Cover Ms Jackson for over 10 minutes. It was a disappointment at the time cause I loved Highly Involved (still do) and It took me years to get back into the band.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

snap! jesus, i wonder how many others were there for qotsa?

Mise freisin!

I never really understood how Linkin Park could play over QOTSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

I went to Opeth just to see Cynic. As much as I enjoy Opeth on CD I find them quite boring live.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

U2 at Slane to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Best performance out of the many times I've seen them

Red Hot Chili Peppers at Croke Park just to see Noel G (cheap tickets and the Chili Peppers were great !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I went to Plain White Ts years ago just to see Boys Like Girls. Shame that both bands have released some truly awful albums since, but it was a pretty good night of pop-punk for my 16y.o. self. So many people there didn't seem to know that PWTs were a pop-punk band, having heard only Hey There Delilah. Their confusion was most amusing :D

I also bought tickets to Rise Against as I thought Anti-Flag were supporting. Anti-Flag ended up only doing the UK dates, but I gained a new favourite band out of it (can't believe I hadn't heard of RA before) so all's well that ends well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I went to see Bon Jovi in 2001 for Matchbox 20. Sprained my ankle during MB20 and had to head to first aid for 1st bit of Bon Jovi. The first aid were apologising I was missing some of Bon Jovi but I was there with a big smile (through the pain) saying I saw what I came for and wasn't too bothered about Bon Jovi.

Advertisement