Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband / Phone - works with ADSL modem & POTS?

• 23-02-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I've just ordered UPC broadband & phone and the lady on the line said my existing ADSL modem should work (Netgear DG843N) - from reading the forums, this sounds wrong - can anyone confirm?
    If this is wrong, what is a good wifi modem/router for UPC? - UPC sell a Cisco EPC 2425 for €50 - should I go with this or should I get one from komplett / PC world or elsewhere?

Question regarding the phone - we have RJ45 phone points around the house which works fine with our BT connection - are these now useless or can we still make use of them?
    Where can I get extra phones from (other than say UPC)?
    ~/
    gok

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The lady on the phone is wrong. Your ADSL wireless router will not work.

UPC sell the EPC 2425, but it is useless. Save your €50 and get the Scientific Atlanta EPC2203 that they provide (no wireless) and spend your €50 on a decent wireless router. Komplett sell the Linksys WRT160N which is also DD-WRT compatible.

UPC provide one DECT basestation which plugs into the back of the router. IF you are comfortable disassembling your NTU, it is possible to isolate the internal wiring from the now redundant Eircom line entering the house, and plug your now isolated internal wiring into the back of the modem and still use your wiring as normal.

Care must be taken to ensure you don't exceed the rated REN, which is 5 for both modems that UPC provide. If you are using externally powered phones, such as DECT basestations, this shouldn't be a problem, but it may cause problems if you are using many older phones on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It will work, for up to 3 PCs but is very messy and you will not be able to network the PCs together eg. to share files on a home network, and you also expose your computer directly to the internet (not really ideal!). You're better off going for a non-DSL "cable" router to save you the headache of getting your existing one up and for the basic protection a proper "NAT" setup will give you.

As for the phones, if you disconnect the extension within your house from where your Eircom line comes in, and then connect your UPC cable modem to one of the extension sockets, your extension will now work off the UPC system. Make sure you completely disconnect the Eircom line first!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Thanks for all the info there, really helpful and the picture is getting clearer :D - pity that their EPC2425 is rubbish, seems like I'll have to buy both a modem (e.g Scientific Atlanta EPC2203) + a Wifi router (Linksys WRT160N) - can I simply go and buy an equivalent WiFi Cable Modem which does the modem + WiFi job all in one?

Good to know about the telephone - will be no problem to disconnect the existing line where it enters the house and attach in their one - then I can use my 3 old handsets. Hopefully CallerId will work.
    Whats the crack with an answering service - BT provided it as part of the service at no extra cost - is it an extra with UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Caller ID works fine. AFAIK UPC do provide voicemail free of charge also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

gok wrote: »
    can I simply go and buy an equivalent WiFi Cable Modem which does the modem + WiFi job all in one?
    Nope. It isn't like ADSL where you can just use any old router. Because everyone on the node is connecting to a shared medium, UPC have to provision the MAC address of the modem on their network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just buy a wireless router (one without a modem) and connect it to the cable modem that UPC provide.

You can use the DSL modem, but it will not be functioning as a router, only as a simple switch. The number of users would be limited to the number of unique IP addresses that UPC give each customer (2 I think). There would be no firewall and no NAT.

Advertisement