Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using windows paint to edit a pic

• 23-02-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

please can somebody explain how to do this. i've tried a dozen times to crop a part of a pic and reproduce JUST that piece.
    i do the cropping part, no problem. i then try to either cut and paste or copy and paste the "cropped" part and it disappears. a "scrap" document opens but inside that there is just a white blank space. i have tried to paste onto that but that doewsn't work either.
    please, please, please help as the "help" on windows doesn't answer what i'm trying to figure out and it's driving me barmy!
    big thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

start >> programs >> mozilla firefox/internet explorer/chrome >> google search "paint.net" or "the GIMP" >> install whichever one you choose and use that for cropping. much more powerful and will get you the desired results you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

start >> programs >> mozilla firefox/internet explorer/chrome >> google search "paint.net" or "the GIMP" >> install whichever one you choose and use that for cropping. much more powerful and will get you the desired results you want.

I +1 this. Also,

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.6.8-i686-setup.exe

And/or,

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html#download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

It's easy in Paint (XP version at least).

1. Open image in Paint.
    2. Make your selection with the "Select" rectangle tool.
    3. Edit>Copy.
    4. File>New. (Depending on how your Paint is set up, the "New" may be too large for the selection you want to insert, so just resize it to something small: Image>Stretch/Skew... and reduce stretch values to 1% for both horizontal and vertical).
    5. Edit>Paste.

If this is as advanced as you require, stay with Paint. If you'd like to experiment more, paint.NET is great, well worth the tiny download. Don't bother with the GIMP until you've at least gotten to grips with paint.NET or similar. It's powerful, but overkill for the majority of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

ok, i have followed ur instructions and edited a pic and saved it to 2 locations - a folder and on desk top. however, when i try to up-load my new pic and go into same folder/ desktop, it's not there!! yet, when i just go back from up-load qand check desk top and my folder - it's still there! seems it disappears when i try to find it when using browse for up-load! can't understand this. please help

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OrangeDagger

It sounds like your file is being saved with no extension/the wrong extension. Therefore you can see it in a normal file view but when you try to upload it, the uploader is only showing files of the correct file type (images) e.g. .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif etc.

When you go to save the new file, select the dropdown bar 'Save as type' and save as a 'jpg' file.

This sounds like it should sort it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement