Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent trying to keep some of my money - can they?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Victor wrote: »
    And potentially be sued / evicted for not paying your rent.

doubt a landlord is going to the bother of sueing unless they had a reason like damage or unpaid bills that the deposit would not cover.

its the last months rent so you would not be evicted before the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Option 2) Use your deposit as their last months rent. Move on with your life.
    You don't get it. If you don't return the apartment back to the lanlord in the condition it was in at the start then you're going to end up in court. And you're going to lose. It's as simple as that. Withholding the rent is as good as an admission of guilt. Stick it to the man all you like but you'll get the smarmy grin wiped off your face eventually. And rest assured for some landlords that will happen sooner than you think and won't involve the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

20goto10 wrote: »
    And rest assured for some landlords that will happen sooner than you think and won't involve the courts.
    Can you clarify that a bit please, are you saying its accepted practise for some landlords to intimidate/abuse their tenants?

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Can you clarify that a bit please, are you saying its accepted practise for some landlords to intimidate/abuse their tenants?
    No accepted practic would be to sue the tenant. What I'm saying is there is a small percentage, we all know them - not registered, not paying any tax and oblivious to the rules, who will take it into thier own hands. I would not be surprised to come home one day to find the locks changed or the landlord sitting on my couch waiting to collect his rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I would not be surprised to come home one day to find the locks changed or the landlord sitting on my couch waiting to collect his rent.
    The landlord would be lucky to keep the house if he tried that stunt. The PRTB would go and has gone through little tin hitlers like that for a shortcut.

• Advertisement

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    The PRTB would go and has gone through little tin hitlers like that for a shortcut.
    PRTB will not get involved with unregistered landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes they will!

The first thing they do is serve them with a notice to register. Or else a fine or prison.

We had this with one landlord who was invading the house whenever we were out.

Our rights as tenants are unaffected by the landlord' s failure to register. And that failure can be used against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

She Devil wrote: »
    We got €200 deducted from our deposit at the of moving out because they wanted to make the place "fit" for the next tenant, I scrubbed that place on my hands and knees before I moved out, it was shining!!
    We had been in there for two years, and a further €60 because we left food in the freezer which they had to get rid of. Food was a small container of soup and frozen sausages!!!!!!!!

We didnt pursue it further because we were sick of them at the time, but I wish we had! Its scandelous that they can do this! I think its a disgrace!!

I do feel for you on this.

We moved- or rather evacuated the premises - last November. With inches of water on the floors.....

There was black mould growing overnight there.

I used a gallon bottle of bleach on the surfaces, cupboards etc and hours cleaning. And we wrote a detailled report which we sent to the agent and the landlord. With a bill for damage to our property; there had been diggers working nearby causing vibration in the old house which we warned agent and landlord would damage the foundations.

I was ill when I left and left a couple of sacks of rubbish outside which Imentioned and apologied for and said why.

We had a message via the agent that the landlord was "very upset" at the state of the place and that there was "rubbish everywhere" And that it was "very dirty".. With a flood situation of course the floor was a mess.

BUT we got the deposit back fast.

It is just a ploy;venting. If we allow it, they take the money.

Threshhold already had a fileon this as we had had a lot of trouble re privacy etc. They were great.

Still trying to get the money off him for our damaged stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Not true.

Got deposit back from them from an unreg landlord myself.

Advertisement