Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[NTL] Internet access restricted to only one device/app

• 23-02-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi

I recently added a landline to my TV and broadband package with NTL.

In order to facilitate this they sent out a technician to install a new Cisco EPC2425 modem/router. He took away the old Motorola modem but left the old Netgear WGR614 router (as I had paid NTL for this originally). He connected the Netgear to the Cisco and told me I could just keep using the existing wireless connection on it.

When the connection was finally up and running I tried just using the Cisco on its own. The wireless would not connect at all but I could connect with a cable. So I went back to the Netgear and it seemed to work fine.

The problem I have discovered (that I never had with the old Motorola/Netgear setup) is that I seem to only be able to get one device/application connected at a time.

In the house we have 2 laptops, 2 XBOX 360s, a PS3, an Ipod Touch and a Nokia 5800 that can all use WiFi. If, for example, one of the XBoxes is being played online I will be unable to connect wirelessly with any of the other devices.

Just tonight I was watching a Sopcast stream on my laptop and my housemate couldn't access the internet on his laptop. In fact, I couldn't even access the web in my browser while the stream was playing!

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this so if anyone has experienced this or knows how to fix it please let me know!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

anybody? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭markpb

Some devices have a maximum supported number of attached devices, presumably by MAC address. I think my NTL box is set to three but I can't remember where I saw that. I could be called Max CPE or something similar. If you can't change it, I'd call NTL and ask them for a new box.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If the cisco is a router as well as a modem and you use it with the netgear then you are going to duplicate the routing function and this will cause problems.

Yeah the cisco is a router too but it wouldn't work on for me on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I have the same problem. I can only connect wirelessly using my PC. If I want to connect a laptop/other computer, I have to use a cable. Has anyone managed to get this working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Thats mad, I had the cisco and i had 4-5 devices connected to it no issues.

Why are you using the Netgear as well that thing is a piece a crap,

The cisco is more than capeable of doing the modem and routing etc.

check the wifi settings in it, also have a look around the DHCP and see is their only 1 IP address in the scope or something, i remember when i had it i thought it had something in the DHCP section about ip address pool and there was a number in there of how many address you could have.

ideally, i'd like to just use the cisco by itself but i can't connect to it even though my laptop lists it in the wireless networks.

i spoke to ntl this evening and their second level support were supposed to call me back but no word yet.

i spoke to ntl's second level support on saturday and they tried a few things but couldn't get the cisco working by itself. they figured the cisco and netgear wireless were interfering with each other so in the end they talked me through turning off the wireless on the cisco and said that should solve the problem.

it didn't. so spoke to them again on sunday and they said they'd have to replace the modem.

a technician came out yesterday and swapped the cisco for a scientific atlanta (?) and since then it all seems to be working fine!

Advertisement