Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speculation That Minster Martin Cullen May Resign Due to a "Back Problem"

• 23-02-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Speculation that Waterford Minister Martin Cullen may resign due to a back problem has been dismissed.

A spokeswoman for the Minister told WLRfm News that he had no intention of resigning and his back problem was not an impediment to doing his work.

The Irish Independent reports that Taoiseach Brian Cowen is understood to be planning a wide-ranging cabinet reshuffle in the coming months.

The report suggested that the tourism minister is at the centre of speculation about resigning his post due to health problems.

However his spokeswoman said he has a back problem, like many people across the country, and he is getting on with his job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

RobitTV wrote: »
    Speculation that Waterford Minister Martin Cullen may resign due to a back problem has been dismissed.

A spokeswoman for the Minister told WLRfm News that he had no intention of resigning and his back problem was not an impediment to doing his work.

The Irish Independent reports that Taoiseach Brian Cowen is understood to be planning a wide-ranging cabinet reshuffle in the coming months.

The report suggested that the tourism minister is at the centre of speculation about resigning his post due to health problems.

However his spokeswoman said he has a back problem, like many people across the country, and he is getting on with his job.

If Lenihan can carry on as Finance Minister battling Cancer I'm sure Cullen can do his less stressful job as minister for fun while suffering from backpain:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mist has more substance than this report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Looks like Cullen has been offered a face-saving parachute and has declined to jump. Its the push for him next month so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

He has a sore back

"bites tongue to make sure I dont mention lifting something"

sure most people from about 25 up have fecking bad backs. whats he on about. Maybe his chauffer drove to fast or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Lots of rumours about him not running in the next election though. Apparently he's just not interested anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

AdMMM wrote: »
    Lots of rumours about him not running in the next election though. Apparently he's just not interested anymore.
    The term full ministeral pension comes to mind

Don't blame him to be honest, getting the N9/M9 on the production slate was always likely to be his last splash. He could tread water for the next 20 years like so many but why bother with such a nice pay off?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

I'm not sure where this rumour came from either.

I'm no fan of FF or anything, but Martin Cullen does genuinely suffer from a bad back . I believe he had a serious car accident years ago and suffered serious neck and back injuries. I think he actually broke his neck in the accident.

On a side note, I know him a little and he's genuinely a really nice chap. He'll long be remembered for the Waterford city bypass and new bridge, I cant see any other Waterford politicians getting ministerial positions anytime soon and like it or not we need ministers to actually get anything done in the SE:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »

Very slow news day I guess, have they nothing better to do but Speculate?

we can all do it
    "WLRFM may shutdown in the next 5 years"
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Very slow news day I guess, have they nothing better to do but Speculate?

we can all do it
    "WLRFM may shutdown in the next 5 years"
    :rolleyes:
    I like this prediction.Now to wait and hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

zeppe wrote: »
    I'm no fan of FF or anything, but Martin Cullen does genuinely suffer from a bad back . I believe he had a serious car accident years ago and suffered serious neck and back injuries. I think he actually broke his neck in the accident.
    When watching the Dail coverage the other day it was clear that he was using a walking stick and limping badly.
    On a side note, I know him a little and he's genuinely a really nice chap. He'll long be remembered for the Waterford city bypass and new bridge, I cant see any other Waterford politicians getting ministerial positions anytime soon and like it or not we need ministers to actually get anything done in the SE:D
    It seems to be a consensus that he was a good Minister For Waterford and the South East. Not bad at all for a Waterpark old boy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Funny how some people are respected in their own county but seen as a laughing stock elsewhere. I hear Limerick people are very fond of Willie O'Dea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I despise the man as the waste of space that he is , I'm ashamed that he only get in coz he's minister , and after all the years Waterford is saying well done for a tolled bridge, nows thats whats wrong with Irish politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Tribune says Cullen ready to step down
    Last Updated Feb 2010

Sunday, February 28th 2010

Martin Cullen is likely to leave the cabinet in the impending reshuffle according to this morning's Sunday Tribune

The paper says the Taoiseach will not go for a radical overhaul of the cabinet, with under fire ministers such as Noel Dempsey, Mary Coughlan and Mary Harney set to retain portfolios.

