Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Questions on Belts

• 23-02-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

A powerlifting belt is a good thing to have if you are powerlifting.
    A weightlifting belt is a good thing to have if you are Olympic weightlifting.

Would a weightlifting belt do the job of a powerlifting belt for back squats & deadlifts?

Would a powerlifting belt obstruct doing oly lifts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

d'Oracle wrote: »
    A powerlifting belt is a good thing to have if you are powerlifting.
    A weightlifting belt is a good thing to have if you are Olympic weightlifting.

Would a weightlifting belt do the job of a powerlifting belt for back squats & deadlifts?

This is one of those questions that I have to answer with a question.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Completely, a solid Inzer-style PLing belt will be far too robust to give you the flexibility you need to oly lift.

oh and I should probably add that whatever about the argument for needing a belt in PLing I know very, very few people who train or compete in oly lifting at a belt. In fact from what I can remember at National level there's only one guy who uses a belt, and he's the Ireland number 1 and puts up very big numbers. If you're snatching double bw you might need one, otherwise nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

This is one of those questions that I have to answer with a question.

Why?

Because I saw on a website whilst looking for something else, that both are available.

I wondered if the benefits of Squatting and Deadifting with a belt could be obtained by using a weightlifting belt.

Then the other question grew out of that, because there was a good chance of getting an informed answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

I've never used or even seen a weightlifting belt, but afaik, they are more flexible than a powerlifting belt, and for squats and deadlifts you generally want something rigid

• Advertisement

Because I saw on a website whilst looking for something else, that both are available.

I wondered if the benefits of Squatting and Deadifting with a belt could be obtained by using a weightlifting belt.

Then the other question grew out of that, because there was a good chance of getting an informed answer.
    Okay.

They're both in theory for the same thing, but my question was because I wasn't sure whether you were just planning on getting something cheap and hoping it would do the job or something else!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm confused... you're hoping to get the benefit of squatting and deadlifting with a powerlifting belt by using a weightlifting belt?

Hanley wrote: »
    you're hoping to get the benefit of squatting and deadlifting with a powerlifting belt by using a weightlifting belt?

Thats why you are confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

post up your numbers as IMO they are a better indicator of whether you need a belt.

For me unless you are squatting and DL close to or over double BW i would not wear one and if you feel like you need one anywhere near 100kg on both then i would question your core strength.

On a side note I see more guys using belts to pull in a fat gut than use it properly for lifting. Guy in my guy used one the other day for one arm rows at 35kg and he must have weighed 95kg

Transform wrote: »
    post up your numbers as IMO they are a better indicator of whether you need a belt.

For me unless you are squatting and DL close to or over double BW i would not wear one and if you feel like you need one anywhere near 100kg on both then i would question your core strength.

On a side note I see more guys using belts to pull in a fat gut than use it properly for lifting. Guy in my guy used one the other day for one arm rows at 35kg and he must have weighed 95kg

Thats nice.

I don't want a belt.
    I did not, at any point, ask if I should get a belt.

I think we established this with my response to Barry.

• Advertisement

Thats nice.

I don't want a belt.

Post up your diet and do starting strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Post up your diet and do starting strength.

i dont mean to sound sarcastic or anything, but i honestly cant tell if your joking or not, because either way its a good response....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats nice.

I don't want a belt.

I was gonna say if your in Dublin I'd have a PW belt for you, if you'd been looking for one.

Its a large, 4" (10mm I think) like this one..

belt.jpg

Thats nice.

I don't want a belt.

AAAAAtJp3eMAAAAAAO6hkg.jpg

I'm confused... you're hoping to get the benefit of squatting and deadlifting with a powerlifting belt by using a weightlifting belt?

Confusion ++

Confusion ++

I was asking a question, a general question about the function of different belts. I was hoping only for an answer. This was explained in my response to Barry.

Between G'em and Podge I got solid answers and all was good.
    It all went downhill from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

AAAAAtJp3eMAAAAAAO6hkg.jpg
    exactly, just trying to be helpful

Transform wrote: »
    exactly, just trying to be helpful

Sorry and I do appreciate that.

d'Oracle olympic lifting and powerlifting are not necessarily mutually exclusive - there's major cross-over where squats are concerned. A couple of our lifters are really concentrating on their squats right now - the Russian squat program is being done by one of the guys, it's very, very demanding and he's fairly knackered, his oly lifts are still good but fatigue is a big problem atm. So in the short term it doesn't seem like it's doing much but the idea is that once his squat numbers come up the oly lifts will follow. Having said that he has a very solid base to work on with his oly lifts so he's at a place where he can afford to do this. He has a solid base to work from. Another of our female lifters has also been putting more work in with squats, not following any program per se, but it's helped her overcome a plateau she was experiencing.

In his case he's working on squats belt-less becuase his squat numebrs are lower than they should be. In her case she's working with a belt because her squat was good but had room for improving.

Soooo if your squat is as good as it could be belt-less and you would like to play with some squat training to bring up your oly numbers and would like to use a belt, cool, get a traditional soft leather weightbelt. A solid Inzer style powerlifting belt is too rigid to allow you to get the deep ATG squat that's needed for effective weightlifting.

As for its crossover to deadlifting - well, that's kind of moot, because generally weightlifters don't DL, it's too CNS taxing. Clean and snatch pulls, yes, conventional DLs, no.

Advertisement