Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a good garage in Kildare/Dublin

• 23-02-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I'm just looking for a garage that'll do a service on my Virago 125. There's a local guy, but I've heard conflicting reports.
    Who do you bring your bikes to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

why dont you do it yourself and learn a bit obout your bike wile your at it,,its not that hard realy to change a sparkplug oil and filter and tighten a chain,it will save you money for beer,ya know the jobs have been done right and you'll get that lil warm feeling of acomplishment of actualy doing someting right for a change,,if you dont have any tools tho that could be another matter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I used to get servicing done in town but now do most of it myself except for the front brake pads, the front calipers on the Bros have a habit of binding when you replace the pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do it yourself, nothing too complicated on your bike.
    Buy a Haynes manual or do a google search for diagrams etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

OK, didn't realise most people went for the DIY option.

I've to replace one of the seals in the front forks. Is it easy to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Hi there,
    youre dead right. Find a good mechanic that you trust and stick with them.
    I have a car mechanic that I go to with everything (except the vvv basic stuff)

I would defo recommend you do your own service, oil change, filters etc, but I wouldnt mess around with stuff like forks. If you dont reassemble them perfectly you could get into trouble.

To answer your question, The Gem Workshop in Ranelagh. Theyve a great rep, and well deserved too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

LD 50 wrote: »
    OK, didn't realise most people went for the DIY option.

I've to replace one of the seals in the front forks. Is it easy to do?
    That's when it starts getting a bit more complex... Forks are actually easy to service but I hate messing with them so I pay for somebody else to do it instead!

If you're going to replace the seals it's probably because you had a leak. And if you had a leak your oil level is probably not perfect. And your oil is probably a good few years old. So I'd go to a mechanic!

I recommend:

Cotter's Motorcycles on Ballymount Road, Dublin 12
    Scotts Bikes in Harolds Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

That's when it starts getting a bit more complex... Forks are actually easy to service but I hate messing with them so I pay for somebody else to do it instead!

If you're going to replace the seals it's probably because you had a leak. And if you had a leak your oil level is probably not perfect. And your oil is probably a good few years old. So I'd go to a mechanic!

I recommend:

Cotter's Motorcycles on Ballymount Road, Dublin 12
    Scotts Bikes in Harolds Cross

good advice as above.

I recommend a good mechanic : Emo Hughes #2, a good real road racer and can do anything with bikes.
    Phone : 0863408252.

Thanks guys. Oil changes and such I could do myself, but its the busted seal that I need fixed, which is leaking, which is how my instructor noticed it. So I though I might aswell get it serviced while its in the shop.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If your looking for someone in Kildare i will recommend andys.
    Its listed as the currage but its more between kilcullen and athy, tis only 5 mins from the M9 athy turn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

I wouldn't recommend Cotters or Emo for servicing.. just my experience. Cotters are great for buying cheap gear though.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    If your looking for someone in Kildare i will recommend andys.
    Its listed as the currage but its more between kilcullen and athy, tis only 5 mins from the M9 athy turn off.

I know the place. But I've heard conflicting reports from the guy I bought the bike off, and other people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

LD 50 wrote: »
    I know the place. But I've heard conflicting reports from the guy I bought the bike off, and other people.

I've used him before and have heard only good things about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I guess ya could get conflicting reports o any mechanic if ya ask around enough though, hehe.
    Any dealings I've had with Andy were good, and he is also a nice dude to deal with. Lifts home if I drop the bike off etc... I could only say good about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

anybody know if Carlow Motorcycles are still open, need to drop my Deauville in for an Air and oil filter change.
    Usually use Bike world but it would be more convenient to use Carlow.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

its ok, they are still open, just took a few hours to answer the phone.
    unfortunately the Deauville Mechanic is in Australia.

Wouldnt mind doing the work myself, but to change the air filter, I would need to remove a massive amount of screws and pieces of Bike.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement