Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seeking methods?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi I am interested to learn what methods do you use in job seeking and for those of you who have been employed since the recession, which method did you use. I use a mixture of recruitment websites, some networking, I've sent a few spec letters to companies I like, I'm registered with a few agencies and I went to a career's fair, so far after nine months, nothing yet but I am interested to learn if there are any methods that I have missed out on and also poll the most popular ones.

What job seeking method do you use the most? 43 votes

Recruitment websites
    0% 0 votes
    Newspapers
    44% 19 votes
    Networking using contacts or friends
    16% 7 votes
    Cold calling on spec (ringing, writing or door to door)
    11% 5 votes
    Social Networking (LinkedIn, Boards, etc)
    4% 2 votes
    Recruitment agencies
    4% 2 votes
    Career Fairs
    13% 6 votes
    Other
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

There are many jobs that aren't even advertised but rather are filled by word of mouth. My last two jobs have been found that way OP. If your at the dentist let him know your on the lookout, similarily the doctors, family, friends, associates in sports clubs etc, hell even the parish priest.. It's not the easiest thing to do and not appear desperate, but landing a job is the most important thing and putting yourself out there like this will dramatically increase your chances. Couple this with my general distrust of recruitment agencies and for me it was a no brainer. Hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Join your local GAA club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Excellent link! Great idea for a thread also. Considering the many dreadful experiences people around boards.ie are facing. I gave up on recruitment agencies a long time ago and once thought the Job sites where the best option, unfortunately some of these are monopolized by some recruitment agencies and sadly most of the Jobs advertised don't exist. Newspapers used to be top of my list but its shocking how little Jobs are now advertised in newspapers. I laugh at the independents proud statement on their Thursday supplement, now down to a miserable 6 pages where they state "All the latest Jobs", where i wonder?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

what other papers besides the indo and herald have jobs weekly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

It doesn't hurt to get your local paper as well, depending on the line of work you are searching for. It can be hit and miss, I've gone for a couple of jobs in my local paper and although I heard nothing, it all adds up.

It also might be worth going through the yellow pages or another type of business directory and sending out your CV on spec.

Advertisement