Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Flooring Advice Needed

• 23-02-2010 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Tried looking in recent threads and also on key posts before posting so apologies if my questions are dealt with somewhere I didnt see in the last while.

Looking to get wooden flooring layed in corridoor and small tv room.

Solid flooring looks like its out of my price range.

From what I can find semi-solid is not particularly hard wearing for what it costs (if it gets damaged I am not 100% sure if it can be resanded)

Appears to leave me with a few other choices:

-reclaimed flooring
    -engineered floor
    -bamboo floor boards
    -laminate flooring

Can anyone give me a rough guide to the pros and cons of chosing these for corridoor area which is main access to bedrooms and small tv room.

Also hoping to get a referral / suggestion where I can find a good price as I only need about 40-50 square yards (if anyone knows where I could find end of range stuff or a small job lot of reclaimed floorboards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

first of all you ideally would need a hardwood , oak ash maple etc . but as you say cost is a no no, personally i have used laminates that look as good as any solid floors. i have 12 mm laminate which is very hard wearing and can be picked up for under a tenner a yard. ( the price drops as the boards get thinner ) hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Semi-solid can be sanded but only a few times since the hardwood veneer is about 3-6mm (depending on price). Light sanding to prepare for re-laquering is fine, heavy sanding to remove dents is not. However, sanding is not something you're likely to do for a good few years.

Engineered flooring is just another name for semi-solid flooring so unfortunately your list just got shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 escapethematrix

Bonded strip oak flooring can be got for fairly cheap and its quite hard.

If its high traffic area laminate is probably better choice. Bamboo from my reading gets damaged very easily...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Bamboo is awful. looks bad too

Advertisement