Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New i7 Build (yet another one of these posts)

Options
  • 23-02-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to build myself a cheap i7 rig. I figure I can do it for ~€660. So I'm going for the lower end of the Socket 1366 i7's, the 920.

Here's what I've pretty much decided on getting:

CPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151477 - Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161061 - ASUS P6T SE
    RAM: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158578 - OCZ 6GB Gold XTC DDR3 1333MHz
    Case: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164961 - Coolermaster HAF 922
    Paste: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410 - Arctic Silver 5 (thought I'd mention it)

Delivery is £12.34 given the extra weight over the fixed £9.99 5KG shipping cost to Ireland (they charge an extra 30p per KG, which isn't bad).

Total: £576.85

I then went to http://www.xe.com to get a likely total in Euro. It came to around €661.37.

Now my real question is to do with a lack of PSU on that list. Again, I'd like to save money so I'm hoping I don't have to buy one. I currently run a Corsair TX650W, and am hoping it's good enough for this new build.

In addition to those components running above, I have a PowerColor HD4890 1GB, a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro with an external I/O box, a Yamaha DS2416 DSP Factory PCI card with an internal I/O 5.25" bay, a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB SATA drive, and 2 Western Digital 500GB 7,200RPM IDE drives.

Do you think my 650W PSU will be adequate? If so, would I have a decent amount of headroom for unknown whatevers that might come up or in to use? I might want to overclock, but just a little. I don't think going to 4.0GHz is on the cards, maybe somewhere in the region of the low 3GHz.

Many thanks, everyone!

NOTE: I went to http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power and filled in the info as accurately as possible (I also accounted for an overclock to 3.0GHz and I gave a 30% capacitor aging value), and that calculator reckons I'd need a 580W PSU. I never trust those things, which is why I came here. I only used to to get an regional idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

TX650 sounds fine. Even OCing won't put it under that much pressure.

Why LGA1366 though? i7-860 is a very nice piece of kit and IIRC has both better clock speed and better Turbo Mode. The LGA1366 solution is a lot hotter, pricier (thanks to the cost of triple-channel) and more energy-inefficient. It only pulls ahead of LGA1156 in heavy-duty Photoshop/video/encoding work and even then only if OCd high enough for the triple-channel to make an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Solitaire wrote: »
    TX650 sounds fine. Even OCing won't put it under that much pressure.

Why LGA1366 though? i7-860 is a very nice piece of kit and IIRC has both better clock speed and better Turbo Mode. The LGA1366 solution is a lot hotter, pricier (thanks to the cost of triple-channel) and more energy-inefficient. It only pulls ahead of LGA1156 in heavy-duty Photoshop/video/encoding work and even then only if OCd high enough for the triple-channel to make an impact.
    Thanks Solitaire for your reply.

I do intend for the rig to be used for media encoding and Photoshop. But wouldn't going with a Socket 1366 board mean future-proofing to some degree over a Socket 1156? I hear the i9's will be using Socket 1366. I'm not willing to buy another motherboard to dispose of it within a year or two again. The one I got for my current rig didn't work out, I got it in October 2008. So I replaced it in October 2009 when I got a few pennies together. I want this build to be a solid one that can last for years with the aim to upgrade it piece-by-piece, while still using a base/motherboard that will last through it all quite decently.

So if I went ahead with the i7, my PSU would be up to the challenge? If that's what you're saying, then that's great.

Though, I am looking into the i5, because you have given me something to think about despite what I've said above.

Sorry, one more quick question. The RAM I have chosen runs at 1.65v. I have read that 1.65v is the recommended limit by Intel for i7 processors, and that 1.5v is the way to go. Is there any truth to this?

Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Sorry, one more quick question. The RAM I have chosen runs at 1.65v. I have read that 1.65v is the recommended limit by Intel for i7 processors, and that 1.5v is the way to go. Is there any truth to this?

