Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New premier league rules for season 2010-11

• 23-02-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

How will your team fair and line up next season when the new rules are introduced.
    Teams will only be able to chose a squad of 18 from a list of 25 that can only be changed during the transfer window. Each panel of 25 must have 8 players of any nationality who have spent at least three years of there career in the English youth system before the age of 21.

Each panel of 25 can also be supplemented by an unlimited number of under-21's. To count as an under 21 the player must be under 21 before January just gone. ie january of the year the season starts in.

At spurs we have Bale, king, Dawson, Woodgate,jenas,bently,huddlestone, Lennon Defoe, crouch and keane who would all count. Allthough a few of them could be out come summer then there's a few under-21's aswell.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8530590.stm
    A Premier League play-off to settle the fourth and final Champions League spot was mooted last week and attracted various responses - negative and positive.

While that particular proposal continues to be debated, there will be definitely one change to the way the top flight operates next season - and it should have a major impact.

From the start of the 2010/11 campaign, all 20 clubs will have to adhere to new squad regulations.

They dictate that each club will have to select their 18 names on a team sheet from a pre-nominated squad of 25. In that list of 25, eight must be "home-grown".

The Premier League's definition of "home-grown" is a player who, while under the age of 21, spent three years in the English system.

In addition, clubs will be able to select an unlimited number of under-21 players they have registered.

The changes will not only benefit youth development but, crucially, will also force some clubs to sign several English players when the transfer window opens in the summer.

We want to try to create the best opportunity for young developed talent to have a chance of playing in the first team

Mike Foster
    Premier League general secretary

"We want to try to create the best opportunity for young developed talent to have a chance of playing in the first team and we think this will give more opportunities for academy graduates to do that," stated Mike Foster, general secretary of the Premier League.

"Clubs invest a lot of money in youth development. I think at the last calculation the average spent was about £3m per annum per club in the Premier League."

In the long term, the league believes the changes will also have a positive effect on the England national team and provide a financial benefit to those clubs operating with a limited squad size.

Foster said the clubs have been very receptive to the changes.

"Clubs are great believers in youth development," he added. "You can see that when you go up and down the country and see the great facilities and commitment that is taking place."

Foster explained that the policy was first debated last summer by all the clubs.

"We spent a day looking at youth development and ways of enhancing what already takes place," commented Foster.

"The clubs agreed in principle to this type of measure. We fine-tuned it and brought it back to the clubs in September, when they approved the new rule unanimously."

Foster confirmed the league is happy with the outcome.

"There's been a lot of noise from Fifa for the past several months for a quota system, which we've objected to because it's illegal under European law," he added.

"That pressure hasn't necessarily gone away but we wanted to focus our energies on something that would fall within the legal framework of the EU as well as encourage our successful academies."

For some clubs, these new regulations will mean a radical change in approach.

Research has shown that on the penultimate day of last season, top clubs such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool were among a of group of seven who did not have eight home-grown players on their team sheet.
    Arsenal won the FA Youth Cup last season
    Arsenal beat Liverpool to win the FA Youth Cup last season

In fact, analysis shows that Rafael Benitez's side were the worst offenders in the Premier League last season for producing home-grown talent.

Admittedly, it was not the final list but towards the end of last season Liverpool had used only 17% of their home-grown players in 2008/2009.

Relegated Middlesbrough, with Dave Parnaby at the helm of their successful academy, were top of the class with 69%, while Aston Villa and West Ham United were on 67%.

Champions Manchester United were at 42%, with Chelsea 28% and Arsenal 37%.

Arsenal, under Arsene Wenger, have been criticised in the past for not producing English talent but eight of the starting line-up that beat Liverpool in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup last season were English.

When you consider that particular crop of youngsters has been heralded as Wenger's best yet, then maybe Arsenal do not need to worry about these regulations coming into force.

Others may have a bit more work to do before August.
    Clubs must include eight home-grown players out of a squad of 25.

- A home-grown player is a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season which he turns 21)

- Changes to the squad list of 25 may be made during the period of a transfer window.

- Clubs will be able to supplement their squads with unlimited additional players under the age of 21.

- An under-21 player refers to a player under the age of 21 as at 1 January in the year in which the season concerned commences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

that'll be ok for United other than the fact the fringe young players will get less chances. Arsenal may find it a little tough but they should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Liam O wrote: »
    that'll be ok for United other than the fact the fringe young players will get less chances. Arsenal may find it a little tough but they should be ok.
    United and Arsenal will find it the easiest of the traditional top 4, imo. City will be grand too. Chelsea may have some problems, but I doubt it really, same goes for Liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea are sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We'll be fine, plenty of youth to make up the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Looking at Liverpool's squad for this year there would be only 15 senior players who wouldn't fall into either the non-homegrown or U-21 category.

Voronin and Dossena would have been non-homegrown for the first half of the season and Maxi would have replaced one of them in the transfer window. Don't think it will affect Liverpool much in the next few years with a fair few of the younger lads like to fill out spots in the squad anyway.

17 non homegrown category
    Torres
    Aquilani
    Agger
    Riera
    Cavalieri
    Aurelio
    Benayoun
    Kyrgiakos
    Rodriguez
    Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Reina
    Degen
    Skrtel

8 Homegrown players
    Gerrard
    Carragher
    Johnson
    Babel
    Spearing
    Plessis
    El Zhar
    Darby
    Kelly
    Ayala
    Pacheco

U-21 players
    Insua - homegrown at end of season
    N'gog - homegrown at end of season
    Gulacsi - homegrown at end of season
    There's more young lads who could fill this out, but these three are the ones who featured in the senior squad this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Looking at Liverpool's squad for this year there would be only 15 senior players who wouldn't fall into either the non-homegrown or U-21 category.

Voronin and Dossena would have been non-homegrown for the first half of the season and Maxi would have replaced one of them in the transfer window. Don't think it will affect Liverpool much in the next few years with a fair few of the younger lads like to fill out spots in the squad anyway.

Torres
    Aquilani
    Agger
    Riera
    Cavalieri
    Aurelio
    Benayoun
    Kyrgiakos
    Rodriguez
    Kuyt
    Masch
    Lucas
    Reina
    Degen
    Skrtel

8 Homegrown players
    Gerrard
    Carragher
    Johnson
    Babel
    Spearing
    Plessis
    El Zhar
    Darby
    Kelly
    Ayala
    Pacheco

U-21 players
    Insua - homegrown at end of season
    N'gog - homegrown at end of season
    Gulacsi - homegrown at end of season
    There's more young lads who could fill this out, but these three are the ones who featured in the senior squad this year.
    Everton should be fine with Neville, Baines, Hibbert, Osman, Rodwell, Gosling, Vaughan. We've youngsters coming through like Baxter as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

United and Arsenal will find it the easiest of the traditional top 4, imo. City will be grand too. Chelsea may have some problems, but I doubt it really, same goes for Liverpool

I'd agree with that, youth set ups in both clubs should result in it being a non-issue. Chelsea may have one or two choices to make.

cson wrote: »
    I'd agree with that, youth set ups in both clubs should result in it being a non-issue. Chelsea may have one or two choices to make.
    No they won't Chelsea are grand and will be blessed with talent who fulfil the criteria by the 11-12 season.

CHD wrote: »
    No they won't Chelsea are grand and will be blessed with talent who fulfil the criteria by the 11-12 season.

Is it not the 10-11 season though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

It is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    We'll be fine, plenty of youth to make up the squad.

Going down through the squad I think all these already qualify? Wont create too many headaches anyway.

GK
    Mannone
    Szczesny

DF
    Djourou
    Gibbs
    Campbell

MF
    Ramsey
    Wilshire
    Fabregas
    Merida

FC
    Bendtner
    Walcott

Denilson, Song, Senderos and Clichy all arrived at the age of 18 too. Think they are a few months out though, the 21 on Jan thing makes things a bit confusing.

What confuses me though is the term "youth system." Do players who arrived on professional contracts while still teenagers count, or do they have to go through the academy system?

They will be grand next year and spolied by the next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

CHD wrote: »
    They will be grand next year and spolied by the next season

With any luck... But yeah, I think we should be fine, tbh. Good crop of youngsters coming through, so I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Knew about this ages ago.....

Thanks Football Manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Villa (Current Squad, Including Players Likely To Leave
    Homegrown Players
    Luke Young
    Steve Sidwell
    Richard Dunne
    Stewart Downing
    Ashley Young
    James Milner
    Marlon Harewood
    Gabriel Agbonlahor
    Curtis Davies
    Emile Heskey
    Nigel Reo-Coker
    Stephen Warnock
    Isaiah Osbourne
    James Collins
    Andy Marshall

Non-Homegrown Players
    Brad Friedel
    Wilfred Bouma
    John Carew
    Moustapha Salifou
    Stiliyan Petrov
    Brad Guzan
    Habib Beye
    Carlos Cuellar

U21s
    Marc Albrighton
    Nathan Delfouneso
    Fabian Delph
    Andreas Weimann
    Eric Lichaj
    Barry Bannan
    Ciaran Clark
    Jonathan Hogg

itll be tight, but i think we just about scrape it :p

*edited to add in academy players who might break through - all qualify as under 21*
    Thomas Dau
    Elliott Parish
    Arsenio Halfhuid
    Harry Forrester
    Andreas Weimann
    Courtney Cameron
    Samir Carruthers
    Gary Gardner
    Andras Stieber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

What confuses me though is the term "youth system." Do players who arrived on professional contracts while still teenagers count, or do they have to go through the academy system?

A player is deemed to have gone through a clubs youth system if he has spent at least 3 full years at the club before 21st birthday.

Home Grown - being at any club the the country for 3 full years or more before 21st birthday.