However it says Waterford TD Martin Cullen - currently the Minister for Arts Sports and Tourism - has already reached agreement with the Taoiseach to step down and may not contest the next General Election due to his chronic Back condition.

Minister Cullen became the first city based TD to serve in the cabinet when he became Minister for the Environment in 2002 and went on to hold the portfolio for Transport and Social Welfare before being made Minster for Arts Sport and Tourism in Brian Cowen's first cabinet

http://wlrfm.com/tabId/503/itemId/3761/Tribune-says-Cullen-ready-to-step-down.aspx

Cullen is the only SE cabinet minister I think and if he's not standing then who will bat for us? More to the point who will stand next time or will this be the best news ever for Keneally, and Wilkinson (in particular)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

If deasy gets his act together there is no reason why he couldn,t be our next minister,he was the darling of the media,before his career went up in smoke :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

decies wrote: »
    If deasy gets his act together there is no reason why he couldn,t be our next minister,he was the darling of the media,before his career went up in smoke :rolleyes:

Personally would think that Coffey would get the ministerial role for Waterford quicker then Deasy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think you need to redefine your idea of mist :p

*cough* pea souper this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully wrote: »
    Personally would think that Coffey would get the ministerial role for Waterford quicker then Deasy tbh.

The same muppet who appears in today's article in the Tribune, that seems to have objected to the M9 route and then criticised the government for the delays?

What's good for FG is bad for FF
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/feb/28/whats-good-for-fg-is-bad-for-ff/

There is no talent in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

merlante wrote: »
    The same muppet who appears in today's article in the Tribune, that seems to have objected to the M9 route and then criticised the government for the delays?

What's good for FG is bad for FF
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/feb/28/whats-good-for-fg-is-bad-for-ff/

There is no talent in Waterford.

Well, to be fair, what did you expect? Just because he lobbied for an additional exit (he never lobbied against the M9 specifically), does not mean he should then just sit around and do nothing when the road is completed and not opened because of FF incompetence. A lot of people were calling for the government to cop on and open the road in the interest of safety - its his job to represent these people and add additional pressure.

I think, personally, he is the best candidate in FG at the moment for Waterford. You cant hold that against him, to be fair. We either want a minister who will represent us well and do good for Waterford, or we sit around not bothering and leave Waterford become the same city that the government continues to neglect.

Well, to be fair, what did you expect? Just because he lobbied for an additional exit (he never lobbied against the M9 specifically), does not mean he should then just sit around and do nothing when the road is completed and not opened because of FF incompetence. A lot of people were calling for the government to cop on and open the road in the interest of safety - its his job to represent these people and add additional pressure.

I think, personally, he is the best candidate in FG at the moment for Waterford. You cant hold that against him, to be fair. We either want a minister who will represent us well and do good for Waterford, or we sit around not bothering and leave Waterford become the same city that the government continues to neglect.

Well at the very least I expect the man to have the common sense to not pick the delayed M9 as his complaint of the week when it could be pointed out that the delays were down to him. Surely there were other things that the government were doing badly that he could have picked.

I think there will be no Waterford-based minister forthcoming in the next term at least. I would like to think that under another government clientelism might not be as big a force in Irish politics, and national strategies might eclipse the FF parish pump. But then... this is Ireland... so maybe we should just hold a contest and all get behind the most charming and personable character that emerges!

merlante wrote: »
    Well at the very least I expect the man to have the common sense to not pick the delayed M9 as his complaint of the week when it could be pointed out that the delays were down to him. Surely there were other things that the government were doing badly that he could have picked.

I doubt he had that much of an impact on the delay. The major delay with the opening of this road, I believe, has been an ongoing dispute with Irish Rail. Other then that, I would imagine they would have had the road open on time or even earlier. Now that the road is effectively done and handed over to KCC - it seems KCC are going to wait a few extra weeks for the minister to cut the ribbon and get some media attention. I think this is something every politician should be complaining about if they represent the views of their constituents.