The Asus P6T first edition will only let you run the ram at even numbered volts so i presume the Se will be the same.I have very similar ram and its happy running at 1.64v so no need to go higher as your not going to be going to far on your overclock.
    Yes lower is better (if its stable) and some ram will run with lower volts than its specs but you will only know after trying it yourself with your setup.

game4it70 wrote: »
    The Asus P6T first edition will only let you run the ram at even numbered volts so i presume the Se will be the same.I have very similar ram and its happy running at 1.64v so no need to go higher as your not going to be going to far on your overclock.
    Yes lower is better (if its stable) and some ram will run with lower volts than its specs but you will only know after trying it yourself with your setup.
    So it would have to run at 1.6v or 1.7v (or indeed 1.5v)? The BIOS won't allow selection to 2 decimal places? That oughta suck! My current XMS2 sticks I have set to 1.9v on my Core2Duo rig, I hear different stores about them being 1.8v and 1.9v, so I opted for the latter, and of course you cannot go to 2 decimal places in my current BIOS for my ASUS P5Q SE board. I assumed with the huge number of 1.65v sticks out there, that all 1366 boards would allow for that.

I'm thinking of getting http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152637 instead though as they're rated at 1.5v, but it's a tad more expensive.

Many thanks for your reply, I'm actually looking to order tomorrow. Damn I'm excited (sad, eh?)!

So it would have to run at 1.6v or 1.7v (or indeed 1.5v)? The BIOS won't allow selection to 2 decimal places? That oughta suck!

I'm thinking of getting http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152637 instead though as they're rated at 1.5v, but it's a tad more expensive.

Sorry i wasnt very clear,the volts go up in .02's so if you want to run it as close to 1.65v as you could your choices would be 1.64 or 1.66v.

If you where looking to do some serious overclocking having some headroom to raise the volts that would be great but that ram is only 1333mhz so kinda defeats the purpose as for £2 less you can get this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152640

Either way its not essential to get ram that runs @ 1.5v and if i was to pick from e-buyer i would go for this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166998
    as its cheaper and faster while still being a good brand.

Hehe i just saw you edit,
    Your welcome and no your not sad as lots of us get the same way when ordering new toys;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I do intend for the rig to be used for media encoding and Photoshop. But wouldn't going with a Socket 1366 board mean future-proofing to some degree over a Socket 1156? I hear the i9's will be using Socket 1366.
    Nobody knows which socket will be discontinued first, but yeah i9 6 core is on socket 1366 but compatibility with current boards isint guaranteed, i know my Gigabyte UD5 will support it with an updated bios, but i dont know about that specific Asus P6T SE.
    So if I went ahead with the i7, my PSU would be up to the challenge? If that's what you're saying, then that's great.
    Yes it will be fine, but yeah, maybe dont go 4Ghz, the TPD is supposed to be huge on full load at 4Ghz, around 250W lol. The stock cooler should get it to 3.3Ghz though and you should be fine with your PSU with that.
    Though, I am looking into the i5, because you have given me something to think about despite what I've said above.
    Go for whatever is cheapest, which ever one you go with definately overclock it especially for video encoding. Video encoding is a nightmare for any cpu, my 920@4Ghz still takes around 25-40 mins( depending on how many passes etc. ) for a full movie DVD vobs->avi or mpeg. I would go i7 in your case tbh for video encoding, HOWEVER video card encoding with Nvidias CUDA or ATI's AVIVO can be a hell of a lot faster( my 5850 overclocked can do a movie in ~16 mins DVD VOB->avi )

For video encoding id actually consider going crossfire or SLI rather than a new CPU, but again it depends on what you are encoding.
    Its been answered above since i started replying and drifted off surfing lol, but you can get ram that runs at 1.5v if its the same price id go for that for the simple reason that it will be cooler.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    For video encoding id actually consider going crossfire or SLI rather than a new CPU, but again it depends on what you are encoding.

Its been answered above since i started replying and drifted off surfing lol, but you can get ram that runs at 1.5v if its the same price id go for that for the simple reason that it will be cooler.
    No can do on the Crossfire/SLI, my current board has only one PCI-E x16 slot.

The 1.5v stuff I found is about £13 more expensive, but I think I'm going to be safe and fork out for it.

I've never encoded with my video card before, but normally I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and encode using the Adobe Media Encoder (usually H.264) or in Adobe Encore in MPEG-2 for DVD's.