If a player is loaned out to a team in a foreign country before the age of 21, this time cannot be included as time spent in the clubs youth system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So come 5pm tomorrow the managers of each club will have to have submitted their 25 man squad and it look like some players like Woodgate and Hargreves will be ommitted but at least we will know who is in our squad for the season also if a club cannot provide 8 homegrown players they will have to work with a smaller squad as in if a club has no Homegrown players they will have to work without those 8 places and have a squad of 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

For a second there I thought CHD was unbanned. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Anyone know if these 25 man squads going to be published for us all to see or whats the story??

Ian_K wrote: »
    Anyone know if these 25 man squads going to be published for us all to see or whats the story??
    I'd imagine they will bw on sky sports shortly after 5pm no reason for them to be kept a secret.

• Advertisement

Liverpool's squad

8 Homegrown players category
    1 Gerrard
    2 Carragher
    3 Johnson
    4 Cole
    5 Jones
    6 Konchesky
    7 Spearing
    8 Darby

1 Sotirios Kyrgiakos
    2 Dirk Kuyt
    3 Maximillion Rodriguez
    4 Milan Jovanovic
    5 Pepe Reina
    6 Fernando Torres
    7 Raul Meireles
    8 Daniel Agger
    9 Martin Skrtel
    10 Ryan Babel
    11 Lucas
    12 Christian Poulsen
    13 Fabio Aurelio

Itandje and Brouwer could both be named in the 17 category but given their status at the club I would be shocked.

The only ones I'd be a bit doubtful about are Spearing and Darby moreso in the English category as I could see either going on loan.

Everyone else at the club falls into the unlimited under 21 category this year so no point naming them in the other categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This is what I reckon the United squad is:

Goal Keepers

Van Der Sar
    Kuszczak
    Amos (doesn't strictly need to be registed but might 'have' to be in case we need an emergency keeper) (home grown)

Defenders

Neville (home grown)
    Brown (home grown)
    O'Shea (home grown)
    Ferdinand (home grown)
    Vidic
    Evans (home grown)
    Evra
    De Laet (may qualify as home grown, not sure on the timing)

Midfield

Valencia
    Nani
    Park
    Carrick (home grown)
    Scholes (home grown)
    Fletcher (home grown)
    Gibson (home grown)
    Giggs (home grown)
    Anderson
    Hargreaves

Forwards

Rooney (home grown)
    Owen (home grown)
    Berbatov
    Hernandez

So that is 13 home grown, 12 non home grown.

The following players can be additions to the squad, but don't need to be registered - only listing the standout more likely ones

Fabio
    Rafael
    Smalling

Obertan
    Bebe

Macheda

There would be a few others in the youth side that might have a small chance of some PL action, such as Eikrem.

Wolves' 25-man squad: Marcus Hahnemann, Wayne Hennessey, Carl Ikeme, Kevin Foley, Ronald Zubar, Richard Stearman,spacer.gif Jody Craddock, Christophe Berra, Steven Mouyokolo, George Elokobi, Stephen Ward, Jelle Van Damme, Karl Henry, David Jones, Michael Mancienne, Dave Edwards, Greg Halford, Nenad Milijas, Adlene Guedioura, Matt Jarvis, Stephen Hunt, Kevin Doyle,spacer.gifSteven Fletcher,spacer.gifSylvan Ebanks-Blake,spacer.gifMarcus Bentspacer.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

De Laet (may qualify as home grown, not sure on the timing)

By my reckoning De Laet misses out on being "home grown" by 6 days!

The rule is the player must be registered with any club affiliated to the FA (or FAW) for a period of three entire seasons prior to the end of the season which he turns 21.

De Laet turned 21 in the 09/10 season, so he needs to have been in English football for the entirety of the 07/08, 08/09 and 09/10 seasons.

According to wiki he joined Stoke on 17 August 2007. Stoke's season began 6 days earlier when they played their first league game, therefore he was not with them for the "entire season".

I suppose it depends on how strictly they enforce "enitre season". I think it would be fair and reasonable to allow anyone signed in the transfer window (i.e. up to 31 August) as being deemed to be with the team for the entire season, even though they may have missed out on a game or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

By my reckoning De Laet misses out on being "home grown" by 6 days!

The rule is the player must be registered with any club affiliated to the FA (or FAW) for a period of three entire seasons prior to the end of the season which he turns 21.

De Laet turned 21 in the 09/10 season, so he needs to have been in English football for the entirety of the 07/08, 08/09 and 09/10 seasons.

According to wiki he joined Stoke on 17 August 2007. Stoke's season began 6 days earlier when they played their first league game, therefore he was not with them for the "entire season".

I suppose it depends on how strictly they enforce "enitre season". I think it would be fair and reasonable to allow anyone signed in the transfer window (i.e. up to 31 August) as being deemed to be with the team for the entire season, even though they may have missed out on a game or two.

logically you would thinf "entire season" is defined somewhere

Advertisement