Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting Video Tapes onto DVDs

• 24-02-2010 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

I have lots and lots of Video tapes that I want to keep - priceless footage for a few years down the line :p:D

How can I convert them onto DVDs myself?

How long does it take to do a video (say its about 1.5hours long)?

Is this an easy thing for me to do?

What do I need to purchase?

Has anyone done this themselves in the past and can they offer me personal advice?

Thanks a mill with best wishes ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Deepwell

I'm not an expert but have done this myself. The two key components are a VHS player and a video capture device. Video editing software is optional depending on whether you want to cut out certain scenes or maybe put titles or chapters onto the DVD. This can always be done later on a new DVD once converted.

I presume you have a decent VHS player so the main question is what format the video output will be. Worst case the only output available will be via the RF cable (to the telly) in that case your capture device will have to be able to take UHF RF signals (i.e. a TV capture card). If your video has SCART output or output phono plugs (usually yellow - video, Red & white - left & right audio) then a capture device that just takes composite video will do.

For capture, you could either use a stand alone DVD recorder (as used now for a replacement to video recorders) or buy a TV or video capture card for your PC or laptop. Getting one with a USB interface is probably handier than one that needs to be plugged in internally. I used a Avermedia USB MCE for mine because it was delivered with a DEll media centre desktop but there are plenty of resonably priced alternatives now. Best bet is to see what models are locally available and what suits your pocket and then search forums like this to check users experiences to verify if it seems ok.

When capturing the video you connect the video output to the capture device using whatever cables are appropriate. You then just play the VHS tape and record using whatever capture device you have bought. So what ever length the VHS tape is how long it will take (editing is what pushes up the effort depending on how ambitous you are). Generally you burn the resulting file to DVD after you have captured it. Depending on the resulting file format Microsoft Movie Maker could be used to edit it (its frequently bundled with most Windows systems).

Hope this helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cocorocks

Thank you so much for your reply :p Appreciate it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I have the Pinnacle DV-170 for doing just that, hardware encoding is a must as it takes the strain off the processor and results in faster smoother capture of video.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+Video+Creator+Plus+HD.htm

Link to the new equivalent of the DV-170, got mine in PC World but shop around and you should pick one up on the cheap, mine was €100

Thanks for advice

Just thinking do you think I should hold off and wait until I can convert them to blue ray?

Hi again :)

I actually saw some Pinnacle Model in Currys myself recently...It was only when I went onto their website that it clicked. Currys had 3 different versions starting from €69 to €99. I was hoping to get something more affordable.

I did a search there on ebay
    Would you mind taking a look at this link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-VIDEO-CAPTURE-ADAPTER-VHS-TO-DVD-HDD-TV-CARD-M0_W0QQitemZ330419709731QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW?hash=item4cee8ca723

Do you think this would be a good option? Its very affordable, even if its no good, right? :D

Can you please tell me, how do I check my Dell Laptop to see if it meets the system requirments, or do I need to get somone qualified in technology to do this for me

Also, what do you mean by "hardware encoding is a must as it takes the strain off the processor and results in faster smoother capture of video"

Many many thanks & The best of everything to you

Cora:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

cocorocks, http://www.videohelp.com/ is a great site for user reviews and guides. I've been lurking for years. The tutorials and guides are put together by 'users' like yourself and myself.

videohelp have good user review 'lists', here's the one for capture cards, as an example:

http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards

---

For more technically minded guides and analysis of video codecs etc..

http://forum.doom9.org/

---

Hi Again

Thanks for posts

Has anyone bought one recently and if so where and how much (Video to DVD)?

Has anyone got one for sale?:D

Advertisement