Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those of you who've done a PG or master's that's different from your degree

Options
  • 23-02-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I'd imagine going straight into a PhD afterwards wouldn't be too easy, what with the early application deadline and the lack of proof that you're good enough to do it.

If you have a decent degree in, say, English Lit, and you switch to studying something a bit different, e.g. a more quantitative field like evolutionary biology/psychology, then they (PhD supervisors etc) won't know if you're able for a full-fledged, ball-breaking PhD program - until you get your results, by which time it'll be too late.

So, you'd have to break your sack working - on a solid research proposal, getting the backup of your lecturers, alongside doing exams and assignments crammed into a full-time MSc.

Has anyone done this?
    (I don't expect many replies tbh)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Psychology has the two-year HDip precisely for this reason. If that helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If you have a decent degree in, say, English Lit, and you switch to studying something a bit different, e.g. a more quantitative field like evolutionary biology/psychology...
    Has anyone done this?
    I can’t imagine many have – your supervisor would be spending most of his or her time teaching you the fundamentals of biology (for example). It just wouldn’t be practical in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

djpbarry wrote: »
    I can’t imagine many have – your supervisor would be spending most of his or her time teaching you the fundamentals of biology (for example). It just wouldn’t be practical in most cases.

MonkeyBalls does say that he would do a masters in the new subject first. He is wondering if it would be possible to put together a successful PhD application while in the middle of the masters and trying to get to grips with the new subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've done that!

I did a postgrad in a different subject from my degree. Admittedly not a million miles away! It is possible - it's tough enough but the first year of phd is mainly spent reading papers and finding out about the area. Also you can take classes.

To be honestly the boundaries between alot of courses are becoming blurred. I know of a pharmacist researching in computer science!

Advertisement