Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing Interest

Options
  • 23-02-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Do any prospective Obama's here have an encouraging words? :rolleyes:
    I just find myself losing interest in the Leaving Cert lately. Its been a long 5-and-a-half years and I just find it hard to get motivated now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

yes we can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

you pretty much got it yourself there, are you really going to waste the 5 and a half years at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Mwah wrote: »
    yes we can

But... I don't want to learn anymore of this Irish poetry rubbish :o Its just too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Had the same problem myself but Ill tell you this and no more, once you get into a college course which you love all the work you are doing now will be worth it.

So, think about it. You should just put in the work now and end up somewhere great, somewhere where you want or piddle about and end up somewhere where you may just end up losing motivation there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Healium wrote: »
    I just find myself losing interest in the Leaving Cert lately. Its been a long 5-and-a-half years and I just find it hard to get motivated now
    After a long five and half years, you're finally approaching the climax that some 14/15 years of mandatory and voluntary education has brought. Finally, it doesn't matter about teachers anymore, your work is going directly into your future. Now, at this crucial time, are you gonna abandon your dreams? Do you want to look back at this time in a year's time and say "I wish I did more..." or "I'm proud I found the motivation and perserverence in myself to work. Look where I am now". You haven't seen anything yet, there's much, much better to come for you...if you want it to. The only barrier to a bright future now is yourself and your mentality. This is a time where everything counts, and at the end of the day, only you can do it alone, if you find it within you.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    After a long five and half years, you're finally approaching the climax that some 14/15 years of mandatory and voluntary education has brought. Finally, it doesn't matter about teachers anymore, your work is going directly into your future. Now, at this crucial time, are you gonna abandon your dreams? Do you want to look back at this time in a year's time and say "I wish I did more..." or "I'm proud I found the motivation and perserverence in myself to work. Look where I am now". You haven't seen anything yet, there's much, much better to come for you...if you want it to. The only barrier to a bright future now is yourself and your mentality. This is a time where everything counts, and at the end of the day, only you can do it alone, if you find it within you.
    My problem is that I'll easily achieve my course. I get into mindsets of "I'll get my course, but my LC Results will stick with me for life, I need to do good" to "I'm getting my course. It'll be fine. Is it worth all this stress?". I don't know if I REALLY want to take life as it comes. I mean, everything is finally coming together in most subjects. I used to hate English and now I love it, I've come to love poetry and Shakespeare and enjoy the homework. I'm getting increasingly sick of Irish and French. The quality of work on the Irish syllabus is DIRE, and French is getting a little repetitive now. I've come as far as mildly enjoying honours maths, a subject I DESPISED in 5th year. I think I've changed my opinion on every subject this year

It really is all to do with interest. I'll work at the subjects I like, and not work so much at subjects I dislike. My problem comes down to my own faults, really. I can't get into a routine....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What if - and hopefully it won't happen - you decide you're not happy with your course and want to fill out the CAO again and put down a different course you'll love...but find you don't have the points for it?

What if you're asking in an interview what you got in the LC, and did you think you did your best?

Not stressing isn't bad, I mean, abit of stress is understandable and it makes people work, but some people take it too far. You should try and do your best...

Does anyone wanna be my sponsor and make sure I'm studying? :P
    Leaving Certs Anonymous - LCA :cool:
    Screw those Leaving Cert Applied-ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

this happened to me when i did my lc last year, let me tell you something one of the worst things ever is not getting the points you needed for college or not getting the grades you should have in terms of ability, unless you want to be very upset and annoyed in august start studying and get stuck in. theres only a couple of months left and it will fly. putting the work in now is worth in when your doing something you enjoy in college next year trust me ive been through this. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

My problem is that I'll easily achieve my course.

