Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speculation That Minster Martin Cullen May Resign Due to a "Back Problem"

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Deise Dan

Think he'll be remembered for e voting and the money it lost. This may not be totally his fault but he's carrying the can. Waterford needs a minister and the county needs a TD in Government, 2 city TD's will push their own patch first.
    Regarding the re shuffle, Sport looks to be pushed aside. This would be a disaster, maybe a more suitable sports minister, even a junior minister. We haven't pushed our sport tourism and this can be a gold mine if worked properly. What's been done to make use of Ireland as Olympic base, from what I've read visas issued by UK for games won't be accepted here. Encourage visitors not make things more difficult.
    Succesful sport events like the Kinsale 7's generate millions for the economy. 7 or 8 team for a soccer tournament would mean 160 plus people for 2 nights in a town. Spend 250 euros between food, beer and hotel €40,000 plus, into area. Not rocket science, just need a bit of imagination.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Poor chap is in hospital at the moment and likely to remain their for the week. Just breaking news on RTE 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Poor chap is in hospital at the moment and likely to remain their for the week. Just breaking news on RTE 2fm.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0302/cullenm.html

Martin Cullen hospitalised with back problems
    Tuesday, 2 March 2010 12:37
    The Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism Martin Cullen has been admitted to hospital for treatment for a chronic back complaint and is expected to remain there for the rest of the week.

Consequently, Mr Cullen did not attend this morning's Cabinet meeting.

Some of his engagements - including a trip to the west coast of the US - are being undertaken by Minister of State Martin Mansergh.

Mr Cullen's health problems have led to strong speculation that he will step down from the Cabinet, thereby giving Taoiseach Brian Cowen an extra position to award in the coming reshuffle.

It is not known if the minister intends making an early announcement about his intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds bad, and a bad back is a very bad thing indeed. So he's not going to stand (geddit? sorry) next time its fair to say. RTE news just covered all this and a parachute candidate was mentioned as a possibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Deise Dan wrote: »
    Think he'll be remembered for e voting and the money it lost. This may not be totally his fault but he's carrying the can.

Waterford needs a minister and the county needs a TD in Government, 2 city TD's will push their own patch first.

You are spot on with your first point. All too often political people (in all parties) are remembered for cock ups by those that came before them.

I think you are also right in your second point. While all 4 TD's will claim that they have the interest in both the city and the county in mind there is many that will disagree with this. It might be because I am a member of a FF Cumann (and i make no apologies for it) but the only one i see out and about (In the west of the county anyway) is Brendan Kenneally. Thats not saying that the other three dont go out to meet the voters. Its just i dont see them. Maybe i dont go to the right places. I have often thought that Waterford's constituency should be split and that we have two going to leinster house from the city and it envoirns and two from the west of the county and maybe part of the east. I dont think it would make a difference what party these people came from, at least it should not so long as they do there very best for Waterford.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »

Took them a long time to get it. WLR had it on all the morning. Surely with a RTE Office for the South East in Waterford City 2FM could have had the news much earlier than 1pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Deise Dan wrote: »
    Think he'll be remembered for e voting and the money it lost. This may not be totally his fault but he's carrying the can.
    Why is that? I've always wondered why he gets the blame for the e-voting machines even though it was a decision by the previous Minister for the Environment, which was surely also backed by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. Yet Cullen has taken nearly all the blame.

Surely the media know this, yet they continue to lay the blame on Cullen. I suspect they just hate him, as evidenced by their other attempts to ruin his life.

Why is that? I've always wondered why he gets the blame for the e-voting machines even though it was a decision by the previous Minister for the Environment, which was surely also backed by Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. Yet Cullen has taken nearly all the blame.

Surely the media know this, yet they continue to lay the blame on Cullen. I suspect they just hate him, as evidenced by their other attempts to ruin his life.

Cake being cut into one too many pieces come to mind for the media not liking Cullen (read Waterford) doing well

I would say that the media do know that it was Noel Dempsey was responsible for the machines, but some journalists, (the younger ones that go for the sensational reporting rather than reporting the facts at times), dont want to know this, and once they get something into their heads dont want to change their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Deise Tom wrote: »
    You are spot on with your first point. All too often political people (in all parties) are remembered for cock ups by those that came before them.

I think you are also right in your second point. While all 4 TD's will claim that they have the interest in both the city and the county in mind there is many that will disagree with this. It might be because I am a member of a FF Cumann (and i make no apologies for it) but the only one i see out and about (In the west of the county anyway) is Brendan Kenneally. Thats not saying that the other three dont go out to meet the voters. Its just i dont see them. Maybe i dont go to the right places. I have often thought that Waterford's constituency should be split and that we have two going to leinster house from the city and it envoirns and two from the west of the county and maybe part of the east. I dont think it would make a difference what party these people came from, at least it should not so long as they do there very best for Waterford.

I realise that you've been very up front, admitting that you are a FF activist, but could you answer a few questions for me?

Is there anyone more talented than Brendan Kenneally or Ollie Wilkinson in the works? Because I bloody hope so.

Do you see political dynasties as being a positive thing for the country and do you think that politicians should spend their time meeting voters? I'd prefer if Kenneally was in the Dail or at committees proposing legislation and representing his constituency.

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    I realise that you've been very up front, admitting that you are a FF activist, but could you answer a few questions for me?

Is there anyone more talented than Brendan Kenneally or Ollie Wilkinson in the works? Because I bloody hope so.

Do you see political dynasties as being a positive thing for the country and do you think that politicians should spend their time meeting voters? I'd prefer if Kenneally was in the Dail or at committees proposing legislation and representing his constituency.

I would not say i am a FF Activist. I am just a member of a local cumann.

To be honest its hard to know what talent Fianna Fail have. Personally i would be a fan of Brendan's as i know a few people that he has helped in the past and still continues to do so. This is 100 percent fact. FF have something like 4 councillors in the county and one in the city. One person that could well however thay alot of people have time for is the Mayor of Lismore, Bernard Leddy. He has run for the county Council for FF in the last two or three elections but because of mis management by FF officials in Dublin he has lost out, due to the fact they put too many people on the ballot paper, therefore splitting the vote to many ways. (alot of the problems that FF have are coming from an office in Dublin run by people paid by the party to do so. They have not a clue what is happening outside of their own area and i doubt they care what happens either). Maybe Bernard might be well worth a try in Leinster House representing the people of Waterford.

I would have no problem with political dynasties so long as those that succeed those that have come before them do their job. I have problems with no one that does their job in fact. As regards the part about the TDs meeting the voters, i can say hand on heart that Brendan Kenneally does this and holds a number of clinics in different parishes in West Waterford on the first Saturday of the month, every month and also is available for a clinic i think its twice a week at his office in Dungarvan. I am sure he does the same in the middle and east of the county and in the city. I can also say that I know that Brian O'Shea was visiting some areas in the past, but dont know if he still does. I know for a fact he had a clinic at one particular location in the west of the county once a month, but used to have it on a Friday afternoon and was not been well attended. In fact i can safely say that i never once saw anyone turn up for it.

As regards the part about the TDs meeting the voters, i can say hand on heart that Brendan Kenneally does this and holds a number of clinics in different parishes in West Waterford on the first Saturday of the month, every month and also is available for a clinic i think its twice a week at his office in Dungarvan. I am sure he does the same in the middle and east of the county and in the city. I can also say that I know that Brian O'Shea was visiting some areas in the past, but dont know if he still does. I know for a fact he had a clinic at one particular location in the west of the county once a month, but used to have it on a Friday afternoon and was not been well attended. In fact i can safely say that i never once saw anyone turn up for it.

Isn't that the nub of the problem; TD's helping individuals instead of the county (majority) they are suppose to represent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Cullen should resign his seat as from now,if hes medically not fit to do the job hes supposed to be doing,give wateford a by election.

Bards wrote: »
    Isn't that the nub of the problem; TD's helping individuals instead of the county (majority) they are suppose to represent

No. Part of their job is to help individuals who may not have the way or the know how in getting their entitlements. This individuals thing is a load of bull. There may be some looking after themselves but most i am sure are there to help everyone if asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

No. Part of their job is to help individuals who may not have the way or the know how in getting their entitlements. This individuals thing is a load of bull. There may be some looking after themselves but most i am sure are there to help everyone if asked.

No he's right. That's probably the single biggest flaw in Irish politics. Our TDs getting large sums of money shouldn't have to be concerned with trivial matters such as Biddy's pension or Johnny's medical card. But the way the system is set up in Waterford, that is how it works. And someone doing a lot of this type of work is more likely to get elected than someone who's working hard drafting legislation or making proposals to help out the city and country at large. It's a ridiculous system.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    No he's right. That's probably the single biggest flaw in Irish politics. Our TDs getting large sums of money shouldn't have to be concerned with trivial matters such as Biddy's pension or Johnny's medical card. But the way the system is set up in Waterford, that is how it works. And someone doing a lot of this type of work is more likely to get elected than someone who's working hard drafting legislation or making proposals to help out the city and country at large. It's a ridiculous system.

It could be a rediculous system, but thats the system we have and things will stay that way. As i said some people do not have the means (for whatever reason) of finding out all what they should be getting and therefore have to go to someone that will help them. People working in the offices that deal with things like pensions and medical cards as you mention, are at times not the nicest or most helpful of people and think that it is there job to refuse as much as they can so that for some they have as little work as possible to do. Because of these kind of people someone has to be used to intervene, and this happens most often to be a td or a GOOD Councillor. If TDs were there just to legistate, why do we bother voting. Why not just get the best three four or five people in an areas as numbers dicdate and send them to Dublin and leave them there for whatever amount of years and then pension them off at retirement age. Part of a TDs jon whether we like it or not is to help people that turn to them when help is needed.

It could be a rediculous system, but thats the system we have and things will stay that way. As i said some people do not have the means (for whatever reason) of finding out all what they should be getting and therefore have to go to someone that will help them. People working in the offices that deal with things like pensions and medical cards as you mention, are at times not the nicest or most helpful of people and think that it is there job to refuse as much as they can so that for some they have as little work as possible to do. Because of these kind of people someone has to be used to intervene, and this happens most often to be a td or a GOOD Councillor. If TDs were there just to legistate, why do we bother voting. Why not just get the best three four or five people in an areas as numbers dicdate and send them to Dublin and leave them there for whatever amount of years and then pension them off at retirement age. Part of a TDs jon whether we like it or not is to help people that turn to them when help is needed.

Shouldn't that be the job of a LOCAL councilor

why the hell should I pay tax to pay a TD on €80,000+ before expenses etc to do the job of a civil servant. If the Civil Serants are not doing their job then questions must be asked

it is a mad system and needs changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the Irish need is a lesson in civics! Learn how to engage with the system and know your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

What you're describing there is a classic clientelist system of democracy where voters vote for favours and services rather than to elect competent men to make good law and make good executive decisions at a national level.

This is interesting to read:
    Politics and Clientelism in Urban Ireland:
    information, reputation, and brokerage
    (c)Lee Komito 1985
    http://www.ucd.ie/lkomito/thesis1.htm#Irish%20Clientelism
    Descriptions of Irish politics fit into the clientelist model: politicians "privatize" state benefits by claiming credit for providing citizens with their legal entitlements, and personal connections and influence are widely regarded as a crucial determinant of access to state benefits. Politicians spend their time building up clienteles among the voters to assure themselves of electoral success, while also protecting themselves from the encroachment of rival politicians. A report on the Irish civil service by the Public Services Organisation Review Group (hereafter abbreviated as PSORG) suggested that politicians' activity "helps perpetuate the misconception that everything can be "fixed'" (PSORG 1969:448). Decisions regarding public expenditure seem the result of personal interventions, and economic viability seems less pressing a criterion than the publicity afforded by providing jobs for a local area. Numerous projects (including airports, oil refineries, and factories) are maintained because the partisan political benefit outweighes the economic loss to the state.

One of the many problems with this system, is that lads like yourself, in the cummans, have increased access to the Brendan Kennealys of this world, whilst individuals who are not tightly integrated into institutions like the FF party, the church, a trade union, etc., or do not have a large network of connections, find themselves in a weaker position. For example, if Johnny in the cumman gets a medical card quicker because he knows Brendan, or somebody has put him on to Brendan, then Sven from Sweden, who has lived in Ireland for years but has fewer connections, is pushed down the medical card list.

Everyone should have equal access to public services. Most public services have numbers that you can call for advice. I would hope that we are moving away from the clientelism model, because I would be pretty pissed off if I knew (as you suggest) that people who go to TDs or good councillors are getting ahead of me in priority for key services. I know friends of mine who had to wait 2 years for a medical card by going through the normal procedures; they would love to hear that Brendan and Brian or whatever TD kept pushing them down the list to look after one of their people.

Countries are run by a good executive and by good laws and regulations. Clientelism will invariably wreck the country with the government too busy looking after their supporters. This is more or less exactly what FF have done. If Brendan Kenneally took more interest in the way the IFSC or Anglo was regulated, or how the economy was building up a dangerous dependency on the construction industry, then maybe we'd all be a lot better off now. That is why we elect TDs. I don't vote for TDs just so every tom, dick and harry can get one up on me when it comes to access to services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

That way of looking at things is the reson we end up with the same shower being voted in term after term, and why we won't get the radical reform we need!

"Sure that's hwo it is so we may as well just go along with it" is not a healthy perspective.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't that be the job of a LOCAL councilor

why the hell should I pay tax to pay a TD on €80,000+ before expenses etc to do the job of a civil servant. If the Civil Serants are not doing their job then questions must be asked

it is a mad system and needs changing.

Most (not all) of the Civil Servants in this country with their union reps are holding this country to ransom. If they dont want to do their job (which many of them are not doing) they should be kicked out and people that will work should be brought in. There is after all thousands of people right now looking for work.

I agree the system does need changing, but cant see it happening in the near future because of what goes on and no-one is willing to tackle those that hold the power.

Advertisement