No can do on the Crossfire/SLI, my current board has only one PCI-E x16 slot.

The 1.5v stuff I found is about £13 more expensive, but I think I'm going to be safe and fork out for it.

I've never encoded with my video card before, but normally I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and encode using the Adobe Media Encoder (usually H.264) or in Adobe Encore in MPEG-2 for DVD's.
    well i kinda ment if you go i7, then you can have tri SLI or tri crossfire lol, ATI's AVIVO needs a decent cpu also as it doesnt do it all on the gpu.

You could download ATI's AVIVO and try CyberLink Media Espresso( i think erm you need the full version for gpu processing, but you could see if its any faster running on your 4890 than your current cpu ). Its just something i mentioned as an option, since i had a dual core up until last May i went quad for video encoding, but it was still too slow with a Q9550@4Ghz, and still its too slow with this rig apart from when i use the gpu to encode. As i have over 100DVD's i want to convert for my media centre.

well i kinda ment if you go i7, then you can have tri SLI or tri crossfire lol, ATI's AVIVO needs a decent cpu also as it doesnt do it all on the gpu.

You could download ATI's AVIVO and try CyberLink Media Espresso( i think erm you need the full version for gpu processing, but you could see if its any faster running on your 4890 than your current cpu ). Its just something i mentioned as an option, since i had a dual core up until last May i went quad for video encoding, but it was still too slow with a Q9550@4Ghz, and still its too slow with this rig apart from when i use the gpu to encode. As i have over 100DVD's i want to convert for my media centre.
    I haven't bought many DVD's lately and I can't remember where I left my modest collection from time's past. I think my bro added them to his collection. :D

I generally download my movies...I mean, I generally acquire my movies virtually. :P

My encoding work is mainly for college, as I'm doing an Honors Degree in a multimedia course, which has some emphasis on filmmaking and motion graphics (the latter will be taught next year - though I was thinking of self-learning to get a head-start).

But what I'm really looking forward to trying first off is playing GTA IV! It was somewhat torture playing it on my current rig, as frames would drop to as low as 20 in some parts of the city but only go as high as 50 in other parts. It's an CPU intensive game, and they recommend a Core2Quad at least for it. At present, my 4890 isn't the game's bottleneck.

Thanks for your two replies, I'll add another thanks thanks onto the second post, it's very much appreciated.

I think I'm sold on the i7 920 rig with the XMS3 1.5v memory. What's killing me now is whether to get the P6T SE or the P6T. I was talking about future-proofing my PC a few posts ago, and I'm not sure if I'll want/need to go Nvidia SLI at some stage, and I'm not too keen on limiting that with the SE. But then again, on the other hand, I don't know if I will want/need to go SLI at all, and the SE will save me a few bucks today. Oh, the agony!

No probs at all dude, i know this is 1.6v ram, but Geil ram is one of the best( if not the best ) for overclocking with i7, its also faster in both speed and timings, 1600Mhz as opposed to the 1333 that you posted above, its also 8-8-8-24. - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-090-GL&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1389

lol, i aquire movies also for the simple fact that i cant be arsed encoding all my movies.

The college work sounds interesting, the 6Gig of ram will definately come in handy for that as well as the extra speed. I like to mess around in Blender and photoshop but never do anything productive lol.

Yeah for GTA IV that rig will destroy it, its absolute junk with a dual core, my old E6400@3.55Ghz would manage 33FPS average, dropping to 17 in places lol, its a 360 port so needs 3 cores minimum, my 920@4Ghz with an Nvidia 260 card got the following in benchies for GTA IV:
    Average 66FPS, min 42FPS( rarely ever drops this low ) and max 80-90 FPS with these settings:
    Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
    Texture Quality: High
    Texture Filter Quality: Very High
    View Distance: 31
    Detail Distance: 70

GTA IV does benefit from an overclock though but at stock should averate at least 50FPS. Its a different game when the FPS are good.

Whats the price difference with the P6T and the P6T SE? personally i absolutly hate being cornered with one manufacturer, ive never SLI'd or Crossfire'd before but only because i didnt have a mobo that i could dual card with, also SLI and Crossfire performance is so much better in the past 2 years that its a really good option now finally, i was going to finally SLI last November but got a 5850 for 100euro + my nvidia 260 so just went with that.

• Advertisement

No probs at all dude, i know this is 1.6v ram, but Geil ram is one of the best( if not the best ) for overclocking with i7, its also faster in both speed and timings, 1600Mhz as opposed to the 1333 that you posted above, its also 8-8-8-24. - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-090-GL&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1389

lol, i aquire movies also for the simple fact that i cant be arsed encoding all my movies.

The college work sounds interesting, the 6Gig of ram will definately come in handy for that as well as the extra speed. I like to mess around in Blender and photoshop but never do anything productive lol.

Yeah for GTA IV that rig will destroy it, its absolute junk with a dual core, my old E6400@3.55Ghz would manage 33FPS average, dropping to 17 in places lol, its a 360 port so needs 3 cores minimum, my 920@4Ghz with an Nvidia 260 card got the following in benchies for GTA IV:
    Average 66FPS, min 42FPS( rarely ever drops this low ) and max 80-90 FPS with these settings:
    Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
    Texture Quality: High
    Texture Filter Quality: Very High
    View Distance: 31
    Detail Distance: 70

GTA IV does benefit from an overclock though but at stock should averate at least 50FPS. Its a different game when the FPS are good.

Whats the price difference with the P6T and the P6T SE? personally i absolutly hate being cornered with one manufacturer, ive never SLI'd or Crossfire'd before but only because i didnt have a mobo that i could dual card with, also SLI and Crossfire performance is so much better in the past 2 years that its a really good option now finally, i was going to finally SLI last November but got a 5850 for 100euro + my nvidia 260 so just went with that.

Those benchmarks look very encouraging! I can't wait...

The price difference on Ebuyer is between £22-32, as there's one EXDISPLAY in-stock that I'm thinking of getting for just £22 extra.

Right now, I'm running only a 19" monitor at 1280x1024@75Hz. That will get upgraded when I next have the cash for it, where I'll use my current 19" as a second monitor (need to clear desk space for that too!!!). That also goes for buying a second graphics card, it's all about the money first (desk space second). Being a student is never easy. :P

Though my 4890 isn't a bad ol' yoke at all at all. I only got it in December, so I'm not looking to replace it just yet. You certainly got a sweet-ass deal out of that 5850, ya lucky fecker! Why use the 260 if you've got a 5850 going handy, or is it two different rigs you're running them in?

Oh, about the RAM you suggested. I've heard of Geil, they are certainly high-end, but there are two concerns. The extra cost in shipping from another company, and the lack of being on the QVL of the P6T. I know the QVL isn't the gospel, but I've read about the woes of some memory only showing up as 4GB in the BIOS (maybe a BIOS flash update would fix it, or maybe it won't), or being shown as running at a slower clock speed (which I'm sure can be set right manually in the BIOS, for the most part). How much is the shipping from Overclockers to Ireland?

EDIT: The Geil sticks come to £154.65 inc. shipping to Ireland at £10.67.

Right now, I'm running only a 19" monitor at 1280x1024@75Hz. That will get upgraded when I next have the cash for it, where I'll use my current 19" as a second monitor (need to clear desk space for that too!!!). That also goes for buying a second graphics card, it's all about the money first (desk space second). Being a student is never easy. :P
    lol, ahh students have a great life :P
    Be warned this might happen to you, i had 1 spare screen then this happened lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM

But definately a big screen is a must, my 22" cost me about 450euro 5 years ago, expensive at the time, but not when you have it for so long and displays are quite cheap now, but yeah students have better things to spend cash on lol
    Though my 4890 isn't a bad ol' yoke at all at all. I only got it in December, so I'm not looking to replace it just yet. You certainly got a sweet-ass deal out of that 5850, ya lucky fecker! Why use the 260 if you've got a 5850 going handy, or is it two different rigs you're running them in?
    Ahh yeah the 4890 is a great card, especially @1280x1024. An tbh theres no games out there other than Crysis or Warhead and maybe the Stalker games what owuld need any more grunt even at 1680x1050.
    Nah dont have the 260 any longer, swapped it and put 100 euro on top for this 5850, really had no need for a new card just wanted new toys lol. I have an 8800GT in this rig for the 3rd screen and for Nvidia Physx, and my other media centre has an 8800GT in it( hey theyre cheap as chips lol )

