Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3IRL Simcard

• 23-02-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,

Iwas after a Simcard from 3Ireland. I know that these are given for free from three.ie but you need to have an address within the ROI. I live in the UK so I was wondering if there is anyone who can help... Obviously I would refund the full cost of the forwarding expenses to UK by paypal/IBAN banktransfer!

If anyone is willing to help it would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    smilinguk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Can I ask why you need one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 smilinguk

For Skype in roaming on 3UK, 3ITA network. But actually I got a doubt now: it said on the website that you have to topup 20€ to have call abroad on skype. Does the same topup requirement apply to skype2skype calls or it is as in the uk totally free?

No I doubt that that'd work to be honest...

Besides data roaming charges on these networks are quite extensive so the same rules wouldn't apply from the UK.

3 networks around the world are sister networks so you pay as if you are in ireland. It is specified on skype faq that same rules for ireland apply throughout the 3network worldwide. I reiterate the 2 questions:

1) Do skype-skype calls in Ireland have restriction on PAYG (in terms of topup requirement)
    2) Is sb willing to send me a SIM to UK (paid for obviously!)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'll send you one if you want. I dont know the answer to your question though

• Advertisement

You've got a PM! Cheers

This won't work because of the data roaming rates. Trust me.

Besides why not just buy a 3UK sim?

Let me rephrase... the skype to skype call itself will be free however you'll get charged through the nose for whatever data the call actually used.

This isn't very doable to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Mr_Vestek wrote: »
    Let me rephrase... the skype to skype call itself will be free however you'll get charged through the nose for whatever data the call actually used.

This isn't very doable to be perfectly honest.

The data is going to cost THE SAME as if you were in Ireland. Please read the rest of the thread. You need to get a data bundle though for this be economical. 1gb for ten euro.but you can use your monthly 20euro topup for that. skype calls are the same price as on skype's official call charges. I.e. to uk landline about 2eurocent. If any more questons,please do not hesitate to post or pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mr_Vestek wrote: »
    This won't work because of the data roaming rates. Trust me.

Besides why not just buy a 3UK sim?

As several people have said, 3 Ireland customers can roam on several other 3 networks at no extra cost

Look at 3 like home on this page:

www.three.ie/international/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Giles_

SmilingUK, I've got something similar in mind for my travels, but have hit a snag - I don't think I can buy 3 Ireland pre-paid credit outside the country, without an Irish credit card.

Have you (or any other helpful souls on here) figured out a way of doing that too?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You'll need a 3 Ireland phone too to use the skype as the firmware is different between the networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I am in the UK but often visit Ireland so I have been looking at doing the same sort of thing as the OP.

On 3UK when you make a call using their Skype app it makes a "normal" phone call to a Skype gateway number and the call becomes VOIP at that point.
    Does the Irish one do the same?
    I had presumed it did, as when I installed the app on my 3UK mobile it asked me which country I was in and Ireland was on the pick list.

Reading though the lines on the 3Ireland price guide:
    Standard roaming rates apply when using your Skype-enabled mobile abroad.
    Does this mean "standard" as in NOT 3 like home?

The 3 like home bit says:
    With 3 Like Home, you can use your inclusive minutes to call standard Irish numbers
    So the Skype gateway number may not be considered as standard number.

The killer of the idea is this bit:
    €20 top up required for Skype access every 30 days

http://three.ie/pdf/ROI_PriceGuide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 like home rates will apply i.e. It's free once you top up by 20. 3Ireland skype calling works the same as UK

Advertisement