Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet explorer off

• 23-02-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I am getting a message when I try to use internet explorer saying 'Internet explorer has stopped working. a problem has caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available'. I have been waiting for 2 days for a reply from them now. The signal strength is good and I can access sites directly by clicking on their icon. I just can't get internet explorer to work. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

unistall IE then download and install Firefox

As above said, install Mozilla Firefox.

Or try any of the browsers below:
    Google Chrome
    Opera
    Apple Safari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

+1 for Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Groucho10

Thanks for that. I uninstall i/e in add/remove programmes right? Then how do I get onto the net to install firefox? Sorry haven't much of a clue as you can gather.

Download Firefox using IE then install Firefox. The uninstall IE

How to uninstall IE7:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

How to uninstall IE8:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

You can download firefox from the command line,

1 Go to Start > Run > “cmd” and hit OK. This will load the command prompt.
    2 type “ftp” and hit enter.
    3 type “open releases.mozilla.org” and hit enter.
    4 It will ask for a username, type “anonymous” and hit enter.
    5 It will then ask for a password, type “anonymous” and hit enter.
    6 Open the folder with the latest Windows release of Firefox by typing in:
    “cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US” and then enter.
    7 View the contents of the current directory by typing in “ls” and then enter.
    8 Switch to binary file mode by typing in “type image” and then hit enter.
    9 Choose the directory to download firefox to by typing “lcd C:\” (Typing this will save it right to the root directory of the C: Drive.
    10 When you typed in “ls” from step 7, it should have listed a .exe file for you. As of writing the latest version is Firefox Setup 3.6.exe. In this case, we will type in: get “Firefox Setup 3.6.exe” (type in the quotes)
    11 Now go check in your c:/ drive, and you should see the .exe file downloaded.
    12 Type “bye” to exit the FTP mode, and then type “exit” to close out of the Command Prompt

Thanks for that

Download Firefox using IE then install Firefox. The uninstall IE

How to uninstall IE7:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

How to uninstall IE8:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Meant to say Laughing Joker that I IE won't let me do anything.

dun79 - I typed in "open releases.mozilla.org" and I am being told its an invalid command

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

What appears before the cursor in the black window?

It should say ftp>
    Also don't include the inverted commas.
    so it should look like:

ftp> open releases.mozilla.org

hi

sorry about the commas here it is again.

1 Go to Start > Run > cmd and hit OK. This will load the command prompt.
    2 type ftp and hit enter.
    3 type open releases.mozilla.org and hit enter.
    4 It will ask for a username, type anonymous and hit enter.
    5 It will then ask for a password, type anonymous and hit enter.
    6 Open the folder with the latest Windows release of Firefox by typing in:
    cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US or cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-GB and then enter.
    7 View the contents of the current directory by typing in ls and then enter.
    8 Switch to binary file mode by typing in type image and then hit enter.
    9 Choose the directory to download firefox to by typing lcd C:\ (Typing this will save it right to the root directory of the C: Drive.
    10 When you typed in “ls” from step 7, it should have listed a .exe file for you. As of writing the latest version is Firefox Setup 3.6.exe. In this case, we will type in: get “Firefox Setup 3.6.exe” (type in the quotes)
    11 Now go check in your c:/ drive, and you should see the .exe file downloaded.
    12 Type bye to exit the FTP mode, and then type exit to close out of the Command Prompt

• Advertisement

Hi,

Yeah, I was using inverted comas. I got down as far as "directory successfully changed" then I typed in ftp>"is" (no commas) and got invalid command in return. Tried "Is" as well. Same story.

Hi Groucho10

its a small LS no coma

how did you get down to "directory successfully changed" using comas

only use comas on step 10

Sorry dun79, I meant to say I tried again without using the commas. Than I was typing in is not ls. i will try it again now.

ok this is what the cmd window should look like

Ok. Got down to ftp> get "Firefox Setup 3.6.exe" - 200 Port command successful. Consider using PASV.550 failed to open file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I was under the impression that uninstalling IE will make windows not work?

Sorry about this dun79. I eventually stopped making mistakes and got down to File send ok. Now for the really dumb bit. Where do I look in the C drive for the file and what do I actually do when I find it?

Hi Groucho10

if you done lcd C:\ it should be in the root of c:\
    just open the c drive and look for firefox setup3.6.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

You might be sorted out already but if not and you are in Dublin, drop into our shop and I'll burn you a disk with Firefox and some other cool software.

Free gratis of course, we love to support Firefox and the other cool open source applications out there :-)

Patrick

Hi dun79,

Can't find it. I've done something wrong again. I'll try it again later. Getting a severe headache now. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

patchrick wrote: »
    You might be sorted out already but if not and you are in Dublin, drop into our shop and I'll burn you a disk with Firefox and some other cool software.

Free gratis of course, we love to support Firefox and the other cool open source applications out there :-)

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,

Where are you based?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Groucho10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am getting a message when I try to use internet explorer saying 'Internet explorer has stopped working. a problem has caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available'. I have been waiting for 2 days for a reply from them now. The signal strength is good and I can access sites directly by clicking on their icon. I just can't get internet explorer to work. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    The OP did not ask for a replacement browser.

wireless problems will affect all browsers - if the connection breaks it can take windows a couple of seconds to reconnect

Do a scan for malware to make sure nothing hijacking your connection

but first try running Internet Explorer in it's safe mode
    If you’ve run into a problem with an IE addon, and want to be able to use Internet Explorer as usual, you can disable the addons and run Internet Explorer without any addons.

Here’s how you can disable all addons/extensions and run IE 7 or even IE 8 without them:

* Go to Start > Run
    * Type iexplore -extoff
    * Press Enter
    while in safe mode empty the cache too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it was just a corrupted install of IE. Its not my favorite browser by a long shot but it should still work.

The OP did not ask for a replacement browser.

wireless problems will affect all browsers - if the connection breaks it can take windows a couple of seconds to reconnect

Do a scan for malware to make sure nothing hijacking your connection

but first try running Internet Explorer in it's safe mode while in safe mode empty the cache too

Thanks Capt'n Midnight,

That worked in the safe mode. Next stupid question. How do you empty the cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 patchrick

Thanks Patrick,

Where are you based?
    Here's a map to our shop. If you are around pop in and we'll burn you a CD.

Patrick

Hi Capt'n Midnight
    he asked how to download firefox without IE
    Thanks for that. I uninstall i/e in add/remove programmes right? Then how do I get onto the net to install firefox? Sorry haven't much of a clue as you can gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I won't recommend un-installing IE it's an intrical part of ms, it wont conflict with any other browser you download. (unlike an anti virus prog)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cache clear
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache#Internet_Explorer_8

regardless of which browser you use it's always handy to have a second one installed so you can get on to the internet if one don't work.

Firefox also has a safe mode, and should be easy to download now
    you'd need to install stuff like adblock , flashblock, noscript to justify it being safer than IE

As to everyone who said remove IE , you can remove some of the visible bits BUT you can't fully remove it without breaking windows updates.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement