Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero Queries ?

• 23-02-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I'm a recent owner of a HTC hero on Meteor Bill pay. It's the best phone I have ever owned lol. I'm loving all the apps and extras that come with it.
    I have a few queries regarding the phone :

I have the 1.5 version of firmware, can I download the 2.0.1 version without having to wipe the phone i.e. memory card,contacts etc

When I add a shortcut, how do I remove it again.

Can I save, as a shortcut, an excel or word file received via gmail for ease of access

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I have the 1.5 version of firmware, can I download the 2.0.1 version without having to wipe the phone i.e. memory card,contacts etc

For a 2.01/2.1 rom you'll need to do a full factory wipe at the very least but its I think its good practice to do a wipe anyway if you are changing to a different rom. XDA cooks always have instructions on what they recommend you do as part of their install instructions. If you intend to do a lot of messing with roms its best to sync as much as you can through Google. I have all contacts, home and work calenders and also two email accounts syncing so I don't need to worry about any of it. I want to also backup all this info elsewhere in the event of something happening google 'I'm looking at you China :mad:' but have not looked into it to deep as yet.

Keep finger pressed on shortcut for a few secs. A message will then come up saying you can now drag to move or remove shortcut by dragging it down over the remove icon.
    Can I save, as a shortcut, an excel or word file received via gmail for ease of access
    Best way to handle that is to get Astro from the Market if you do not have it. Create a folder on your sd card for docs, save all docs to this folder and then create a shortcut by long press on desktop => Select Add shortcut => Astro => navigate to docs folder and select relevant doc. This works with me running Modaco 3.2 rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I'm a recent owner of a HTC hero on Meteor Bill pay. It's the best phone I have ever owned lol. I'm loving all the apps and extras that come with it.
    I have a few queries regarding the phone :

if you flash a rom that comes from google/htc the phone will be wiped (the sdcard is never wiped). your contacts/cal/etc are synched with google in any case so that shouldnt be a problem.
    since there is no official 2.x for hero i assume you mean a cooked rom. in which case the rule is flashing updated version of the same rom does not necessarily wipe the phone. switching from a rom to a different one (from different chef for example) will most likely require wipe.

you should be able to use bettercut/anycut to put that type of shortcuts on the desktop.

anything you add to the desktop can be removed by dragging it at the bottom of the screen where you should see the icon of a trashcan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The official 2.1 should be available for the hero next month, without the need to root the phone. A good way to back up your data is to use wave secure, which adds loads of other cool security tools

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Cheers ...

I think I'll wait for the HTC firmware upgrade -seems to be a simpler process

Advertisement