Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

effects pedals

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

El Pr0n wrote: »
    But I think with synths it's not such a big deal, the guys who are really at the cutting edge of electronic music (YMMV, of course, but I'd think of people like Autechre, Aphex Twin, etc.) use a mix of everything they can, with notable use of old gear and new stuff. It REALLY wrecks my head with guitars. Seems like 97% of guitarists just don't pay realise what it means to be original, clever, they don't understand the context of themselves vs. the context of their heroes, and even worse, they don't want to try to figure it out.

Yeah, another concept I like to throw around a lot; the weak fascimile. It's very common in music, and it's responsible for phenomenons for example like most modern pop rock/indie and this "Crabcore" - since it sort of alludes to a bunch of different genres young people like, it must be a good right? Even though it only appropriates it, like you say, without understanding the context.

Ironically the people who would consider computer emulations poor copies are often nothing but poor copies themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

punchdrunk wrote: »
    well i dunno...

I'm pretty much on the fence about pedals...

2139796080055079378S600x600Q85.jpg

That's an impressive array of pedals, Punchdrunk!

Can I ask you about a few I'm curious about...
    - What's the big gold box below the wahs?
    - What are interesting looking yokies to the left of the Snarling Dog?
    And finally,
    - What is your favorite fuzz pedal? (I've developed a bit of an unhealthy obsession with fuzz pedals recently! - you're hardly selling any fuzzboxes are you?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Bootsy. wrote: »
    That's an impressive array of pedals, Punchdrunk!

Can I ask you about a few I'm curious about...
    - What's the big gold box below the wahs?
    - What are interesting looking yokies to the left of the Snarling Dog?
    And finally,
    - What is your favorite fuzz pedal? (I've developed a bit of an unhealthy obsession with fuzz pedals recently! - you're hardly selling any fuzzboxes are you?)

yeah no worries!

the goldie thing is a Van amps soulmate spring reverb tank

http://www.analogman.com/reverbam.htm

left of the snarling dogs is a stylophone synth and a Lastgasp Art Laboratories theremin which sound crap on their own but amazing when mixed with effects! :D

favourite fuzz is a tricky one,but either the crowther audio Prunes & Custard or the zvex octane (not in the pic) both of which are really octave fuzzes,if I had to pick a favourite regular fuzz then my monsterpiece NPN (again bought since that pic was taken)

I've just gotten a 70's Maestro fuzz phaser that i'm fixing which could be the ultimate pedal for me!

sorry no fuzzes being flogged at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Just about what some of you lads were arguing about there... I've found that when your talking about a really good clean sound as opposed to using effects that your looking for a completely different tone from your dry signal.

I've got a '93 strat with a maple neck and texas special pickups, so the sound out of it is really really bright and trebley. I f*cking love the clean sound of it, its really crisp and pure and you get a real kick in the nuts off the low strings.

But now i'm looking to get rid of it. Lately, with my band I've been using a lot more effects. With such a pure clean sound it kind of cuts through the effects and sounds a bit disjointed. I'm looking for another strat... Preferably a Deluxe with a rosewood or ebony neck and an S1 switch to give a slightly softer tone. I've found that the softer tone works much better with effects and seems to get a better mix. Especially with distortions, because I like a really high gain but low end sound... I've a DS-1 and the tone is always at about 11 o clock with the gain up full. With the Texas specials and maple neck it just doesnt sound right... It ends up more gritty than it should and the distortion doesnt mix with the guitar right. They kinda sound a lil bit separate from each other if that makes sense? The same it happens for my microsynth, phaser and wah.

Ideally, I'd like to keep both... Maple for clean songs, rosewood for effect heavy songs but unfortunately I'm poor so thats not happening. Thats why I want the S1 switch... You can switch between high and low end sounds really easily.

On another note... I play through a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod which is only a 40 watt amp and 12" speaker. The volume on it goes up to 12 but it really doesnt get any louder past 6. When we're just practicing (not hooked up to a PA and monitors) I always get that bit of natural overdrive. Obviously thats always gonna happen when its cranked, but have any of you any tips on how to reduce it? Is there anything in the EQ I can change to help my case? Or do you know would I still get that overdrive if I was using a boost pedal? I've tried my friends Keeley Katana which I found gave a really clean boost but that was on his amp, I'm not sure what it would do to mine.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

My experience with the Texas Specials is that they have a treble peak thing going on which is a bit abrasive.

Otherwise, your amp is also another possible culprit. The Hot Rod Deluxes sound pretty good, but again in my experience that have a bit of treble thing going on which is not necessarily desirable. A replacement speaker could work wonders for what you are hearing. Also replacing the coupling capacitors in the amp would also bring about a pretty big improvement in the texture of the sound. The blue molded Sozos can be had for not much cash and are supposed to sound right on the money (I have used the yellow Sozo vintages in a Vox amp and there was a pretty significant improvement)

You should also consider maybe investing in some better cables.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQCw1YrFPM

My experience with the Texas Specials is that they have a treble peak thing going on which is a bit abrasive.

Otherwise, your amp is also another possible culprit. The Hot Rod Deluxes sound pretty good, but again in my experience that have a bit of treble thing going on which is not necessarily desirable. A replacement speaker could work wonders for what you are hearing. Also replacing the coupling capacitors in the amp would also bring about a pretty big improvement in the texture of the sound. The blue molded Sozos can be had for not much cash and are supposed to sound right on the money (I have used the yellow Sozo vintages in a Vox amp and there was a pretty significant improvement)

You should also consider maybe investing in some better cables.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQCw1YrFPM

Hmmmm... So are you saying the overdrive could be partially down to the amount of treble between the amp itself and the guitar? The thing is I still love the clean, trebley sound I get, its just that its not very versatile when it comes to effects. So I don't want to do anything like replacing the speaker which could make me lose that crisp clean sound.

The crisp clean sound is down to the amp circuit. It is probably the case that the speaker just isn't voicing overdrive/distortion sounds the way you would like to hear it. In my experience, a good speaker is capable of delivering either clean or distorted.

Oooh ok I get what your saying. Roughly how much would you be looking at for a new speaker?

It depends really on how much you want to spend. For example, I have seen the Eminence Cannabis Rex recommended in a couple of places as a good choice for the Fender Hot Rod series. That is a fairly affordable speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

punchdrunk wrote: »
    yeah no worries!

the goldie thing is a Van amps soulmate spring reverb tank

http://www.analogman.com/reverbam.htm

left of the snarling dogs is a stylophone synth and a Lastgasp Art Laboratories theremin which sound crap on their own but amazing when mixed with effects! :D

favourite fuzz is a tricky one,but either the crowther audio Prunes & Custard or the zvex octane (not in the pic) both of which are really octave fuzzes,if I had to pick a favourite regular fuzz then my monsterpiece NPN (again bought since that pic was taken)

I've just gotten a 70's Maestro fuzz phaser that i'm fixing which could be the ultimate pedal for me!

sorry no fuzzes being flogged at the moment!

Thanks for that.

Some cool fuzzboxes there.

I just bought a 'Gold Fuzz' fuzz factory clone from zcat (hasn't arrived yet), and I'm getting a Big Muff with Tone Wicker. I was never keen on the Muff's muddiness but this one sounds great! Can't afford more at the moment but SkinKontrol have a really nasty sounding (in a good way) Superfuzz clone that I have my eye on! And The Roger Mayer Axis, and The Goose Fuzz, and PE's Experience, and... crap I really need a job.

Advertisement