Oh, about the RAM you suggested. I've heard of Geil, they are certainly high-end, but there are two concerns. The extra cost in shipping from another company, and the lack of being on the QVL of the P6T. I know the QVL isn't the gospel, but I've read about the woes of some memory only showing up as 4GB in the BIOS (maybe a BIOS flash update would fix it, or maybe it won't), or being shown as running at a slower clock speed (which I'm sure can be set right manually in the BIOS, for the most part). How much is the shipping from Overclockers to Ireland?

EDIT: The Geil sticks come to £154.65 inc. shipping to Ireland at £10.67.
    I never bother with the QVL tbh, the only issue i am aware with for i7 is that when it came out and using all 6 slots @1600 that not all the ram was detected( because intels spec is 1333 ), i dont know if its still an issue or not with the latest bioses though, im only using 3 slots but i see loads around the forums using all 6 slots. You can set the ram speed in the BIOS anyway. I have 2 mates with 6 gig 1600 each, none have issues with an Asus P6T and the other guy has a Gigabyte UD5.

lol, ahh students have a great life :P
    Be warned this might happen to you, i had 1 spare screen then this happened lol - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM

But definately a big screen is a must, my 22" cost me about 450euro 5 years ago, expensive at the time, but not when you have it for so long and displays are quite cheap now, but yeah students have better things to spend cash on lol

Ahh yeah the 4890 is a great card, especially @1280x1024. An tbh theres no games out there other than Crysis or Warhead and maybe the Stalker games what owuld need any more grunt even at 1680x1050.
    Nah dont have the 260 any longer, swapped it and put 100 euro on top for this 5850, really had no need for a new card just wanted new toys lol. I have an 8800GT in this rig for the 3rd screen and for Nvidia Physx, and my other media centre has an 8800GT in it( hey theyre cheap as chips lol )

I never bother with the QVL tbh, the only issue i am aware with for i7 is that when it came out and using all 6 slots @1600 that not all the ram was detected( because intels spec is 1333 ), i dont know if its still an issue or not with the latest bioses though, im only using 3 slots but i see loads around the forums using all 6 slots. You can set the ram speed in the BIOS anyway. I have 2 mates with 6 gig 1600 each, none have issues with an Asus P6T and the other guy has a Gigabyte UD5.
    Ha, the LG Flatron on the left, the 19" yoke. I got that one. :D

Soundage for all the advice. I normally go this alone but I felt the call to post here and get people's insight.

I'll make a decision on the RAM in the morning and I'll post back once I've ordered it, and again once I've built it next week. But for now, I must sleep or I'll never wake up!

Thanks again.

I decided to go with the Corsair i7 6GB kit running at DDR3 1600MHz at 1.65v.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152640

The order was placed this afternoon, and the "Goods Allocated" status was put on the order when I arrived home an hour ago. Then, half an hour ago, I got an email saying it was cancelled!
    Ebuyer wrote:
    Your order has been cancelled for one of the following reasons:

1. You have requested the order to be cancelled.
    2. The item(s) you have ordered are no longer available or have been discontinued.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. If you still require the order, please reorder the goods online.

Please note; if payment has been taken for your cancelled order, we will refund the money as soon as possible. The refund will take up to three working days to clear in your bank account.

All the items are still in stock, and the goods WERE allocated all from one warehouse up to 30 minutes ago, and I certainly didn't cancel it. I've sent them an eNote asking for an explanation, so it better be good, or heads are going to roll! To add more misery to it, the money was taken within the last hour too (it wasn't taken when I checked at around 6). Very strange stuff altogether.

Damn dude, thats a pain in the nuts, id even ring them tomorrow morning if you've not had a response before that, especially when they've taken the money.

I'm going to check for replies in the morning at around 9, and then I will ring them if they don't reply / sort it out. The one thing about Ebuyer that seems consistent, besides the low prices, is the dire lack of communication between them and the customer when something changes or goes wrong. I don't think I've ever had a seamless order with them and you always have to chase them for any half-decent explanation. Though, I thought I had it done right this time, and there would be no problems. Evidently not. :mad:

yeah i tried ordering stuff off them over 2 years ago, the zip code they gave as generic for ireland wouldnt work, i emailed them, still havnt got a reply, wouldnt mind i was buying a load of stuff for a media rig at the time so would have been lucrative for them.

I hate overclockers.co.uk too, tekheads.co.uk were the absolute best, but i dont think they deliver to ireland anymore :(, absolutely stunning support, including me blowing a mobo, getting fed up with that type of mobo, putting in an RMA, buying a completely different mobo and asking them to credit me back the amout for the RMA'd mobo.

tekheads.co.uk were the absolute best, but i dont think they deliver to ireland anymore :(, absolutely stunning support, including me blowing a mobo, getting fed up with that type of mobo, putting in an RMA, buying a completely different mobo and asking them to credit me back the amout for the RMA'd mobo.

Are you the reason they don't ship to Ireland anymore? :confused:lol.gif

Solitaire wrote: »
    Are you the reason they don't ship to Ireland anymore? :confused:lol.gif
    lol, er, em, well i dont think it helped :D

Finally got the parts ordered today after a three-day wait for the cancelled order's refund money to clear. The cancelled order was because of Google, as I used Google Checkout and failed their fraud check because my Ebuyer site account's name was not a match for the Google Checkout name. So failing a fraud check, they still took the money and decided to give it back a half an hour later, leaving a clearing period for me to be able to touch it again. Excellent logic there!

I decided to use the Ebuyer checkout for this second try, with a brand-spanking new account in the correct name and address on the debit card used. Worked perfectly this time!

Here's the final order:

Ebuyer-Order-Feb-2010_thumb.png

It's coming on Thursday. Can't feckin' wait!

• Advertisement

glad you got it sorted, ohhh and GTA IV Ballad Of Gay Tony + The Lost And The Damned is out in a few weeks :)

Let us know how ya get on with the build

glad you got it sorted, ohhh and GTA IV Ballad Of Gay Tony + The Lost And The Damned is out in a few weeks :)

Let us know how ya get on with the build
    Oh, I've been waiting for those since the news came out... Hell, since December when Rockstar made a patch update to IV with the DLC Achievements was the first major clue that it was going to happen. :D

I'll have it done on Thursday, all going to plan. Let's hope nothing goes wrong! :)

Thanks man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Nice build. But out of interest, what made you choose the X58 and 920 instead of the 860 and p55a combo?

Nice build. But out of interest, what made you choose the X58 and 920 instead of the 860 and p55a combo?
    It might sound silly, but future-proofing. Someday the better XE i7's will come down in price, and it's also possible that the i9's will work with this board (perhaps that might be the case, but I decided to gamble on it). All in all, it was a gut feeling that it was the better option. I weight out the advice given to me in this thread to go the LGA-1156 route, but I just didn't feel it!

That's it really. When it's my own rig, I trust my gut. I'm very practical when it comes to everything outside of own needs. It goes from past experience when I skimmed on a motherboard to save a few bucks, despite my gut feeling. I ended up spending more on a better board as a result of that. :O

(I can smell the disgust amongst ye! :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alexco

DECEiFER

Can you please tell me how to get around this stupid Zip Code thing on the Ebuyer site when registering an account.

Do i need to write something specific in this space for Ireland ???
    Confused !!! :(

I tried to order something directly with my credit card but gave up in the end.
    I just dont want the hassle of Google checkout which in itself seems to cause confusion.

Thanks
    Alex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The new i7 930 was launched on Monday, it's a direct replacement for the 920 so will be selling for the same price but it a faster chip.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/01/intel-core-i7-930-cpu-review/1
    Hi,

I'm looking to build myself a cheap i7 rig. I figure I can do it for ~€660. So I'm going for the lower end of the Socket 1366 i7's, the 920.

Here's what I've pretty much decided on getting:

CPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151477 - Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161061 - ASUS P6T SE
    RAM: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158578 - OCZ 6GB Gold XTC DDR3 1333MHz
    Case: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164961 - Coolermaster HAF 922
    Paste: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126410 - Arctic Silver 5 (thought I'd mention it)

Delivery is £12.34 given the extra weight over the fixed £9.99 5KG shipping cost to Ireland (they charge an extra 30p per KG, which isn't bad).

Total: £576.85

I then went to http://www.xe.com to get a likely total in Euro. It came to around €661.37.

Now my real question is to do with a lack of PSU on that list. Again, I'd like to save money so I'm hoping I don't have to buy one. I currently run a Corsair TX650W, and am hoping it's good enough for this new build.

In addition to those components running above, I have a PowerColor HD4890 1GB, a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro with an external I/O box, a Yamaha DS2416 DSP Factory PCI card with an internal I/O 5.25" bay, a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB SATA drive, and 2 Western Digital 500GB 7,200RPM IDE drives.

Do you think my 650W PSU will be adequate? If so, would I have a decent amount of headroom for unknown whatevers that might come up or in to use? I might want to overclock, but just a little. I don't think going to 4.0GHz is on the cards, maybe somewhere in the region of the low 3GHz.

Many thanks, everyone!

NOTE: I went to http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power and filled in the info as accurately as possible (I also accounted for an overclock to 3.0GHz and I gave a 30% capacitor aging value), and that calculator reckons I'd need a 580W PSU. I never trust those things, which is why I came here. I only used to to get an regional idea.

Alexco wrote: »
    DECEiFER

Can you please tell me how to get around this stupid Zip Code thing on the Ebuyer site when registering an account.

Do i need to write something specific in this space for Ireland ???
    Confused !!! :(

I tried to order something directly with my credit card but gave up in the end.
    I just dont want the hassle of Google checkout which in itself seems to cause confusion.

Thanks
    Alex.

REP 123 is what you use for postcode as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alexco

game4it70 wrote: »
    REP 123 is what you use for postcode as far as i know.

Thanks Game4it70

After a few attempts I managed to get the Ebuyer site to accept that post code.

Must be one of the worst ever sites I tried to set up an account on. :mad:

It might sound silly, but future-proofing. Someday the better XE i7's will come down in price, and it's also possible that the i9's will work with this board (perhaps that might be the case, but I decided to gamble on it). All in all, it was a gut feeling that it was the better option. I weight out the advice given to me in this thread to go the LGA-1156 route, but I just didn't feel it!

That's it really. When it's my own rig, I trust my gut. I'm very practical when it comes to everything outside of own needs. It goes from past experience when I skimmed on a motherboard to save a few bucks, despite my gut feeling. I ended up spending more on a better board as a result of that. :O

(I can smell the disgust amongst ye! :P)
    Well sandy bridge is socket 1155 and unconfirmed if it will work on socket 1156 or not, whether there will be a socket 1366 is unknown yet though. Id imagine both sockets will keep going in some form or other.

I would still bet on 1366 being a better current choice for the simple reason that its mainly for servers and the new 6 core is 1366, thats my gut feeling but will cause a stir :)
    The new i7 930 was launched on Monday, it's a direct replacement for the 920 so will be selling for the same price but it a faster chip.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/01/intel-core-i7-930-cpu-review/1
    Its quite a disappointing chip, its been out in austrailia for 2 weeks now, overclock is the same as for 920, as are temps and volts, it does have a slight advantage in synthetic benchies though but the difference is barely noticable in games. I would only get it if it was 10-15euro more than a 920. The x22 multiplier is really bad and useless for overclocking beyond ~3.3Ghz

• Advertisement

AFAIK they're supposed to be just a hair faster, a hair better-binned and a hair better on average OC (more units exceeding 4.3GHz stable). In return they cost about the same, although retailers will keep the prices raised while they shift their existing i7-920 inventories :rolleyes:

Advertisement