Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easy Electric Guitar Tabs for beginners

• 23-02-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I just thought there should be a thread here for beginners by beginners.

My first contribution is

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Excellent song and very easy to learn, even the solo is quite easy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/n/nirvana/smells_like_teen_spirit_ver3_tab.htm

:cool:

Free free to add other easy tunes you know of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Tabs kill off ability to learn from ear, if you can learn songs from ear soon enough you'll be able to play things you hear in your own head just like the pros do.

Place two guitar players in a room, one who's learned from tabs the other from ear, ask both to play something from improvisation, very easy to tell difference between the two, one of the players might not even be able to play at all.

Tabs have their use, as a last resort a tab can be looked over to give clues as to whats happening but only if really stuck after trying to learn from ear, if at all possible avoid internet tabs 99.9% of them are wrong.

The only tab I'll ever look at is directly from a paid music book which a professional has transposed guitar playing by soloing actual studio guitar tracks.

This is how I see things but each to their own I guess, if you look back a few years their was a wealth of talented guitar players who are still listened to today, how many talented guitar players are coming out today? will any of those be listened to in 10 / 20 / 30 years? Doubt it.

Back in the day the only way to learn was to listen, if you really want to get good at playing try to learn songs from ear only, at first its hard but in time it comes fairly easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Typical!! I try to start a thread so that guitar beginners can share some easy-to-play tunes in tab form and some "expert" comes along and tries to sabotage it.
    :mad::mad:

This thread is for sharing tabs and nothing else! So unless you have something useful to add... clear off!!

Back on topic...

Little Lover by AC/DC.

A nice little bluesy track from their High Voltage album. I haven't tried the solo yet but the rest of it is quite easy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/ac_dc/little_lover_tab.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

lmao... you tell 'em... anwyays heres my contribution

steve vai - theres a fire in the house

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1910555

Yea no bother, don't mind me dunno what I was thinking.

I had a quick go at little lover, stuck on first two bars how are you playing them can you describe it? I'm playing what I see on the tab but it doesn't sound right, any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

deman wrote: »
    Typical!! I try to start a thread so that guitar beginners can share some easy-to-play tunes in tab form and some "expert" comes along and tries to sabotage it.
    :mad::mad:

This thread is for sharing tabs and nothing else! So unless you have something useful to add... clear off!!

Back on topic...

Little Lover by AC/DC.

A nice little bluesy track from their High Voltage album. I haven't tried the solo yet but the rest of it is quite easy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/ac_dc/little_lover_tab.htm

He's right though man. Tabs are fine as a short cut, or when you're starting out and just want to be able to play something close to the song for fun. But learning to play by ear, even in conjunction with internet tabs will be much more beneficial, to your overall ability or just in regards to playing the song you want to play properly. I learned November Rain from tabs online, I checked 3 of the highest rated tabs on the best sites and they were all the same, so I figured they must be right (never occured to me that they were just copies of the one tab from one site). They sounded pretty good when I played them, it was only when a mate of mine pointed out that I played it strangely, that I went back and through leanring it by ear (I'm still not that great at transcribing from ear, cause I spent so long rellying totally on on-line tabs, and only now am re-teaching myself) and from actually watching Slash play it, and working from a proper tab book, that I realised how wrong the tabs had it and how wrong I'd been playing it for months. Sounds a million times better now, and is also easier to play than the way I'd been playing it previously.

Just so Deman doesn't shout at me though.

Kasmir - Led Zeplin

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/kashmir_ver3_tab.htm

strobe wrote: »
    He's right though man. Tabs are fine as a short cut, or when you're starting out and just want to be able to play something close to the song for fun. But learning to play by ear, even in conjunction with internet tabs will be much more beneficial, to your overall ability or just in regards to playing the song you want to play properly. I learned November Rain from tabs online, I checked 3 of the highest rated tabs on the best sites and they were all the same, so I figured they must be right (never occured to me that they were just copies of the one tab from one site). They sounded pretty good when I played them, it was only when a mate of mine pointed out that I played it strangely, that I went back and through leanring it by ear (I'm still not that great at transcribing from ear, cause I spent so long rellying totally on on-line tabs, and only now am re-teaching myself) and from actually watching Slash play it, and working from a proper tab book, that I realised how wrong the tabs had it and how wrong I'd been playing it for months. Sounds a million times better now, and is also easier to play than the way I'd been playing it previously.

Just so Deman doesn't shout at me though.

Kasmir - Led Zeplin

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/kashmir_ver3_tab.htm

Cheers Strobe, your right in all you say. I held off giving alternative improvement suggestions due Demans response. I had a quick look at the song he suggested to learn (AC DC one), looked at tab and listened to song, without even holding a guitar in my hand I could tell the tab was wrong compared to what I was hearing, It only took about 30 seconds to realize.

For the craic I asked Deman how he was playing the song hopefully to catch him out, learn a lesson and all that but he never came back.

Had I not of started learning from ear I would never of noticed the mistake.

The problem you faced is similar to many who use tab, the only time thy find out they are playing wrong is when someone else points it out, normally at worst possible time, during gig or band rehearsal.

When your alone playing along with tabs etc you can get away with a lot, when your left in a live situation with a band you cant really get away with anything.

Tabs are great as a reference, I sometimes find myself scanning over the odd one or two but really its in the best interest for people to learn from ear. Mix it up with ear and tab, use ear for the easy stuff, tab for the hard parts but word of caution, the harder the part the worse the tab.

I'm no SRV, I only took to guitar a few years ago, I was a drummer. I'm at the stage now where I cant find a song out there in the style of music I like that I cant play, Its got to the stage now where I find myself creating my own stuff to keep me interested, I cant seem to find a challenge through learning songs any more.

Not trying to big up myself or be cocky I've still loads more to learn but I belive I've got to a good standard of playing fairly quick, mostly due to,

Being left handed playing right handed,
    Practicing regular,
    Quality Guitar / Equipment,
    Learning songs by ear,

I used to record tracks onto a digital recorder and loop sections of song until I could play it, then moved up to listening and playing without looping too much, now I hardly ever take out digital recorder.

A new Jimi Hendrix track just came out, (re vamped version of an old song) I had a listen to it a few times on youtube, I planned on going back to listen with guitar in hand only to find out sony removed song. At the moment I cant find the track but from what I have in memory from sound of song after listening to it days ago, I've started to play it, verse parts and chorus chords, forget the solo, no need in learning blues solos note by note, all thats needed is a few key notes / bends along with solo fret positions.

No way will tabs help bring on this so try as much as possible to listen over reading.

Wouldn't mind posting up a few links to tabs but no idea of a song at moment. If I happen to find one, I'll post one.

Advertisement