The paper picks out one minor point in an attempt to make a dig at FG. Yes it was pointed out by him, and yes he was right to do so. I am sure that he, along with other politicians, are also pointing out many other issues where the government are doing so badly.
    I think there will be no Waterford-based minister forthcoming in the next term at least. I would like to think that under another government clientelism might not be as big a force in Irish politics, and national strategies might eclipse the FF parish pump. But then... this is Ireland... so maybe we should just hold a contest and all get behind the most charming and personable character that emerges!

I would be happy to see an active, hard working minister for Waterford who will deliver to us and put this city back into the spotlight and away from the dark cupboards where we are currently in this current government.

This country seems more interested in a political leader that would get voted no 1 in "Ireland's Got Talent" rather then an individual who could actually deliver what is needed. The same applies throughout the political system. As for clientelism - thats what politics is made up of around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I love the way Martin Cullen has a 'spokesperson'

Coca Cola should have a spokesperson but Martin Cullen?

As for clientelism - thats what politics is made up of around the world.

Not so much in the UK, where many of the top ranking politicians are very well educated, and not slaves to their constituents. Ireland is one of the worst countries in the world for clientelism, where nobody can get elected unless he promises to build driveways and deliver X, Y or Z by hook or by crook. Real countries have national plans, which decide where hospitals, universities, airports, etc. are developed. In Ireland it's like chicks sticking their open mouths out, and it's pretty much a lottery who gets fed.

The role of the 'local minister' in Ireland has done Waterford more harm than good. Cullen aside, Waterford has been completely overlooked down through the years. I'd prefer to see Waterford prioritised as a centre of development in a national plan that was actually followed through than having to source and vote for 'the minister' in every election. It would be kind of nice to vote for the politics rather than the man once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Reading most news story today they all seem to say that he wants to be left out any cabinet reshuffle due to his ongoing back problems
    Simply a case that he was going to be left out anyway so he simply jumped first to save face.
    I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that if he isn’t fit to continue as a minister then he’s hardly perfectly fit to continue as a TD.
    Personally id like to see him run as a non minister in the next election and see him land flat on his face and not get in........a big 'thanks for nothing from the people of Waterford'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

rasper wrote: »
    I despise the man as the waste of space that he is , I'm ashamed that he only get in coz he's minister , and after all the years Waterford is saying well done for a tolled bridge, nows thats whats wrong with Irish politics
    +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Cullen is the only SE cabinet minister I think and if he's not standing then who will bat for us? More to the point who will stand next time or will this be the best news ever for Keneally, and Wilkinson (in particular)?

FF should go with only one on the ticket next time round. Putting two or more in might mean none of them would get in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

rasper wrote: »

+1 million

He may be a minister but he has done **** all for the city and county. Can anyone here list any tangable benefits he has made in the last couple of years. I can list none, **** all. What good is he? We might as well have none. Waterford City is an unemployment blackspot with over 13k on the dole in the city alone. The arse has fallen out of the local economy, and this clown is nowhere to be seen or heard. Where was he when Waterford Crystal closed. FF have bailed out their banker and bondholder benefactors, yet when it comes to ordinary workers they leave us hanging. Martin Cullen is part of the FF corrupt elite who have bankrupted this country for a generation to come. He is part of a corrupt, gombeen and rotten system and voting him or his shower back in again will not matter a jot to those outside the cosseted elite. Life will go on as before, if not get worse.

Never have any fear though, even if he stands, he will still get elected due to a significant electorate of Waterford who are politically illiterate. 11,000+ people voted for him the last time. well suckers you can stew in your own pigswill. you elected this prime eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Deise Tom wrote: »
    FF should go with only one on the ticket next time round. Putting two or more in might mean none of them would get in.

Preferably they will get the hiding that they deserve from the electorate and come back with zero, zilch, nada.

Advertisement