Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat acting... strange

Options
  • 23-02-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

He hurt his leg about Wednesday/Thursday last week, where he wasn't putting any weight on it that day, he did put some weight on it the next day. I brought him to the vet anyway and his leg seemed swollen, so it was painkillers for him and not much jumping. He still seems to be limping a little but not as bad.

The thing is he isn't eating enough food(might be that I couldn't get his normal food so had to go for the nearest thing) and all he seems to do is sleep, no more playing or even sitting up looking out the window. The other part of it is he's very moody, one minute he's purring and happy with me but in a few minutes he could be trying to scratch my eyes out. He also used to hate being picked up and caused a big fuss if I tried moving him but now I can pick him up and settle him down somewhere else and the most I get out of him is a hiss, he kinda flops down to where I put him. This just isn't him.

Two other things that have been going on is he had some congestion and was coughing alot along with gluppy water eyes. And maybe the main cause of all this is my other cat had to be put down. Everything happened about two weeks ago with me bringing both cats to the vet, him for his coughing and her for a post op. The 13th she got too sick and had to be put down. That Weds/Thurs he started limping. To be honest I was consintrating on the other cat so much I don't know when he started acting like this.

I really don't know what to do with him, the vet can only really heal his leg, which is healing but slowly, his eyes are still not great but better than before and he doesn't have a temp. I'm going to buy his normal food on thursday, he might get a bit more lively with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Was he hit by a car or possibly had a fall if so the leg injury could be the least of his worries, did the vet make sure there were no internal injuries or head injuries. If not might be worth getting this checked out by the vet or a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Was he hit by a car or possibly had a fall if so the leg injury could be the least of his worries, did the vet make sure there were no internal injuries or head injuries. If not might be worth getting this checked out by the vet or a second opinion.

He's an indoor cat the highest he go's to is the window sill. To be honest I barely even remember what the vet had said to me or what she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Poor cat could be run down due to the stress, that with an injury could bring about the symptoms you described. Has the vet ruled out cat flu?
    One of mine had it as a kitten and has a flare up of upper respiratory probs when he's stressed, even though fully vac'd against it.
    Sick cats will sleep a lot, try some tasty tit-bits to see will he eat a bit more and make sure he's drinking ok. One tip vet gave me was to give one of the pouches(the gravy kind) with added water so its really wet, mine usually don't get them so wolf them down and lap up all the liquid.
    Sick cats can also act totally different so try not to worry to much.
    Sorry to here about the other cat, hope this fella feels better soon.x

You can clean the eyes with cooled boiled water on make-up pads, just use fresh pad for each eye.

mymo wrote: »
    Poor cat could be run down due to the stress, that with an injury could bring about the symptoms you described. Has the vet ruled out cat flu?
    One of mine had it as a kitten and has a flare up of upper respiratory probs when he's stressed, even though fully vac'd against it.
    Sick cats will sleep a lot, try some tasty tit-bits to see will he eat a bit more and make sure he's drinking ok. One tip vet gave me was to give one of the pouches(the gravy kind) with added water so its really wet, mine usually don't get them so wolf them down and lap up all the liquid.
    Sick cats can also act totally different so try not to worry to much.
    Sorry to here about the other cat, hope this fella feels better soon.x

You can clean the eyes with cooled boiled water on make-up pads, just use fresh pad for each eye.

I think the first trip to the vets ruled out cat flu(he doesn't have a temperature) he's drinking plently of water(even caught him drinking my water one night) He's a bit odd that he doesn't like the wet food as much as the dry.

Also I let him clean his own eyes, that's the one thing where he's himself on, if I try I bleed.

Another thing is he's not fully vacenated but the thing is he HATES being outside and only came into contact with my other cat(who was also always inside and was vacenated)

He just has me puzzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Back to the vet. I'm concerned that he allows you to pick him up but then hisses at you - this means he's miserable enough to be lifted, but possibly also in pain - hence the hissing. Cats internalise everything when they feel ill - they curl up into the smallest ball possible and stay very quiet indeed - and that's how you know something's wrong. It's good that he's still drinking, but he does need to go back to the vet.

Give them a ring first and explain over the phone what's going on. Monitor his behaviour - what he's eating, how he's moving, does it appear to hurt him to jump, stretch, or walk, is he fluffing his fur up at all, is he listless or lethargic, how does he react to your interaction with him, so on. Bring all that info to the vet with him. He certainly doesn't sound right in himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Could be that he's missing the other cat. My eldest dog had to stay overnight in the vet's last year and the other two were different dogs while she was away - even refused to chase a ball. Still, I think you should take him back to the vet just to make sure there's nothing else wrong

Damn, I was hoping it wouldn't be back to the vet. I still owe them alot of money for the other cat:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. When you mentioned him drinking water, even yours, an alarm went off in my head. You don't say how old your cat is but it sound to me like he could have renal problems. ie; early stage kidney failure. Now don't panic - my cat had it for a few years and I even went so far as to treat him with intravenous fluids at home. When you say that picking him up can cause problems, this is most likely due to pain/discomfort in the kidney area. The sleeping and lack of interest in food are also classic symptoms.
    The thing about cats is that they HATE to have anything wrong with them - they don't cope with feeling off colour very well at all.
    I suggest you take him back to his vet and have his blood tested for kidney problems. Also, they might screen for diabetes, as that can cause excessive drinking in cats too.
    I am so sorry to hear about your other cat - I know what's its like to lose a pet. My cat was 15 when I lost him and my dog was 18 when she got cancer. I think of both of them every day.
    Best of luck with you cat and keep us updated on his progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

For what its worth i'll throw my 2 pence worth in. My little fella who is normally as mad as a hatter completely changed to a quiet sleepy cat. Would hardly walk and when he did would lay down after a few steps. I took him to the vet and he told me after throwing Mac across the floor to see would he weight bear on his paws that he must of had a knock and was grand. Just a painkiller and TLC prescribed. He still wasn't right a few days later. I phoned the vet and asked could he be seen by the vet who had an interest in cats. When she saw hin, after a thorough examination she found that the lymph glands on his hind legs were all inflamed. She started him on antibiotics and within the week he was back to his old crazy ways. I hope your guy gets better soon and so sorry to hear about your other cat. Only cat lovers understand how hard it is when a cat passes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

your cat could just be grieving.

my gran died last year and we thought the cat was a gonner too. he stopped eating, would just lazy around, lost loads of weight and hair. the vet said nothing was wrong he was just grieving, as he would have been with my gran all day and he was now alone all day until my aunt came from work.

it took 6 months but eventually he came back to his old bullying self.

your cat could be lonely now being by himself all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Cerocco wrote: »
    For what its worth i'll throw my 2 pence worth in. My little fella who is normally as mad as a hatter completely changed to a quiet sleepy cat. Would hardly walk and when he did would lay down after a few steps. I took him to the vet and he told me after throwing Mac across the floor to see would he weight bear on his paws that he must of had a knock and was grand. Just a painkiller and TLC prescribed. He still wasn't right a few days later. I phoned the vet and asked could he be seen by the vet who had an interest in cats. When she saw hin, after a thorough examination she found that the lymph glands on his hind legs were all inflamed. She started him on antibiotics and within the week he was back to his old crazy ways. I hope your guy gets better soon and so sorry to hear about your other cat. Only cat lovers understand how hard it is when a cat passes

You are so right about that! When I lost my cat I nearly went out of my mind with grief and some people just laughed at me. But he was a huge part of my life and it was like losing a family member.
    That first vet you went to sound like a dork! Thank God for the second visit! On one occasion my cat was being treated for asthma when he actually had renal failure. I think it's so important to go to a "pet vet" and not one that treats all animals. There is no comparison between treating a cat and a farm animal. Glad to hear your little guy is back to being his crazy self!:P

Advertisement