Dont take that attitude, I kinda took it last year, and ended up missing my first preference by 5 points. If I applied myself I would have gotten it NO PROBLEM with AT LEAST 50 points to spare......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Will all the extra people that have applied this year, you cant really take the chance that you will get in no problem...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Fad wrote: »
    Dont take that attitude, I kinda took it last year, and ended up missing my first preference by 5 points. If I applied myself I would have gotten it NO PROBLEM with AT LEAST 50 points to spare......
    Same thing happened to me, I thought I'd walk into my course. And in August I got way over what I thought I needed. And then my course shot up by over eighty points and I missed out.
    The single most depressing thing about repeating is knowing you're wasting a year of life, because you just couldn't be bothered working a bit harder for those exams.

Lawliet wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, I thought I'd walk into my course. And in August I got way over what I thought I needed. And then my course shot up by over eighty points and I missed out.
    The single most depressing thing about repeating is knowing you're wasting a year of life, because you just couldn't be bothered working a bit harder for those exams.

I actually don't think I could stick repeating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maher08

I actually don't think I could stick repeating...
    Thats all the motivation you need, no point in complaining about how your losing interest, you have to suck it up, head down and get the work done or else you'l be left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

What with the whole 2 for 1 carry on, no course can be taken for granted really.
    And really, after so long working towards this point, it'd be pretty crap to get a result below what you're able to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

How much study are you doing in general?

I get the "Ara F**k it" attitude like you about the LC sometimes, so I take a good long break from study and anything school related. I mean taking a night off (not a week or anything!). It does me the world of good cause I can come back to the books with a fresh mind and more motivated than I was before.

How much study are you doing in general?

I get the "Ara F**k it" attitude like you about the LC sometimes, so I take a good long break from study and anything school related. I mean taking a night off (not a week or anything!). It does me the world of good cause I can come back to the books with a fresh mind and more motivated than I was before.

Erm, not a whole lot...
    I do all my homework etc, and I retain information really well. This is a double-edged sword because I can get an A or a B in an exam with little or no study :(
    But I started before the mocks. I just need to get into the routine again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭furbey

My problem is that I'll easily achieve my course. I get into mindsets of "I'll get my course, but my LC Results will stick with me for life, I need to do good" to "I'm getting my course. It'll be fine. Is it worth all this stress?". I don't know if I REALLY want to take life as it comes. I mean, everything is finally coming together in most subjects. I used to hate English and now I love it, I've come to love poetry and Shakespeare and enjoy the homework. I'm getting increasingly sick of Irish and French. The quality of work on the Irish syllabus is DIRE, and French is getting a little repetitive now. I've come as far as mildly enjoying honours maths, a subject I DESPISED in 5th year. I think I've changed my opinion on every subject this year

It really is all to do with interest. I'll work at the subjects I like, and not work so much at subjects I dislike. My problem comes down to my own faults, really. I can't get into a routine....

Ya did the leaving last year and totally lost interest, got plenty points but didn't have a specific course to actually do because i didn't care as i'd done no work!!!!
    Don't let that happen to you!!
    I'm repeating and doing nothing because i have points for my course.
    Ya...you'll be happy on results day cause you got the points but the next day it is so IRRITATING to have a voice in your head saying
    "i don't deserve these points, other people worked so much harder and are doing what they like in college, and i could have done so much better if i'd put in the effort".
    Seriously, don't let it happen.
    Work and you'll know what your good at and it'll make you more motivated to get to college and do what you love all the time.
    You don't need a routine.
    I've learnt to do (my favourite subject) maths for fun, anytime, no timetable, no study plan nothing. Just do a bit when your doing nothing else anyway. You'll do what you like and not really think of ot as hmework if you think of it like this.
    Do other subjects a bit to tide you over....whatever.
    Just do a little a lot. That's plenty!!

Oh lord,what have you done to me,Boardsies? This has been the least productive week of my life :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

God what a post. All this motivation makes me wanna eat my biology book!!:D

Good shtuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

You won't find many people who do the leaving and then say "I'm sorry I did so much study".But you'll find plenty who will say "I'm sorry that I didn't do more".

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

find it hard to get motivated now

Music;)

Advertisement