Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Dirt Cheap Car in Galway City?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, please dont move this to motoring as Galway related questions never get answered in there.

I need a hatchback car, only provision is it has to start when I turn the key and move when I put it in gear, everything else is optional :D

Anyone know where Id get one in the city for around €200 or less? Preferably less. Is there a town scrapyard somewhere in Galway? Ive never heard of one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Your job just got alot harder since January. Cars 10+ years old are now suddenly worth €1500 with the government scrappage scheme. €200 is VERY cheap probably 500 to 600 is possible. Try the buy and sell, you might have to travel outside Galway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yeah, forgot about the scrappage scheme tbh, stupid cnuts, scrappage schemes are only for countries that build the cars in the first place.

Did a quick look on carzone and there are two Toyota Corollas for €995 and they are the cheapest in Galway.

I would suggest calling the garages but I guess they need to scrap any cars that come in under the scrappage plan.

Yeah it seems that way alright, thanks for looking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There's a hatchback down the road from me that's been sitting in the drive for months, it's got a broken window.

it's on the road going up the hill from briarhill shopping centre. Maybe you could drop in a note and ask if they're interested in selling up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

why don't you try looking on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=146528&cat=all
    spend a bit on new lamps and you'll be grand

Because you cant sort by price, well you can but it just brings up all the sold cars first then hundreds for sale for one Euro, meaning make an offer, and I dont know anything about cars because I cycle everywhere so I dont know what to offer.

domrush wrote: »
    Thats a dead auction, there are hundreds of them on Adverts, I was just wondering if there was a scrapyard or anything like that in Galway where you could walk in and get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

domrush wrote: »
    from the description that thing sounds like a death trap.:eek:
    you might get something half decent around the 500 euro mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Thargor wrote: »

Anyone know where Id get one in the city for around €200 or less? Preferably less. Is there a town scrapyard somewhere in Galway? Ive never heard of one.

Are you planning on put this car on public roads?
    I'd wouldn't fancy seeing what kind of a car 200 Euro, and your not even hoping to spend that, will buy you.
    You wouldn't even buy a half decent set of tyres for that amount.
    If you are planning on putting it on public roads you would be making a mockery of motoring laws regarding road worthiness, the NCT test, road taxes and the scrapage scheme, regardless of your views on that scheme.

And just because a car has a valid NCT cert doesn't mean its road worthy.

Please ignore this if your only looking for a field car.

Well its a car that a few people want to practice their turnabouts and reversing around corners and other stuff for the tests, they dont really need lessons anymore just practice and they figured it would be way cheaper to get a fieldcar type thing and practice in that, I said someone on here would know. They're not worried about tax or insurance or NCT or anything, been a few months since I saw a Garda around here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Thargor wrote: »
    Well its a car that a few people want to practice their turnabouts and reversing around corners and other stuff for the tests, they dont really need lessons anymore just practice and they figured it would be way cheaper to get a fieldcar type thing and practice in that, I said someone on here would know. They're not worried about tax or insurance or NCT or anything, been a few months since I saw a Garda around here anyway.

Fair enough, I too did plenty of messing about in old bangers of cars in my day, and it is a good way to learn how to drive. Just keep in mind if an accident does occur, and that is to be expected with learner drivers, you may be the one getting a call from an angry parent, or even the cop's for finding/getting the car. Besides I'am sure, like anyone, you wouldn't like someone getting hurt or injured and you know young lads; once they've had a few spins in the car, they'll start pushing it on a bit seeing what they can knock out of it. I know I did!:D

Those sound decent actually, might offer 250 for them and see what they say, thanks Nox.

Maybe try the Claremorris car auctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motoring is the place but since you don't want to post there.
    Try donedeal.ie, adverts.ie, driving.ie, ...
    There's a breakers on Headford Road but I don't think they sell whole cars.

Be prepared to put the hours searching in - "either you must have money or you must have time".

Reminds me of this old post:493b5.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement